3ds Max 2018

gulp…just got the email that it’s available for download…not particularity interested in putting energy into this…just getting 2017 running ok…

Installing now - fingers crossed

Seems they just removed mental-ray and put Arnold instead.
Maybe if they made the interface less eye watery but not even that.
Don’t see why I should even bother upgrading.

Something positive, they have removed the start menu for idiots (the potato), now we have a traditional working file menu.

Kind regards
Alex

Is there a restriction (knowing AD) that you can only have so many versions of 3DS Max installed ?

I have 2014 and 2017 - if I install 2018 I still have access to all three, right ?

(I know, maybe a dumb question, but I really don’t trust AD - eg. in my subscription area there are no download links for 2014 anymore…)

You can install as many versions as you want.

Best regards,
Vlado

We got adjustable trajectories, which is really cool.
Nodebased state sets coud be a game changer… If AD did it well, though.

Here is a link to the new features.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/download-and-install-3ds-max-product-help.html
For some reason the english link doesn?t work for me. From the german link the new features in short. Arnold renderer, better user interface with detachable menus, MCG enhancements. 78 new operators, better compiler .Editable trajectories. Status groups in SlateSDK. Whatever that means.

Ouch this is thin with the recent increase in price. Well the editable trajectories are a nice touch… Maybe ChaosGroup’s updates have spoiled me over the years but this seems like an insult.

Wow, it sure looks like a small update.
Maybe the doc is not fully updated yet ?

I would be already very happy with a comprehensive stability update.
Better a rock solid tool then a non usable version.

Only time will tell :slight_smile:

I thought there was something wrong with my 2018 install - quite a few of the ‘help’ links don’t work…

There?s a download link for a local version of the english help files in that link. Here the complete new features list excluding Arnold.

User interface improvements:
QT5 framework with enhanced docking
Timeline tear-off
Ongoing Hi-DPI icon conversion (370 icons converted)
Tear-off menus
Faster switching between workspaces
Modular main toolbar.

MCG:
Easy Map adds the ability to map over an operator by connecting an array of values for graph simplicity
Live Type displays computes types in the editor as you work
MCG type resolver improved so you no longer need to add extra nodes to provide hints about the type system in MCG
Compiler significantly improved to better optimize graph expressions, particularly with functions
No longer need to unpack MCG graph and MCG now uses compounds from the package
Consumes graphs in package form (.mcg) by simply dragging in the viewport
Automatic tool input generation
More artist friendly operator/compound naming and categorization
New Node Properties window with better operator/compound descriptions
78 new operators
See MCG Help for more information.

Motion paths:
Previews the path of animated objects directly in the viewport. You can adjust motion paths using transforms, and convert them to and from splines

State sets:
SlateSDK based UI gives you a more consistent look and functionality
New node based render pass management

Alembic
Visibility track support and shape suffix management has been added via MAXScript. See AlembicFloat Controller for more information.

Chamfer modifier
Chamfering now supports quad intersection to control how corners are affected when multiple edges connect to the same vertex. Also applies to the Edit Poly Chamfer tool. See Chamfer Modifier and for more information.

I wonder if there is list with bugfixes somewhere ?

now we just have to wait until service pack 3 before we can install it.
anthonyh

Just installed it. Lol, I’m literally facepalming. Another unfinished release (or should I say update).

Should I laugh or should I cry? What features/changes should we be excited about?

  1. Removing Mental Ray and adding Arnold is not a feature for me as I don’t use it (and won’t). Not to mention you will have to buy extra Arnold licenses if you want to do rendering on more than 1 PC. So basically removing Mental Ray is a step back, not an improvement.
  2. Adjustable trajectories - nice but I will very rarely use this so don’t care about it.
  3. Timeline tear-off - don’t care about it.
  4. MCG improvements - don’t care about it, don’t use it.
  5. State Sets improvements - don’t care about it, it’s so buggy that I never use it.
  6. The new interface, which is heavily advertise as a feature (go figure), is broken and unfinished. Docking is wonky - docked windows won’t return to their previous size (before being docked); you can’t resize windows such as Layer Explorer, Curves Editor, State Sets etc. if you don’t move it around your screen first (LOL!); you can no longer minimize windows (Layer Explorer, Curve Editor etc.) or make them full-screen; if you resize Command Panel (the panel on the far right) black bars appear on top of it, blocking the buttons and other elements.

Pfft… Skipping this comical “release” again. Nothing of substance in 2018. Another 1400 EUR down the drain. Maybe I should have listened and not renewed our licenses this year. :evil: We will be staying on 2016.

Just compare the new features list of Houdini 16 and Max 2018. Literally makes you cry.

I guess they forgot the 4K support!


This does not bode well :frowning:

And they want us to pay for this crock of s**** ?

Apparently, there is a download for the help we need to install, that wasn’t included in the installer.