Liquid in a cyclone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid in a cyclone

I'm working with liquid in a cyclone simulation. In the end, the main flow should come out through the outlet on top, while heavy fraction containing minerals should fall at the bottom outlet. The fluid is non newtonian. It's not easy to configure the fluid to climb up on center. The physics behind the phenomena is that when going down, the fluid picks up the speed and start rising in the middle, where's less resisting pressure. Heavy particles cannot climb up so they fall towards bottom outlet. I started to get some results, when I reduced the gravity to the value of 0.1.

Or maybe I should try smoke instead of liquid in the simulation.

One problem is that the liquid stops rotating too early. Is there any external forces I can try?

Comment

Hey,

How about if you use the Particle Tuner. Maybe you can make the heavy particles one color and the light ones another and pushe them around in different sides using the Tuner.

These videos should help:

https://youtu.be/inxR_2A_RTo

https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...eParticleTuner
      Georgi Zhekov
      Phoenix Product Manager
      Chaos

Comment

Thanks Georgi,

I'm testing this right now. Anyway, I'm using tyFlow particles and two-way simulation. I try to get the stone particles fall at the lowest point just before the liquid starts to rise upwards in the center of the cyclone. I'll let You know what happened. I'm using a spiral as the initial path. I might not be able to use particle age, since the particles should follow the stream that fall to bottom pipe.

One thing I was thinking; would it make sense to have a smoke simulation inside of the liquid to show how it's moving? When system is filled with liquid, the movement cannot be observed. It look like it's tumbling on spot.

Comment

I'm testing the path operator, but somehow I'm not getting what I want. In fact it's going worse. The scene units are in mm. What would You change in my setup?

Comment

You can certainly try a smoke sim as well. It might work depending on what you're after.

Can you show us the other settings in the Grid and the Dynamics rollouts?

Also can we see how this looks in motion, it's a bit diffucult to tell what is going on from the screenshot.

Thanks!
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Please find attached the grid and dynamics settings.

Also there's a screenshot of the particles, which should always stay inside the liquid. Is this more like tyFlow issue.

If I choose to use smoke as well, it's only for visualizing the liquid movement. Particles should be driven by the liquid. Also there's one issue. The liquid will take two direction. Most should go upwards in the middle of the cyclone and small amount of it should fall downwards. How can I tell that to Phoenix simulator.

Comment

It seems a bit better now. However, I can't see the liquid going up in the middle. Also the spiral rounds are detached. Is it the pipe radius, I need to increase?
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey,

For controlling where certain portion of the particles should go - check the videos on the Particle Tuner I shared above.

What do you mean that the spiral rounds are detached - you wish the liquid to strictly follow the spline? You can use the force preview in the Preview rollout and pick the Path follow in order to visualize how it will affect the sim - then it should be easier to dial down the pipe radius.

​
                  Georgi Zhekov
                  Phoenix Product Manager
                  Chaos

Comment

Thanks Georgi,

To make sure I was wondering if we are referring to same particles. I'm talking about tyFlow particles. I'm trying to remove stones from non newtonian fluid.

The fluid should be going down while accelerating. Then on bottom it should turn upwards in the middle. However stones being heavy don't go up, they keep on falling.

Edit: By looking at preview, I noticed, my path is reversed. Now doing yet another version after cancelling that.
                    Last edited by JuhaHo; 05-01-2023, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I just don't get it. It goes up, when it should go down.

Comment

Yet another simulation,

I wonder what I need to change in order to have the liquid go all the way down. At this point, it starts going upwards. The cyan cone in the middle is excluded from the simulation. It's the for tyFlow particles to prevent them entering to the clean liquid outlet.

Comment

Regarding paths, are multiple splines allowed per Path follow force? In the next phase I should combine streams from three different emitters apart from each other.

Comment

Hey, in the nightly builds of Phoenix 5.01.02 we added multispline support: https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/phoeni...ghtly/20230112

Did you manage to get the liquid to move in the proper direction? You might test how it works with gravity turned off just in case...
                            Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Thanks Svetlin,

Yes I managed, I just reversed the spline. At the moment I'm simulating the next phase where I would need to simulate the results of this cyclone events (there's total three cyclones). There I would really need multiple paths.

Is this multispline support coming to R4, or do I need to start counting pennies (which I don't have), to get R5?

Comment

Working...
                              X