Freezes when I hit Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezes when I hit Render

The file I'm currently working on has suddenly become difficult to work with. When I hit render SU becomes unresponsive and just sits there, eating CPU. The V-Ray windows doesn't even appear.

I've tried letting it just work. Once it took about five minutes and the V-Ray window appeared and it started rendering. Then the second time it just sat there for about 30 minutes where as I eventually force quit the app. I've tried restarting SU and relaoding the app, but the same thing happens. It just sits there.

I've not applied any V-RAY materials yet. Only SU mats.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: Freezes when I hit Render

I have just created a 800x600 render which took 4 hours from clicking render to seeing the Vray buffer screen!
    This is due to a grass roof and calculating all the geometry....file size is 10.3Mb! I suggest you send to render and go make a brew, make love to your partner, have a meal, go for a jog..... it may take a while but it will pop up!

Another way is to distribute the render over a number of machines which may speed things up for you!

Let me know how you get on. I read in one forum about some kind of Vray Image snapshot....will ask about on this if it helps to speed things up!?!? who knows!

Mat

Comment

I found that it's one specific map that does this. (just using skethcup maps atm.) when I delete it from the material list and let SU apply the default map it renders quickly.

but maybe it's due to the textures... I'll try to apply a different textured material to the same geometry.

The file is about 9.2MB. But the thing is that it was working fine before, and then the file was bigger! ...however, I think I then had V-Ray materials applied. Not just SU materials... might this be something..?
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

mmhm.... I added a V-Ray material to the mesh instead and now it works fine. The texture file SU uses is the same as the V-Ray material.
        But when I only have a SU material applied it takes aaaaaaages!

Comment

I've narrowed it down even more:

The issue happens when I applied the SU material to the component. (The component was a house where I'd painted the windows and window frames, but leaving the walls to the default material so I could paint the component instead of each face that made up the walls.)

If I instead applied the same material to each of the faces there was no delay. The V-Ray window appeared immediately.

So it appears that V-Ray is more happy with having each face painted, instead of default materials and components painted.

Rather unfortunate as it makes much longer to map each face, instead of just the component.

Comment

Cheers for your posting fella,

I always open the component and select what I need to map face by face... depending on the render view I choose, maybe this is why I couldn't help, but great investigative work.......... Sherlock Bewarned! we have a new cool cat in town! ;D

I'm currently crying over the render I am producing its bigger then Amy Winehouses coke addiction! - using the Vray Image thingy mabob! however waiting to see how that puppy works out!

M

Comment

Working...
            X