I Robot & Digital Domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Robot & Digital Domain

Anyone know if DD is using VRay for I Robot?

--Jon

Sorry
    Just a moment of confusion. When I typed Digital Domain I was thinking Digital Dimension

Nevermind
    --Jon

Comment

You were right - "I Robot" is being produced in Digital Domain

jan

Comment

Yeah, When I read that I was just thinking immediately of the great work Digital Dimension's been doing with VRay
        On that same note, I've seen The Last Samurai two times and nothing disturbed me about the CG elements, great work Digital Dimension. Also when I rented Final Destination 2 the logs and other CGI translated perfectly to video.

--Jon

Comment

I asked friend of mine at Digital Domain and he told me that I robot is purely RenderMan. Also he pointed me out on their site http://www.irobotnow.com/

jan

Comment

nice...thanks for the link , honzal

paul.

Comment

Well this is a little off topic now but since you all are interested, here is a link to the directors site where he's nice enough to answer some questions

http://mysteryclock.com/forum/topic....=&TOPIC_ID=667

Reminds me of how great Vlado is on this forum.

--Jon

Comment

Oh, and they should have used VRay

--Jon

Comment

Originally posted by J_Bug
                  Oh, and they should have used VRay

--Jon
                  yeah, I think so too......I mean, their rendering is good but nothing that one can't do w/ vray...........I wonder if renderman is generally faster then vray....

paul.

Comment

cpnichols has mentioned that it's much slower. Seems that the only selling point now days is the motion blur.

--Jon

Comment

J_Bug - great link great open minded director

What I know about Vray in a film production - everybody saying - till it will be a standalone or at least Maya plug, studios will not use it with Max ( believe or not but vfx people still like their nice maya boxes better

jan

Comment

Originally posted by J_Bug
                        cpnichols has mentioned that it's much slower. Seems that the only selling point now days is the motion blur.

--Jon
                        renderman is much slower when it comes to high quality raytracing. Otherwise it is an probably the best scanline rendering engine in the world... problem is, everyone wants effects that are better suited for raytracing.

BTW, digital domain uses a lot of different software, a lot of which is there own software, even some of their own rendering engines. Some of their software is even for sale...

http://www.d2software.com/index.html

ps... not advertising.... just really cool software.

pps... it would be impossible for Digital Domain to use vray since they do not use 3ds.

Comment

just small off topic Do you guys know who created the word "ROBOT" and what is that mean ?

jan

Comment

I found this:

The word robot comes from the Czech playwright Karel Capek, sometime in the 1920’s. The Czech word ‘robota’ means work. Issac Asimov, the profilic science and science fiction author, invented the word robotics in the 1940’s to refer to the study of robot technology.
                            From http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Actually I do...

It was the Late, Great...

ISAAC ASIMOV

but I think it was based on a very similar word from an author whom I can't recall from his same country.

Let me see if I can find the reference where I read this. It may have been in the preface of his book Gold.

--Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X