Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
    What exactly do you do with krita?
    non destructive tonemapping. layer linked to exr file plus burn adjustment layers.
    there are some destructive options as well. quite an underrated software for cgi post.
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Comment

That sounds pretty good! I'll check it out.
      i love arionfx but when things change in the scene the tonemapping (obviously) changes, so I'm trying to stay in the VfB for everything
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

VFB is probably the best place to do tonemapping if you do photoshop post anyway. highlight burn (nice desaturation in highlights absent in ArionFx), curves and also LUTs now (I use Filmic Blender)
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Where can I find the lut, please?
          I only found the OpenColorIO configuration... Which I don't even know what that is lol
          Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

OCIO can be loaded into VFB as well.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
              OCIO can be loaded into VFB as well.
              how exactly are you using it?
              I played with the different inputs etc. but nothing that I could work with is the result...
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

you might be looking at it through srgb transform in vfb. turn it off.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

Yeah, but switching it off and leaving OCIO to Linear-SRGB-SRGB OETF gives me the same result as without OCIO. Switching it to other modes make everything over contrasty or washed out. I tried correcting then with exposure, contrast and highlight burn, but nothing looks really good.
                  I am very confused. LOL
                  www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

apart from input and output you should have few transforms to chose from.
                    anyway - try these two: https://we.tl/t-HVvPYxYKTw
                    I’m without access to my pcs so this is all I have for now. full set should be ~6 with varying contrast.
                    made from Sobotka’s Filmic Blender OCIO, will need my pc to dig up the source.
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

cool thanks alot!
                      very high contrast, even the basic one...maybe for that I have to render out even flatter...
                      I was thinking that I should maybe aim for a LOG-like rendering to have more control in post.
                      anyway, see the screen attached. Should there be more controls than those three?
                      Attached Files
                      www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

looks good. “view transform” dropdown shoul contain all included contrast options (looks).

you don’ have to “aim” for flat rendering - with default color mapping settings and PBR shaders VRay will give you “flat” look on 8 bit display. blacks will be “milky” and highlights will be well above value possible to display. to fit it nicely to this display you need S-shaped curve (by whatever means available) - blacks will get deeper and highlights will be compressed to fit 0-255 sRGB range.
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

Filmic Blender OCIO converted to LUTs:
                          https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...333#post826333
                          Marcin Piotrowski
                          youtube

Comment

Hey thanks, I have to try them out. I didnt get anything pleasant with the OCIO. It was a different kind of contrast, but not anything of my liking.

Here is an update. Doing a presentation for a client, using the same room I showed you guys when I started this thread, but with various changes, not only in the materials of the walls and a different floor, but also using the techniques I learned from your input.
                            This room was still a challenge and I did use a huge plane light from top, acting like a bounce from a flash. and then another one from the left to further brighten the furniture, which has to stand out and look its best.
                            I had the reinhard burn value down to 0.05 and then these settings in the VFB.
                            Personally I would love to get more detail out of the highlights without having to reduce the burn so much and furthermore use curves. Even then sometimes the highlight burns are too strong.
                            Thats why I am a searching a way to further flatten the raw render...
                            Last edited by MANUEL_MOUSIOL; 16-05-2019, 01:59 AM.
                            www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

wait, you have reinhard burn on 0.05 (in vrays color mapping) and than also highlight burn 0.05 in vfb?
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

I mean highlight compression in vfb
                                Marcin Piotrowski
                                youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X