Latest on SP3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
    So, what are the benefits or vector displacement over normal displacement?
    Check out this thorough explanation of the differences between bump/displacement/normal/vector displacement.

That link came from this thread.
    Last edited by beestee; 20-02-2009, 01:47 PM.
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

Thanks for the link. I see now. I guess then it would be impossible to create a vector based displacement image in say, photoshop, from scratch like you can with a 2d displacement map. Looks to me like you need to have modelled the geometry first anyway before using the shapes vector displacement map to displace other geometry.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

You know, i'd also chip in and say how the fog is really awesome and renders in a flash even with it working with volume lighting and textures to create - well whatever you want, nor will I say i want VRay's babies, because Vlado would break my legs.

Comment

Originally posted by beestee View Post
          Check out this thorough explanation of the differences between bump/displacement/normal/vector displacement.
          It seems very odd that the guy used ambient occlusion to create bump maps. If he used a z-buffer, he would have gotten the nearly the same result as with the normal map.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

But if you use zbuffer isnt the zbuffer distance calculated from the centre of the camera to a radius rather than a flat plane which the ambient occlusion would do...
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

no you can specify the distance from the camera where the zdepth starts.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

But if you use zbuffer isnt the zbuffer distance calculated from the centre of the camera to a radius rather than a flat plane which the ambient occlusion would do...
                Yes, but you can use an orthographic camera...

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Ah, i see
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Thanks for the link. I see now. I guess then it would be impossible to create a vector based displacement image in say, photoshop, from scratch like you can with a 2d displacement map. Looks to me like you need to have modelled the geometry first anyway before using the shapes vector displacement map to displace other geometry.
                    Well, not impossible (they are RGB images anyways), but perhaps very very difficult. In any case, SP3 will have some tools to help bake the required displacement and normal maps.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Hello Vlado,

Just few questions about displacement in general with sp3...

Lele said that vector displacement is very fast... but does the classic displacement became faster as well or it's a very different technology, so it's not possible to get the same speed for different kind of displace ?

If 2D displacement is not faster in SP3... Is-it possible to use vector displacement for simple 2d Displacement ?

Best regards...
                      Last edited by stilgarna; 25-02-2009, 10:42 AM.
                      My Flickr

Comment

Vector displacement works only with 3d displacement mode. There is no significant difference in render speeds from previous versions of V-Ray, although RAM usage is somewhat more efficient, both for vector and normal displacement.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

I hope we'll see some screenshots for this. A picture says so much more.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            Vector displacement works only with 3d displacement mode. There is no significant difference in render speeds from previous versions of V-Ray, although RAM usage is somewhat more efficient, both for vector and normal displacement.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            Thanks,

I was hoping that vray displacement became faster than renderman...

Maybe next time...

SP3 looks great... hope it will be out soon

Best regards
                            My Flickr

Comment

Awesome changes.

All we asked for was a circular light and we get all this instead. =)

=)
                              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by stilgarna View Post
                                I was hoping that vray displacement became faster than renderman...
                                But that's exactly what the tests @ Frantic showed
                                Of course, with screen-space edge length, and a similar look.
                                That is, not making edge length sub-pixel in VRay too, just comparing production-grade renders.
                                In fact the speed advantage becomes greater the more water we had to displace (ie. a far horizon would have Renderman displacement die there, while vray would fly through).
                                Lele
                                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                                ----------------------
                                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X