Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... i thought i´d be the only one with that viewport experience

Comment

bit offtopic, but to those of you having the weird misaligned top/front/side views, are you using cameras in your scene? i found that if you start switching between the camera view and other views, within a very short time they'll get misaligned, and youll have to restart max to fix it (until it comes back again when you use cameras )

ive actually submitted this to Autodesk through their bug report system, and subsequently got a response from them saying that they were able to reproduce the issue following my instructions and that they will fix it in the first service pack...so fingers crossed...

Comment

With regard to the misaligned view, I have found (if you have your viewcube active) that if, for instance your front view is screwed up, you can align the viewcube to Front, and click it a couple of times, then your front view will become aligned again.
        Daniel Black
        Archtagon LLC
        www.archtagon.com

Comment

Regarding the new vector map. Quick test on a scene using DR, 2k illustrator file masking some small details on a refraction-heavy object, the rendertime went from 8 seconds to 107 seconds. Switched the mask to a jpg and everything's fine again.
          TD at http://brinkhelsinki.fi

3ds Max 2013 with VRay 2.30.01.
          Win 7, Intel Xeon X5675, Nvidia Quadro 5000, 48 gb ram.

Comment

I tried a Vector map and it just caused a hang at building the light cache. Can't seem to get to work - has anyone had any luck?
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

I have used the vector map recently on a urban planning project. An AI file mapped on a terrain.
              It initially posed some problems with net rendering on an external render farm, as it seems to not use max's standard file I\O system, and all the slaves rendered the vectormap icon\thumbnail over the whole terrain even though the texture path seemed correct. The guys at Rebus were great and fixed this shortly with a small script for max, and setting an option in the preferences dialogue "save strings in legacy non-scene files using utf8".
              When it worked, it actually worked quite well, but I did notice that DR was having slight hiccups, where buckets would render areas with the map fine, and suddenly all of them would pause slightly before continuing.
              The biggest issue I have with it now is its "filtering\mip-mapping" is not so good. It is painfully obvious when animating a camera moving towards or away from this texture, resulting in sudden\sharp borders between the mip-maps where line thickness is also affected slightly. Also glancing angles makes the map look like a blurred game texture from the original xbox. Not sure if this will ever be fixed, as Autodesk has a shady track record with fixing their own stuff, and adobe also seem to hate their customers. Not sure which company is responsible for maintaining this map.

To conclude..... its fine if you are going to use it on surfaces not slanted too much away, and that stay at a reasonably steady distance.
              Last edited by trixian; 29-05-2013, 05:54 AM. Reason: typos
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

Hello Vlado,

being end of may, i was wondering if the new official release will be out soon

thanks!

Comment

Yep; there was an issue with the V-Ray physical camera and the new camera matching tools that we needed to fix in the meantime...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Looking forward to the new release. Maybe I can actually work with max 2014...I didn't even use 2013 once for production.
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

me neither, didn't use 2013, but now i'm full with 2014.
                      viewport performance is great, which is what matters most.
                      just waiting for SP1 now

Comment

Good to hear that. Will be great once vray is compiled. Nice to be able to use the new features.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i am so fed up with max2013...so i am desperately waiting for the vray Sp to appear.
                          Martin
                          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

We too are holding off on 2014 until the sp comes out. still using 2012 here

V Miller

Comment

you can still use the vray for max2013 installer on max2014. Works without problems (with small lightlister patch vlado gave)

i guess we are all waiting for the new sp (i'm myself checking every few hours )

Comment

Looks like the 2014 sp is up!

Comment

Working...
                                X