Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayRT first impressions

OK I'll start...

first impression: very nice, quite fast...impressive integration for a standalone app.

the demo limitations are a bit annoying.

after playing with it for 10 minutes, it seems very solid (can't test DR with the demo), but it also isn't quite ready yet.
    IMO every aspect of vray should be supported, including displacement and proxies...
    i guess it will come with later updates.

a few quirks/bugs i noticed so far:

-) layer visiblility is ignored. since i organize everything with layers, it is crucial for me to be able to turn them on/off quickly, especially for realtime tests. a must for architectual scenes.

-) tiles map doesn't support color variation.

-) vray edges tex doesn't work in bump slot, for rounded corners.
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
    (can't test DR with the demo)
    Actually you can use one additional machine for DR (total of 2 machines for DR, one doesn't have to be your local machine).

-) layer visiblility is ignored. since i organize everything with layers, it is crucial for me to be able to turn them on/off quickly, especially for realtime tests. a must for architectual scenes.
    This seems to be a limitation of the 3ds Max SDK for now (V-Ray RT does not receive notification when layer visibility changes). There might be a way around it, but we'll have to research a bit.

For the other things, they will be added in an update.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 01-06-2009, 05:49 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

after playing with it for 10 minutes, it seems very solid (can't test DR with the demo), but it also isn't quite ready yet.
      IMO every aspect of vray should be supported, including displacement and proxies...
      I completely agree that these need support, but disagree that the release should be held off for all of them. There are workarounds for both of these things that do the trick, and basic material and light support for standard geometry is still hugely useful.

Spend some more time with RT and I think you will change your mind - the time savings it represents for material development alone make it worth it IMO. Setting up lighting for complex objects (particularly refractive materials) is also significantly faster, and therefore capable of much greater refinement in reasonable times.

That's my POV anyway.

b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Just tried the demo for the first time.. looks good so far.

But layers HAVE to be supported, it's such a key part of must peoples workflow.

/Thomas
        www.suurland.com
        www.cg-source.com
        www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Originally posted by suurland View Post
          But layers HAVE to be supported, it's such a key part of must peoples workflow./Thomas
          Yep, we should be able to add support for this soon.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
            I completely agree that these need support, but disagree that the release should be held off for all of them. There are workarounds for both of these things that do the trick, and basic material and light support for standard geometry is still hugely useful.

Spend some more time with RT and I think you will change your mind - the time savings it represents for material development alone make it worth it IMO. Setting up lighting for complex objects (particularly refractive materials) is also significantly faster, and therefore capable of much greater refinement in reasonable times.
            yeah, i ordered it anyway
            no doubt that it's very useful.

Just tried the demo for the first time.. looks good so far.

But layers HAVE to be supported, it's such a key part of must peoples workflow.

/Thomas
            yeah...it's a shame...but obviously autodesk's fault. i can't track the layer manager with maxscript either...
            hopefully vlado finds a way around that.
            Marc Lorenz
            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
            www.marclorenz.com
            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
              hopefully vlado finds a way around that.
              Yes, there appears to be a way to capture the layer visibility change; it just didn't occur to me at the time... (there are like 3 ways to get such notifications and they all work for different cases).

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Demo dissapointment!!!!!

Downloaded the demo. Got it up and running.

I am only running 1 machine (quad core) was very interested to see if it could handle Vray RT.
                But with the demo being soooo limited, I have no way of knowing.
                So the demo is abit pointless as most scenes have a tad more then 15 objects.
                Would prefer a demo that could open a scene I would be using in a work situation.

So not sure if would be worth my while purchasing it, if I cant tell if I can run it.

Otherwise with 15 objects, it looks great.

Cheers

Derek

Comment

There will probably be a way to get you a less limited demo version a bit later on.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by DEREK_DALLAS View Post
                    Downloaded the demo. Got it up and running.

I am only running 1 machine (quad core) was very interested to see if it could handle Vray RT.
                    But with the demo being soooo limited, I have no way of knowing.
                    So the demo is abit pointless as most scenes have a tad more then 15 objects.
                    Would prefer a demo that could open a scene I would be using in a work situation.

So not sure if would be worth my while purchasing it, if I cant tell if I can run it.

Otherwise with 15 objects, it looks great.

Cheers

Derek
                    I tested with a scene that had more than 15 objects... the way around it is to merge everything into a single poly. That's of course if your computer can handle it

Comment

"Store with irradiance map" on vray light doesn't seem to quite work, with the setting on the light is a lot darker. I can't see this on the "Unsupported features" list, so I guess there is a bug or something.

And with "store with irradiance map" on the render result and the result in Vray RT is not the same.

/Thomas
                      www.suurland.com
                      www.cg-source.com
                      www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

You'll get the same effect if you set the primary GI engine to "Brute force" in the standard V-Ray renderer (which is the method that the RT always uses). However you are right that it is somewhat unexpected and should be corrected.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Me again... "vray object properties" also isn't working, tested send and receive GI and "visible to gi", I couldn't see it on the list of "Unsupported features".

/Thomas
                          www.suurland.com
                          www.cg-source.com
                          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Please help me,
                            just download VRay RT. Make a simple scene with one object, VRay Sun, VRay Phys cam, test render ok. Then start VRay RT, but Its black without showing anything ((
                            AMD TR 7980X, 256GB DDR5, GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, Win 10 Pro
                            ---------------------------
                            2D | 3D | web | video
                            jiri.matys@gmail.com
                            ---------------------------
                            https://gumroad.com/jirimatys
                            https://www.artstation.com/jiri_matys
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAv...Rq9X_wxwPX-0tg
                            https://www.instagram.com/jiri.matys_cgi/
                            https://www.behance.net/Jiri_Matys
                            https://cz.linkedin.com/in/jiří-matys-195a41a0

Comment

Me again... "vray object properties" also isn't working, tested send and receive GI and "visible to gi", I couldn't see it on the list of "Unsupported features".

/Thomas
                              They do work; what does not work is the interactive change of these properties - you need to restart the ActiveShade view. To fix this I will have to modify the standard V-Ray though.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X