3Dsmax 2010 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
    (*) Ribbon with static UI. If I change the sub-object the UI don't must change.
    When I first read this thread, i thought 'ok, he may be taking this a bit far'

Then I used it.

So you go to edge select mode. You look up, see where extrude is. Sound. Do your thing, switch to edit poly and... Extrude has moved half way across your monitor to a different position, in a different box surrounded by different tools.

Not even joking, what the fuck do autodesk think they are playing at? This happens with every single tool and there is no relation between them aside from the tiny icon. it's awful and even makes a mess for newbies like they claim to be catering for.

I heard a talk on TED a while ago about how the human brain is much better at pattern recognition than it is words. (its why we recognise faces better than names) So if you make an interface filled with complicated shapes/nonsense that stays in the same place it is actually easiar to understand at quick glance than one which is a bunch of words that move around, even though it may seem more imposing at first. This is how the brain works, why make it harder.

I am actually quite angry about this, it's such a huge step backwards it almost has to be an april fools joke.
    Last edited by Neilg; 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The 2010 Ribbon: like working in a tool shed possessed by a drunken leprechaun.

It's pretty bad and from what I am reading... it looks like 3ds Max 2011 might be full fully converted to the ribbon. "We're working our way through the product.,but we'll have to ship the old and new interfaces for awhile until we can fully retire the old interfaces."

Another victim of the Autodesk ribbonization UI overhaul is Revit 2010. Here is a description of what a user thinks of it:

http://architechure.blogspot.com/200...ad-paving.html

"The UI in Revit 2010 is like working in a tool shed possessed by a drunken leprechaun. Or maybe one designed by a committee with a 2-year lead time."

"Every time you put down a tool to do something else, the tool get's put away. But here's the difference: it's not in the same place twice. It depends on what you're about to do with the tool.

No kidding.

Need a hammer? Well - depends. If you're going to hammer a nail, it's on the pegboard above the bench. But if you're going to pull a nail, it's in the drawer to your right. If you're going to chisel a bit of wood, we'll - it's in the box on the shelf behind you. But if you're going to smash something (like the drunken leprechaun that haunts your tool shed) it's in the silverware drawer in the kitchen."
      Last edited by rmejia; 04-04-2009, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I don't want see this in 3ds max! After I see this video I take a medicine for my new headache ghh... Autodesk... listen your user please! And see this image:

www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
        Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Ribbon

Relax! The ribbon has been in AutoCAD for a year and once you get used to it it is nice.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

glorybound, use this UI for modeling in Max for some hours. After write your opinion

We must move back and forth from Command Pannel to this animated Ribbon UI because the tools are in the 2 different UI. Ribbon is slow, Ribbon is big, we can't disable the useless big tooltips, if you put the ribbon vertically you can't minimize etc...
            I'm relaxed, but i must write my impression

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

I didn't get into the hype of max 2010, they screwed up too many times before:
              -advanced lighting
              -layer manager (still no update)
              -character studio (kinda)
              -mental ray (took em some releases to make it behave ok)
              -schematic view (anybody uses this?)
              -reactor
              -viewcube
              -weak releases
              -neglected tools
              -abandoned tools
              -bugs
              -etc, etc, etc

I know I sound harsh but I agree it is way better release since long and I understand why people are happy, they are good in marketing, but I want more. A lot of the 2010 feateres sounded cool in the list but once you see them in action they are kinda disapointing. But they seem kinda getting awake and I am curious what that xbr thing is.

I do have to say I still have to test 2010 so...
              Last edited by raymarcher; 04-04-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I'm fine by it as long as they don't force people to use the new UI, and for now you can disable the ribbon and keep working exactly like before. I think the Graphite tools are a wonderful inclusion though. (I've been using Polyboost before)

Comment

stop crying

stop Crying ...........
                  i have work with most of the auto desk software and i have seen many changes
                  if you know your software you will know that all the hot keys are still there. take auto cad as an example i started on auto cad r14 and now working on 2010
                  its all the same ..........lol cry a river built a boat and get over it lol

what i do want to know is how will vray take advantage of some of the new things 2010 has?

Comment

Yes, but in Autocad you can choose from the bad Ribbon UI or the old classic style. And in my life I see all Autocad user uses the good old UI with static toolbar.
                    I ask the same thing to 3ds max. Give me the possibility to delete the Ribbon and use the old command panel. It's so difficult? Or we need some scripter for a custom UI? Mmm...

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

you can't close the ribbon?

Comment

Yes, but in the Ribbon you have all Command Panel tools (Exture, Chanfer etc... ) but not vice-versa. This is a very stupid solution! So, you need both UI for modeling/manage the object.
                        Obviously, we work the 90% with Command Panel open. Now, because AD add the new Polyboost tools only in the Ribbon, we need two big UI. And, Ribbon is horrible. Slow, big, animated (see for example the crazy Revit Ribbon OMG!). If I model, I don't need every time when I change sub-object, Ribbon icon change position. Why? Make the Ribbon UI more compact, static and done! Like old Polyboost UI. I've a headache after some hours of modeling with Command Panel + Ribbon (back and forward, back and forward, back and forward etc... ) . And... do you see the "little" tooltip" Mmm.... The solution: waiting some writer for make an old-stile UI or some tool to edit the Ribbon: delete the duplicate button, no tooltip, no animation, compact. This is what I ask to Autodesk. It's no so difficult IMO.

Last, if you put the Ribbon vertical you don't have any minimize button and... Another problem...

(*). I open 3ds max. In the main toolbar, near the Layer manager tool, now we have a Graphite OPEN/CLOSE button. Perfect.
                        (*). Now the Ribbon is horizontal. I add in the toolbar the ROTATE RIBBON button.
                        (*). I click Rotate and the Ribbon is Vertical (more obvious position with Widescreen monitor)
                        (*). Now I want to Close the Ribbon, because in vertical mode we don't have the minimize button ( I don't know why... ) , so I click the OPEN/CLOSE button in the Main toolbar...
                        (*). TA-DAAA!!! Another Ribbon in horizontal position, and the vertical is in place! F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! Now I've two Ribbon in my 3ds max UI. Ahh... FUNNY!

Last edited by cecofuli; 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                          I heard a talk on TED a while ago about how the human brain is much better at pattern recognition than it is words.
                          Do you remember which TED article that was?
                          http://www.ted.com/

I'm trying to find it.

Comment

I cant remember, but I think it was an audio only version I heard.

It's suprisingly hard to find with google, I can mentions of it in other studies but no actual studies about it. hm, i'll have another look later.

Comment

here a fair review of max 2010:
                              http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code...id=3968&page=1

bottomline:
                              As usual with new tools, there are always things that leave you wanting. For example, there seems to be no undo for many of the Graphite tools. There are also multiple options that I wish were available in the Material Explorer, now that there is a Material Explorer. However, on the whole there is a ton to see in this new version. If you are a new user looking to get into 3ds Max, the 2010 release is really solid and one of the best modelers and all around packages out there. However, if you are a current owner of 3ds Max 2009 and also own PolyBoost and other debugging scripts...then this upgrade may not be worth the $895. A free 30-day trial is available at http://usa.autodesk.com so users can see for themselves. Enjoy!

Comment

We are thinking moving to 2010 and just wanted to clarify couple of things.

Could anyone already on Max2010 confirm if it's possible to move this "ribbon" stuff onto the second screen or switch it off.
                                The other, more important, question is how stable is it, both at work and rendering?

Thanks

Zoran

Comment

Working...
                                X