X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpnichols
    Originally posted by Syclone1
    Originally posted by joconnell
    At the moment I'm just messing around with it, I'll be starting a proper ad using it on thursday so I'll get something up then by the latest.
    may be a stupid question but can you create fluids with FumeFX or just fire and smoke?

-dave
    Smoke and Fire ARE fluids.
    ok ok smart a$$

may be a stupid question but can you create WATER OR LIQUID effects with FumeFX or just fire and smoke?

better?
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Nope - they use similar equations but fume can't be used to make a continuous surface like a fluid. There's no water shaders with fume and it's not designed to create those effects. There are some things to link fume and pflow (though I havent looked at them yet) which might mean you can make fume simulations use pflow to make particles - might be able to use something like blobmesh to generate a surface. Best off using glu 3d though I'd say.

Comment

First Impressions

I am gagging to get my hands on Fume to check it out but will need to justify using it for an actual project
        So for anybody already lucky enough to have it, how is it going with the intial tests ? Good or Bad ?

Comment

Very Good

It is extremely happy on a quad and there is an amazing preview window. Still has some of the same UI stuff as Afterburn which could be improved IMHO but it's not too complicated. The tutorials are well written... oh did I mention the really cool preview window

Haven't tried it fully with VRay yet but simple tests look to work well and render about 1/1 with the DSL.
          Jon Reynolds
          Method Studios

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the update - all I need is the right project and I'm sure I can convince the powers that be to get it for me - I love new toyz :]

Comment

Okay so far so good - fume is rendering inside of vray quite nicely - especially with the adaptive subdivision aa it's quicker than the scanline via undersampling. Admittedly the job I'm doing isn't directly smoke related so it's a weird one in terms of the look but it's difficult to argue with the movement - it's great having fume as a solver for pflow too so you can have fluid behavior on regular particles...

Comment

Great, keep us informed joconnell

Comment

I could be wrong here but I think fume has one very nice feature - If you make a fume sim, you can use particle flow and make your particles follow the movement of the fume sim - it seems to immediately pull the fume vectors with no need for a re-sim so you can use any pflow particle count or position on a really low res fume sim and get nice results!

Comment

another good thing is the scalability of the sim, once its done you can then resize it if needed
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Great

Sounds good so far

Comment

I seem to be having problems loading saved settings though. Anyone else???

Should probably get onto the support forum there
                        Jon Reynolds
                        Method Studios

Comment

i will try to replicate that here JR
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

How intelligent is the program/plug-in actually?

I mean does the smoke knows which way to go? for example i have a hall with an open window and there is wind blowing in it.

Comment

yeah its pretty intelligent, i need to get into it a bit more but so far its really good
                              Chris Jackson
                              Shiftmedia
                              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Examples people - examples!
                                MDI Digital
                                moonjam

Comment

Working...
                                X