Maya 2011

What’s in this installer that makes it 100mb larger than 2010?

Any details you can share on the LightTree? Is it a new GI or something?

GatesB, Is the Vray for Maya 2011 in your adv list in the download section yet?. Where did you find this info?. Neither I can see it nor Maya 2011 is released till april.

Reaverswoods, it was in the nightly builds list. You can get access to the nightly builds by emailing vlado chaosgroup com and requesting access to the nightly builds.

It contains some files from other versions of V-Ray for Maya; will fix that - thanks for the pointer!

Any details you can share on the LightTree? Is it a new GI or something?The light tree is a method for accelerated rendering of scenes with many (hundreds of) spot or IES lights, without reducing render quality.

Best regards,
Vlado

You never will go to sleep without know one thing more!. Thanks for the answer GatesB.

FYI, It’s still a large file Vlado. We’re getting Creation Suite 2011 when it comes out, so I’m kinda watching this closely.

27th March build is back down to normal. 8)

Yes, should be much better now.

Best regards,
Vlado

Hi Valdo,

could I get access to the nightly build to test Vray with Maya 2011.

Thanks

Yannick

Hi,

Any news how Vray is working with Maya 2011? I’m going to download Maya 2011 via Autodesk Subscription Center tomorrow and it would be absolutely great if I can install Vray alongside Maya 2011.

Are there any conflicts if I keep my “production-proven” Maya 2010 with Vray and install Maya 2011 with compatible Vray? I’d love to make a move to Maya 2011 as soon as possible if Vray works fine on it.

Regards,

We will officially release a V-Ray build for Maya 2011 around the end of this month; if you need it sooner than that, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
Vlado

Thank you, Vlado, for you lightning-fast response and fine Vray product for Maya.

I’ll send the email tomorrow from my office.

Regards,

I am currious why it need until end of month to release - i see nothng new in 2011 to last that long

There should be no problems having multiple versions of Maya and V-Ray for Maya installed at the same time. Our official release will be around the end of this month, but if you need it sooner than that, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
Vlado

In regards to Maya 2011, I’m just testing it now with some vray materials and tried setting the viewport renderer to Viewport 2.0, but Vray materials just turn up as a pink shader. Is there no way to get VrayMtl’s to show up in this viewport mode? It’s the same for High Quality Renderer mode (though no pink shaders here;).

This also happens with mr shaders. I think ADSK should’ve named it “Viewport 0.2” really…not 2.0. :wink:

haha that’s absolutely ridiculous if even MR shaders don’t work.
What’s the point of “upgrading” the viewport then? They didn’t say anything about that in the video tech demos they showed…
Anyway, quite happy with the new stuff otherwise, it feels a lot more snappier on OS X too.

Yeah, it’s a work in progress. For me some meshes don’t display (imported from another program - but this same mesh will render fine) you probably already noticed, component operations do not work, area lights do not work, Anti-Aliasing (for me) doesn’t work, Bounding box display does not work…etc…etc… this is what I meant by “.2” because that’s what it really is.

It’s really an alpha IMO, but one day it will replace the current viewport and it will be great because of the massive FPS gains and higher quality.

I think I read somewhere ADSK devs had this new tech available, Max went the way of Quicksilver hardware renderer and Maya went the direction of a new viewport (which I’m glad they chose).

At present there are no hooks for us to implement the V-Ray materials in Viewport 2.0. Hopefully the API will be opened in the future (like in 3ds Max).

Best regards,
Vlado