GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
    freelance 3D artist
    www.ghiom.com

Comment

Originally posted by ghiom3d View Post
      10 000 path per pixel in 10 minutes with 6x GTX580
      Nice render !
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]6157[/ATTACH]
      You should calculate $$$ per path on electricy bill.

Comment

You can also estimate how cost a 10 hours render with 1 1000w PSU instead of 1 hours render with 3000w
        You can also imagine how cost a non respected deadline because you have prefered to use less electricity and slower render
        freelance 3D artist
        www.ghiom.com

Comment

Hey, the 10k paths is great!
          That could be the new bench limit for thoses that wanted a higher value to compare high end configurations.

I was wondering if someone could make the settings of the production render (normal vray) matches with what we have in thoses 2 scenes configurations.
          We would be able to compare not only the cpu version on vrayrt but allso vray production cpu. Does that make any sence?
          I thought that dual bruteforce was the way to configure the production render to match exactly rt...

Any way, nice configuration that you have there, I wonder what all thoses benchmark would give with the new gtx460 2win from evga that has been annonced, looks like a really promising card for RT, isn't it?
          And with all thoses in a GPU-Xpander Rackmount 16, that would burn everything down!

Any idea of how much cost the desktop xpanders and the rackmounts?
          It's maybe cheaper to just put all thoses cardes into 3-4 nodes in DR, what about the linear numbering of cards when they are in nodes on DR? I know it's related to the network speed, but with so many cards, is it still usefull or the network delay kills all the benefit of having so many cards?

So many questions, sorry about that

Thanks

Stan
          Last edited by 3LP; 21-03-2011, 04:26 AM.
          3LP Team

Comment

@3LP : If you already have nodes wich can receive some GTX, it's cheaper than buy Cubix system. But DR isn't powerfull as internal .
            With Cubix, you can add more GPU to only one computer than a motherboard can do.
            Also, your CG cards are cooler inside a cubix than inside a tower. And you don't need to change you psu . A CUBIX is a 1200W psu for GPU.
            You don't need too to take care about licences and updates on nodes with a Cubix, because it's like it was inside you main computer.

I'm running 6 580gtx on only 1 computer ( 1 CPU / Ram / OS / HDD / PSU .. ) with 2 cubix.
            If i want to run 6 580 with nodes without cubix, i need to build 3 full computers . buying 3 cpu, 3 psu, 3 motherboard, 3 HDD .... it as a cost too .
            putting more than 2 580 inside a computer is really making them hot at my experience .
            freelance 3D artist
            www.ghiom.com

Comment

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?h...mpage=1#757729

Comment

I'm studying how to watercool my 10 GPUs .
                But it's cost like 5 GTX580 .

Using a car radiator is a good idea. But waterblock, pump and others stuff are expansives.

Any tips ?
                freelance 3D artist
                www.ghiom.com

Comment

Hi Ghiom,
                  I saw you have 4 Zotac GTX580 inside a 4 slot box.
                  Do you think that an EVGA Series 2 with dual xeons + 4 GTX 580 is faster than a Cubix 4X attached to a dual Xeon Intel board with 2 PCI 16-x only slots?
                  How many euros cost a 4 slot box?
                  I have to decide if purchase a 4 slots box or a motherboard with full 4 pci-x slots...

Comment

Hello Saulade,
                    I don't know if everything inverything plugged on the motherboard will be faster . I don't think that's make much difference.
                    If you already have a computer with 2 pcie X16, you can put a cubix ( 2, 4 ,8 , 16 ) on a pciex 16 and add an cg card or cubix on the other pcie 16X. then, you have more GPU than an EVGA.

Remember that Cubix have 62db fan !! if you like silence, you would prefere to go with an EVGA and 4 cards.

I don't know how much is an EVGA + PSU + box + memory + HDD + os + Fans + licences . building this box + install all drivers+ install software and laters updates ... it's taking time just like a renderfarm node.
                    That's why i choose cubix.
                    The other think wich make me to choose cubix solution is to have more than 4 GPU on my computer to setup my lights, materials ...
                    DR is working great, but it's not as fast .
                    And finally, if you want to put 4 gpu inside a PC tower, i would suggest you to make them water cooled because they are very near and hot.
                    If you want to send render for nights and days, it's easy to damage your computer.

My Cubix Xpader Desktop4 cost me something like 2100€ + TVA and others taxes . without any GPU inside of course .
                    How much is cost a full tower with enough psu ( 1200w just for 4 GPU, then you need more to motherboard, hdd, cpu ... ) EVGA serie2, Enough RAM ( you need more than 3go Ram per GPU ) , dual Xeon , fast HDD ....

About Ram , i have try to run 2 580gtx on a Q6600 4go ram and it's not stable when rendering . With 6go it's ok .
                    My workstation with 6 GPU is 12go ram and rendering very fine .
                    freelance 3D artist
                    www.ghiom.com

Comment

The GTX 590 comes out in a few days which may save people from having to buy a new mobo. 1024 cores on one card.

Edit: 590 card has finally been released:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...s%20Family&sw=
                      Last edited by scottsch; 24-03-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ghiom!
                        having me 7 workstations I think I will purchase 7 GTX580 to start to play seriously with RT, because the temperature, because 4 gpus inside a case will burn...or probably 7 GTX 590 is the best choice...but now very expensive.
                        Unfortunately I have all my mb with one PCI express slot only.

Comment

Ordered 2 evga 590 hydros. Will post numbers.

Comment

@Saudade
                            1 GTX580 ou 590 per motherboard is nice.
                            2 is Hot because they take 2 slot each one and you haven't enough space between them to run cooler.
                            To play game, i think it's nice, but rendering is burning more and longer .

@ Scottsch
                            I would love to replace all my 580 with 590 !! but it's much money and i would like to know how much a 1024 cores card is Hot ?!?
                            freelance 3D artist
                            www.ghiom.com

Comment

Do you think that the gtx590 will burn into the cubix Xpander Desktop4?

I would love see what are your results with the 590 hydros from evga...

Is that the gpu with the most processing power? I have seen someware that msi is selling a 590 card wich can be overclocked at 38 % by software and be able to be bether than 2x580 I think.

Look forward for thoses results!

@ GHiOM: is it possible to purchase more pci16 cards for the cubix? If I buy a Xpander, I would love to be able to pass the Xpander from one workstation to another depending on the needs. And it would be much easyer if each workstation had that special pci card in it so we could just swap from one workstation to another without having to take the pci card out...

Thanks a lot!

Stan
                              3LP Team

Comment

@3LP : Yes you can buy how many Pcie x16 card you want . they aren't so much expansive.
                                Hot plugg is not possible, so you just need to turn off your 2 computer, waiting 5 seconds to make the Cubix really off of any power, then you can plug it on your other computer .

Ihave read that the GTX590 aren't really optimized to beeing cool . the cooler isn't good at all for this monster.
                                Remembering that what we do is 3D RENDERING, i would prefere to stay with 580 because they are cooler and by this way it's safer for them and for the Cubix.
                                One other thing is they can eat 450W !! i'm not sure that the cubix can give so much power . The desktop4 is a 1200W . So something like 300W per card . it's enough for quadro, tesla, 580, 480( but this one is 10°c more hot than a 580 ) ..
                                The 590 doesn't seems to beeing a good card for rendering unless you give it a very powerfull PSU and a water cooling .
                                freelance 3D artist
                                www.ghiom.com

Comment

Working...
                                X