quick product feature sense-check before proposing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick product feature sense-check before proposing

I have a client who wishes a "vr version" of some stylised promotional material we have done. the stuff uses a specific treatment which is based on a style guide from client.

I have explained that it probably wont be possible to match the look 100%, either in vr panoramas or realtime VR.

in any case id like to try exporting a scene to unreal via vray and see how it copes translating the scene into unreal shaders. i dont hold up much hope as the shading setup is simple, but non standard.

i saw the "supported features" list, but its quite difficult to interpret never having used unreal.

our setup has no lights in it.. scene makes extensive use of vraylightmaterial/self illumination, mapped with falloff maps and screen-mapped textures. it also used vraytoon environment effect.

im guessing vraytoon i can forget about as a simple translation.... but the rest?

Hi super gnu,

VRayLightMaterial, Self-Illumination are supported including falloff maps but not in all cases. Screen mapped textures and VRayToon are not supported. However if you would send a simple sample scene with your material setups and the expected result I can take a look at it and test where issues could occur.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

thanks, ill package up one of the simpler scenes and fire it over... support@chaosgroup?

Comment

Yes, please send it using the forms from here: https://support.chaos.com/

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

ok i have submitted a scene/ticket.

Comment

Hi super gnu,

I have checked the scene and can say the following:
            • the falloff will not import correctly
            • the texture in screen space will not be set and mapped to the viewport space as it is not implemented in the VRayMtl
            • the outline effect will not import
            • if there are animated objects (translated/rotated/scaled or deformed) will not be import as such
            Overall I suggest the shaders and effects be made entirely inside UE and the geo be imported be it with V-Ray or Datasmith. But the entire project and final result requires more that basic (at least an intermediate) knowledge level of UE's functionalities.

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

ok, it is as i suspected.. in any case we have decided to go with a spherical video based solution... getting up to speed with UE during a live project seems a little...optimistic.

Comment

Working...
              X