No announcement yet.

V-Ray scene within a scene.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By VRobject I guess you mean VRayScene ?
    Yes sorry, I was trying to differentiate between the 3DSMax VrScene container object, and the *.vrscene file itself.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "but they display and render fine in the source file".
    Do you mean that the scene renders correctly in V-Ray, but not in Vantage ?​
    That's correct so I modeled the building in 3DSMax (using Railclone and some native geometry), exported to a VRscene file, imported this to another 3DSMax file where I cloned and transformed them (displays and renders fine with Vray), and then exported that to a new VRscene file for bringing in to vantage (complete with lighting/cameras/other itoo objects & geometry).

I used this workflow (using VRScene as a container within a 'master' scene where it's composed with other elements) for an animation rendered with Vray CPU and it worked great. I was able to edit the building in isolation, aligned to world, and not have to worry about composing multisub materials to capture all the materials in the building. It also gives me a nice, decimated mesh to lighten up my 'master' scene and (I think) maintained the instancing optimisation that railclone does where it can in the background.

Just as a test I just brought that building in isolation back in to the 'master' and the transforms are all messed up again, so definitely something to do with the export process rather than import in to Vantage.

I wonder if it's something to do with the railclone objects in the original file not having their pivots at the origin​
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thomas_bussey View Post

Just as a test I just brought that building in isolation back in to the 'master' and the transforms are all messed up again, so definitely something to do with the export process rather than import in to Vantage.

I wonder if it's something to do with the railclone objects in the original file not having their pivots at the origin​
      Thank you for the explanation.
      Like Alexander mentioned, he was able to reproduce the issue.
      The VRayScene transform (from the master vrscene file) is applied twice to Instancer (RailClone,ForestPack,etc) objects in the referenced vrscene files.
      It's an issue with the VRayScene support in Vantage, we will try to have it fixed for the next Vantage patch.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

It does appear to be an issue in 3DS Max as well then (not that I'm sure why you'd ever need to make a VRscene within a VRScene in max) but it's the same thing happening as far as I can tell.

Attached Files

Comment

It does appear to be an issue in 3DS Max as well then
          Hm, that might be something else, we will check the scene you attached.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by thomas_bussey View Post
            It does appear to be an issue in 3DS Max as well then (not that I'm sure why you'd ever need to make a VRscene within a VRScene in max) but it's the same thing happening as far as I can tell.
            Yes, that's another issue entirely.
            A VRayScene within a VRayScene is not supported in V-Ray (and Vantage follows this behavior).
            There must be a bug in the preview code in 3dsMax, it should show nothing.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
            X