Material scanning service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado View Post
    I'm sure the question of approximating the scanned materials with a regular VRayMtl material will come up at some point... the results will not be as accurate, but many users can probably live with that. We haven't gotten round to that part though.
    One of the difficulties I get is knowing whether it's my material brightness, my light settings or my camera settings which are inaccurate when making a material - all three can contribute to something being wrong. If we have some scanned samples for various standard materials, say a chrome, a dull metal, a shiny plastic, a soft plastic and a rubber, we know that the result each of the scans renders with is the correct look for whatever lighting and camera settings are in our scene. This could be a very handy target for some of those fundamental materials and could act as a useful target to aim for. Admittedly we'd still have to guess the balance of diffuse versus reflection amounts but we'd have some very good starting points for our normal vray materials afterwards.

Comment

how about a vray scan of a macbeth chart
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Ha! It'd be accurate for the specific macbeth chart that gets scanned alright but not necessarily our ones - I'm going to use the colormunki photo at the weekend to do some spot scanning of the tiles on my chart to see what values it gives.

Comment

The FaQs are up on VRscans.com , the sample scenes have been redone, and while we wait to publish them for everyone (little nags to get right still), I can publish some of the results you'll get from opening and rendering them.
          All shaders are VRscans, but hardly any is used "straight".
          Rather, the more i worked with the scenes, the more i realised how the VRscans can be used just as another tool in the shading arsenal.
          Anyways, make sure you download and look at them 1:1 :
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ChairCloth_anim_far_new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	860050 Click image for larger version

Name:	ChairCloth_anim_mid_new.jpg
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	860051 Click image for larger version

Name:	ChairCloth_anim_close_new.jpg
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	860052
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

a few more.
            Notice that between renders only the camera position changes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	metalball_fullSubject_new.jpg
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	860053 Click image for larger version

Name:	metalball_detail_A_New.jpg
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	860054 Click image for larger version

Name:	metalball_detail_b_new.jpg
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	860055
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Looking great, Lele. Will the published scenes have both Max and Maya version?

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
              The FaQs are up on VRscans.com , the sample scenes have been redone, and while we wait to publish them for everyone (little nags to get right still), I can publish some of the results you'll get from opening and rendering them.
              Rather, the more i worked with the scenes, the more i realised how the VRscans can be used just as another tool in the shading arsenal.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]29000[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29001[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29002[/ATTACH]
              always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
                Looking great, Lele. Will the published scenes have both Max and Maya version?
                yes sir!
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Awesome! Look forward to test it out with SP3...
                  always curious...

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29000[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29001[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29002[/ATTACH]
                    What's happening to the backside of that draped fabric, below the chair? It looks completely black
                    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

nice spotting it, i'll fix it (backside off )
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

420$ USD per scan, ouch! I guess this is not for the average user.
                        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                        Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                          420$ USD per scan, ouch! I guess this is not for the average user.
                          Not the custom scanning yet, and not because of the price either: there IS the one scanner only, right now.
                          However, for the "average user" access to the plugin (well, to it rendering without watermarks. the plugin and sample files have been renderable with vray 3.x since forever.) and library is a mere 25Euros a month on a yearly sub.
                          Thankfully, either way, none of the standard V-Ray features have been impaired in any way, and those choosing the tech isn't for them can continue to work unhindered, WITH full access to the scanned materials library.
                          If and when they'll choose to use the shaders they see would suit them, they will be able to hop in for relatively cheap, and render happily away.
                          With enough interest (we may just have our own kickstarter, yay! :P), things will surely look up, in terms of costs and volumes of scanners and scan services available.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Not the custom scanning yet, and not because of the price either: there IS the one scanner only, right now.
                            However, for the "average user" access to the plugin (well, to it rendering without watermarks. the plugin and sample files have been renderable with vray 3.x since forever.) and library is a mere 25Euros a month on a yearly sub.
                            Thankfully, either way, none of the standard V-Ray features have been impaired in any way, and those choosing the tech isn't for them can continue to work unhindered, WITH full access to the scanned materials library.
                            If and when they'll choose to use the shaders they see would suit them, they will be able to hop in for relatively cheap, and render happily away.
                            With enough interest (we may just have our own kickstarter, yay! :P), things will surely look up, in terms of costs and volumes of scanners and scan services available.
                            So it's a shader library that has limited adjustments? that's on a plug-in subscription? I assume if you licence it and decide there is not enough materials to justify the monthly cost will your existing projects with vrayscan will have watermarks?

I like the concept but it's sounds like a subscription based material library "Autodesk style"...No thanks!
                            Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                              So it's a shader library that has limited adjustments? that's on a plug-in subscription? I assume if you licence it and decide there is not enough materials to justify the monthly cost will your existing projects with vrayscan will have watermarks?

I like the concept but it's sounds like a subscription based material library "Autodesk style"...No thanks!
                              Permanent licenses do exist, of course.
                              That's a general FaQ page, the site has a contact form too: feel free to use it, there are real (and quite bright) humans behind it, and they'll surely try to help you out.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Permanent licenses do exist, of course.
                                That's a general FaQ page, the site has a contact form too: feel free to use it, there are real (and quite bright) humans behind it, and they'll surely try to help you out.
                                Pricing for permanent licencing is not on the general faq page. Good to know it exist.

Thanks!
                                Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                                X