Library suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library suggestion

We are mostly working in the automovie visualization field, and we noted that there are several car paint colors missing:

- There is only one(!) yellow carpaint right now
    - There is no simple grey carpaint, only grey-metallic ones. We often need single layer grey, like Audi Nardograu or Audi Suzukagrau
    - setting the filter in the gallery to green returns no green colors, only blue or cyan colors. Some really nice green colors are missing: classic british racing green, or highly saturated colors like VW's "Viperngrün"
    - setting the filter to "metals" and "brushed" returns no results. I can't believe that after all this time there still is not brushed metal like aluminium, which is used a lot in the automotive field.

Regards

Oliver
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

thanks for the suggestions, perhaps we have to create dedicated sticky thread for this reason

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
      - setting the filter to "metals" and "brushed" returns no results. I can't believe that after all this time there still is not brushed metal like aluminium, which is used a lot in the automotive field.
      I think that's just a case of bad labelling. If you just set the filter to metals, a brushed aluminium is the first result.
      Would be great to have more though.

Cheers,

John
      Website
      Behance
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Wilyman View Post

I think that's just a case of bad labelling. If you just set the filter to metals, a brushed aluminium is the first result.
        Would be great to have more though.
        Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, John!

Comment

I have the feeling that in general VRScans are kind of neglected recently
          Would love to see more updates
          Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
          www.AddYourLight.com
          Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

not at all, just the devices are working for customers , nevertheless we are planing to add some new materials to the library.

Comment

Wow, didn't think that your scanning service was so popular
              Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

I repeat my request for a selection of brushed metals.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
                  Wow, didn't think that your scanning service was so popular
                  You and me both, Manuel.
                  When i was last in Sofia, hearing (and seeing!) how much the two scanners were being used, and how big the queue for work to be done was had me in awe.
                  I wonder if we could convince the powers that be to build one just for the general public, through kickstarter or something...
                  (oh i'mma get into trouble for this one... ^^)
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes, really. And beside the regular work (the payed scans) we still have some polishing tasks on the devices and the technology, that hopefully will disappear with the time. But despite the big amount of requests for payed scans, we are decided to extend the library, it's just question of time.

Comment

I am wondering what stance chaos has towards their vrscans service. It is a subsciption service and right now advertised with 650+ materials. So paying that subscription means you are currently paying for your promied 650+ materials. But with any subscription service the customers expect updates frequently and chaos is known for a healthy customer-communication.

Are we nagging and asking too much for specific additional materials? (these requests kind of battle with chaos additional paid service of individually scanned materials as an order.) You could say: stop asking already - if you want that kind of material, send us a sample and pay the fee!
                      How many updates in a year are planned or aimed for?
                      Can the customers expect a certain or specific development in hardware features?

I know chaos group and i know how much you guys care about your customers, so I am not too worried - if you would be Autodesk, I would not even subscribe, because I know where everything is heading (or not) lol

To be honest, I dont use vrscans so much in my job, as I have to be pretty flexible...if the client wants the material more matt or glossy it is hard to find a vrscan that does just that, so mostly I am sticking with the normal materials.
                      But I love to play around with materials and use them for my personal work and I am a bit of a quickly bored person who wants to try new things. So for the money I am paying I kind of expected more material updates, especially looking at chaos history of positive communication and pretty fast fullfillings of requests.
                      Would love to hear your stance.
                      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

The library will be upgraded for sure. There are many helphull materials missing now, but it's not only this, since the library was created, the technology was improved, we are able to scan larger samples, and developed new device with double resolution (33 microns aganis the 61 of the old device). Perhaps even some old materials may be scanned again. We are also able to decompose the materials to maps, that avoids the tweakin limitations existing in the vrscans shader.

Comment

The decomposition of the materials is not included into the software though, but by request to you, right?
                          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

It's not part of the plugin, it's a feature of the internal software used to scan and builds the materials. If we decide to provide maps with the new library materials, they will be added in the download section. Of course not all the materials can be decomposed to the widely used diffuse-specular model, for example you can't represent the holograms, the safe-vests (corner reflector), the most of the carpaints, some exotic non trivial anisotropic materials.

Comment

Also, there is only one (!) black metallic carpaint right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X