No announcement yet.

Tranlucent materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Well, may be would be better if i just share the material, it's not under license and everyone who wants can play with it https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfyepgtfh4..._cells.7z?dl=0
      just few tips before start playing
      1. Download the latest nigtlies for max or maya, there are some fixes for the shadows and the indirect lighting that are important for this material
      2. For good visual appearance the geometry must not touch the transparent zones in the material. The volumetric shader is actually 2d, there is no ray marching and if pure transparent zone is present in the mapping, the back side will be visible and the illusion for volume will be ruined. This material has two transparent areas - a small hole in the center of the slice and the area surrending the slice. Create a hole in the geometry that is a bit wider than the real hole, in order to be able to place the UV coordinates over pure opaque points. The same is valid for the outer area as well.
      3. The volumetric translucent materials keep the thickness of the scanned sample, you can see the value in the info field. You have to make the geometry model in real scale, otherwise the shading will be not correct - if you make the geometry bigger the result will have less translucency/transparency, and if you create the geometry smaller the result will be more transparent and translucent.

Last edited by Ivaylo Katev; 02-02-2019, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Fantastic. Thanks a lot Ivaylo!
        Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
        www.shack.de

Comment

Originally posted by Ivaylo Katev View Post
          here is an example. the material can be non homogenous as well, but oi have no good example here, that is not under NDA.
          What about this material. Can you share it or is it under NDA?
          Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

you mean the bunny material? no, it's not under nda, it's included in the library if i'm not wrong, but can't remember the name. in general this feature is not quite popular, perhaps because the customer do not know that we have it. i'm wondering where we can find free samples to include in the library, one possibility is to use soaps, they can be easily turned into slice, and there is big variety of soaps with different transparency and translucency

Comment

Soap sounds awesome!
              can't find the bunny material though..I don't think it's there
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

coming back to this. could you help me find that material or upload it, please?
                www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

really, i can't find it in the library, will try to dig it out from the machines here

Comment

i found it, the red one, and another green
                    btw, do not use builds between sep 9 and today (oct 24) for translucent materials, they were broken
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ivaylo Katev; 24-10-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

thanks! I will check them out.
                      Why are they not in the library though?
                      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

no idea, perhaps i was wrong when said that they are in the library.

Comment

It should be in there though.
                          who is in charge of everything?
                          I wrote to Gavril and to sales about vrscans and there hasn't been any reply.
                          Is still anybody there except for you?
                          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Dimitar Karagiaurov can add materials to the library, including the preparation.

Comment

I just tried to load the lemon_cells.vrscan linked in this thread. Max was freezing instantly and then crashed a few seconds later. V-Ray version is 4.30.02.
                              Is there a special version needed to load that file?
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

No, there is nospecial version, i will try to reproduce the problem tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X