No announcement yet.

New V-Ray feature revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all love vray for it's speed, but to be honest to get specular hilights you have to use a slow technique: glossiness!

I don't have problems to use glossiness on product design, but i have a huge and massive problem with architectural scenes! There are to many objects which doesn't need realistic specular highlights but i can only decide between fake highlights and slow GI calculation with std materials or realistic highlights and slow rendertimes with vraymtl.

fake highlights is a must have for renderer.
    www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

• Well

i think there are many nice features the chaos team has created. First i thougt, to use unlimited geometry amount would be uninteristing. But from the moment you get this feature i am sure you will never want to miss it.

But yes you ´re right. real good opacity would be a feature absolutely needed . As well as fake highlights. Some things realy doesn´t need super highend quality mostly big architectureal scenes .

And by the way. What exactely is a "clip mask", egz. didn´t heare anything about this before ?.

Tom

Comment

• im already past the point where i need this unlimited geometry. there is no going back for me. This scene would crash in the blink of an eye

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

• A clip map would remove the geometry not adjust opacity, it is possible to do it now with displacement but an automated slot in the material would be nice.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

• I havn't figured out the displacement slot in a VRay Mat yet but I wonder if that would do it?

--Jon

Comment

• Simply use a Blend-Material instead of a clip map

to be honest I do not see the need for a clip map, I barelly need it, and if , the I simply use a Blend material with two VRay mats. The VRay Mat needs a lot more, the old Lightwave technique of clip maps would be at rank 135 or so, much more important would be a separate slot for GI diffuse/caustics or a spinner to simply desaturate it and fake specular highlights. Simply look at the FinalRander Material, you simply could adjust everything. What is power without control? -- NOTHING !!!
              Valentin

...forget Warp 9, engine-room please switch to Vray-speed...

Comment

• Clipmapping was one of the first mapping types in lightwave... with reason! I still think LW is the most optimized package for 3d artists..
                anyway i'm on max now for other reasons so i want to explane how you WILL use clip mapping:
                You can "cut out" trees, ppl or the leaves on trees! Even higher grass is possible with clipmaps.
                It's very usefull and would make creating materials much easier, if it's materialdependent and not objectdependent.

Opacitymaps with vray are still like gambling and maybe a clipmap will solve most of the problems with the vraymtl.
                www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

• Wouldn't clip maps also be much faster to render?

I have wanted clip maps a long time for speeding up when i have a ton of flatleaves on planes.
                  /Andreas

Comment

• Also could you lucky sods that are playing with the new version please put up some interesting pictures showing it in it's new glory?

It would be very interesting to see more situations and render speeds please.
                    /Andreas

Comment

• f97ao if you look in the gallery my condo is approxmately 50million+ polygons. i lost count

---------------------------------------------------
                      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

• I tend to agree with 3dform about finalRender and all its myriad of choices. When I started in on these new fangled renderers fR was sooo complicated and overengineered that it made me nauseous just thinking about using it. I went to brazil cause it seemed to much simpler. Vray seemed even easier then Brazil!

But now that Ive got a good hold on what I need to create what I want, I WANT FLEXIBILITY! Give me all the options per object or per material. Give me options. I love the real speculars that the vray mat gives me, but there are SOO many situations where a very simple specular is needed for an object aways from the camera that just isn't doable with a glossy mat.

When we can throw away all these workarounds, then IMO, vray will have finally matured into the most kickass renderer.

Percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                        X