Unable to install version 3.0

Hi all,

I’ve just tried updating 2.9.1 to 3.0 on one of our machines (have already done it successfully on a few others) however for the first time I’ve come across this error:

Which is then followed with this:

It’s a fairly recent rebuild of Windows 10, all latest updates are applied. It seems that the installer managed to uninstall 2.9.1 fine but is now unable to install 3.0.

Can I have some suggestions please on how to overcome this?

Many thanks

@SamSB , please uninstall any remaining version of Enscape, then reboot the machine, run the Enscape installer again and in the first window of the installation process, where you will see the checkbox named ‘I accept the terms in the License Agreement’ make sure that is checked. This will enable the Advanced button which you should then click to proceed to the next window which will offer you the option to install for all users of the machine.

Let me know if that doesn’t do the trick, and a warm welcome to our Forum! :slight_smile:

Hi Demian,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I checked that no other versions of Enscape are installed (the previous one was uninstalled on my first attempt to install 3.0) and rebooted the machine. However as soon as I run the installer, even after a reboot, the first error message comes up (There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package). It doesn’t get to the stage of accepting the EULA.

Bizarrely I can still install and uninstall 2.9.1 successfully, I’m not sure why 3.0 fails. I ran it again this morning with the switch to log and this is some of what it says:

=== Logging started: 18/03/2021 09:43:02 ===

Action 09:43:02: INSTALL.

Action start 09:43:02: INSTALL.

Action 09:43:02: SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled.

Action start 09:43:02: SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled.

CustomAction SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled returned actual error code 1157 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Info 2898.For WixUI_Font_Normal textstyle, the system created a ‘Tahoma’ font, in 0 character set, of 13 pixels height.

Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled, entry: SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled, library: C:\Users\ADMINS~1.OMA\AppData\Local\Temp\MSI17B7.tmp

MSI (c) (D8:F0) [09:43:09:873]: Product: Enscape – Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled, entry: SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled, library: C:\Users\ADMINS~1.OMA\AppData\Local\Temp\MSI17B7.tmp

Action ended 09:43:09: SetPerMachineIfAlreadyInstalled. Return value 3.

Action 09:43:09: FatalError.

Action start 09:43:09: FatalError.

Info 2898.For WixUI_Font_Bigger textstyle, the system created a ‘Tahoma’ font, in 0 character set, of 19 pixels height.

Action 09:43:09: FatalError. Dialog created

Action ended 09:43:10: FatalError. Return value 2.

Action ended 09:43:10: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Property(C): UpgradeCode = {CD38131E-FA1C-4D75-8CAD-A66F1D17738F}

Thanks for the quick reply. In that case, I would therefore highly recommend that you first perform a check that your Windows is up to date. If this does not resolve the issue, it could be a permissions problem. Please be so kind as to double-check that you have all needed permissions to view the following folder: C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local

Thank you again in advance!

Hi,

Yes Windows is completely up to date with all updates. I’m using an Admin logon which has full permissions to all folders, but have checked the C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local folder just in case and it has full permissions to it.

Any other suggestions? This is really a head-scratcher.

Just an update - I tried to remove Enscape 3.0 from a machine where it was previously installed to see if the problem was machine specific, but when clicking on Uninstall I was greeted with the same error message “A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run” which made me think that maybe something had changed with our endpoint protection software. I disabled it on a test machine and sure enough, I could run the installer successfully as before.

So it looks like it’s our endpoint protection software that has suddenly started blocking a specific DLL. I’ve raised a case with them to try and get it resolved. At least we know what the cause looks to be now.

Many thanks for your help

Awesome @SamSB ! I’m very glad to hear you were able to find the cause behind this behavior - it can always be rather frustrating to run into such issues from the perspective of a user, so always happy to receive good news. :thumbup: