Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I pretty much only use the old one

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      I pretty much only use the old one
      same here
      also still using the old scene explorer - can't stand the new scene explorer
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by tricky View Post
        Was wondering if I could do this. How???
        go to slate's "view" menu and you'll see "Lay Out All L"
        I have seen folks press L to do this, but for me it switches me to left view, so I just use the menu.

Comment

• Originally posted by elivnA View Post
          I find it odd because, as i'm sure a lot of you guys do as well, I have a 2 screen monitor setup. And having a fullscreen nodal-based material editor on my left screen is tons better than a tight, compacted, limited and ultimately outdated material editor that doesn't resize and has limited material slots. In the beginning the slate editor was laggy and buggy, but now I have next to no problems with using it. Frankly, i've never gone back to the old one. So easy to make materials this way in one giant working sheet where i can have bitmaps floating seperately, drag > copy, multiple tabs. I really don't see what the hate is all about really. And if you make a mess you can easily have them automagically arranged again. Not to mention the advantage of seeing your material tree in one bat of the eye.
          Ditto...rarely go back to old one...the new one fits my flow better.

Comment

• Slate is great for when you finish making a massively complex material and want to make sure the correct bitmaps are instanced. It comes in very useful for 1% of my material creation time at the very end

Comment

• Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
              Slate is great for when you finish making a massively complex material and want to make sure the correct bitmaps are instanced. It comes in very useful for 1% of my material creation time at the very end
              Sorry, I have done this in the past also but I'm pretty messy you guys will soon find out.
              On production you need speed!

So I start at the bottom material, very quickly match the look, move to the middle layer, adjust that, then finally the top if needed.
              It's a repetitive process but one that I've gotten so used to makes complete sense to me at least haha.

Some of my work mates use it, some don't. But ironically, the guys who don't use it enjoy shader creation more.
              admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• is there an ETA on the materials? Maybe I missed it, but how will it be announced? I too, am getting excited!
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com
                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                  Some of my work mates use it, some don't. But ironically, the guys who don't use it enjoy shader creation more.
                  It's the same here - I think that's just more to do with some being better at visualizing final results without having to test. Some people have trouble keeping an entire shader network inside their head so they use slate to make it slightly easier to keep track of whats going on but they were never the kind of person who was going to enjoy it anyway.

There's something weirdly satisfying about it - I made a cloud using the standard max editor and procedurals a few weeks back and slipping into the zen-like zone while it spirals out of control in complexity is great fun.
                  Last edited by Neilg; 27-11-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Burrnnnnn hahahahahaha
                    It's all good man, we aren't mutants like the other freakshows using it./

I will be emailing you all Saturday with information about Sunday Nights release (Creating a mailing list)

this thread has gotten out of control and once it's released, a new one will be created for those who purchased to share their results, give feedback, offer inspiration etc.

----------------------
                    Mastering CGI
                    CGSociety Folio
                    CREAM Studios
                    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisS View Post
                      second that
                      +1 for me too

Comment

• Grant what about the subscription?
                        pre release paid included the subscription or not? I did not received a mail regarding subscription.

Comment

• I never even got purchasing details
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

• If I'm not mistaking the price payed it's for 1 year subscription.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
                              I never even got purchasing details
                              Did you email me @ admin@sathe.com.au ?

I have double checked and I never got one from you.

----------------------
                              Mastering CGI
                              CGSociety Folio
                              CREAM Studios
                              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                                Grant what about the subscription?
                                pre release paid included the subscription or not? I did not received a mail regarding subscription.
                                Content will start being released this Sunday night and you will receive any and all future content for an entire year.

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X