Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, especially seeing as how there is a goal of converging the vray infrastructure across the different modeling platforms. My question is - will these materials be provided in the *.vrmat format? If so, I'd be very interested in the prepurchase.

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by [COLOR=#333333
      (Uploads Bertrands scenes using Grant's materials lit by Peter's hdris and waits for the profits to roll in)[/COLOR]
      As long as you don't mind. Then everyone's happy
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• I'm a picky CG person, I'll never be happy

Comment

• Great materials across the board Grant. Count me in. And a material that has me stumped: Dichroic sheet glass. It seems like I've tried a bazillion combinations of falloff maps and multi-layered materials, but I can't get the correct interaction of the two colors. I'm thinking this type of glass would need a specific shader written specifically to solve its unique problems. Maybe you've got some secret sauce in your toolbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichroic_glass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichroic_filter

Comment

• Originally posted by Sliver_Creations View Post
            Count me in! This seems like an awesome deal to get further into Vray. I am also interested to see if it possible to get vegetation shaders for geometry grass, leaves and leaves-planes (as the basic vray 2sided is not perfect) tree bark, rocks, flowers and I could go on and on
            I'd like to see this too, shaders for 3d grass and leaves would be nice. also snow, ice, and sand etc... would be good too.

some nice work there grant

Comment

• So last night I worked on some army materials.
              (Diffused metals, green dull metals, rust etc

I've also been working on the car section.

So I've got some pretty sick stuff to finish off over the weekend before I can deliver! I'm really excited to hear what you all think.
              There will be some updates tonight and I will start emailing the first people about purchasing today.

I will include some bonus content also Things like correct lighting setups for cars from HDR light studio (In order to get the best results from the shaders)
              admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                So last night I worked on some army materials.
                (Diffused metals, green dull metals, rust etc
                Cool I'm very interested in these
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

• that sounds perfect. cant wait to test for some nice close-ups!

Comment

• Hey Grant

What about organic mats. I'd be interested in Skins, reptile type skin, insect exoskeleton etc.

Thanks
                    Gavin Jeoffreys
                    Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                      So I've got some pretty sick stuff to finish off over the weekend before I can deliver! I'm really excited to hear what you all think.
                      There will be some updates tonight and I will start emailing the first people about purchasing today.
                      I will include some bonus content also Things like correct lighting setups for cars from HDR light studio (In order to get the best results from the shaders)
                      Sounds great can't wait

@joconnel
                      Thanks for your input about the bubblegum/paint shader.
                      Like I said I would love to avoid using opacity maps in order to keep reflections. And I tried different setups with a vray dirt map as blending mask but sadly I didn't find a solution smart enough to react to the geometry.
                      What I mean is that I want to avoid using specific maps so that if the geometry changes the translucent/opaque parts change too.
                      Still thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate it.
                      Cheers,
                      Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphr View Post
                        Sounds great can't wait

@joconnel
                        Thanks for your input about the bubblegum/paint shader.
                        Like I said I would love to avoid using opacity maps in order to keep reflections. And I tried different setups with a vray dirt map as blending mask but sadly I didn't find a solution smart enough to react to the geometry.
                        What I mean is that I want to avoid using specific maps so that if the geometry changes the translucent/opaque parts change too.
                        Still thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate it.
                        Hi ralphr - This is might be a dumb idea and I'm no expert, but what about using VRayFastSSS2 in raytraced mode as your primary material and plugging VRayDirt into a slot like Scatter Radius?

Grant - I'm interested in your materials and tutorial package\subscription but do you have an approximate list of the first 24 mats? Metals, wall paints, and woods are kind of my area of interest although I'd of course love to see how you build any of your mats.

Thanks,

Dan

EDIT: Or plugging VRayDirt into fog color? Although that may not solve your reflection problem.
                        Last edited by danio; 15-11-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• @Danio
                          There are no dumb ideas
                          I played around with FastSSS2/vraydirt but I never really got it to really look translucent and if I did it kinda looked like glass. But it was more of a toying around between projects I'll give it a more in depth look once I have some free time again. I just thought maybe grant has done something like this once and maybe has a solution ready.
                          Last edited by Mokiki; 15-11-2013, 02:27 AM.
                          Cheers,
                          Oliver

Comment

• Originally posted by danio View Post
                            do you have an approximate list of the first 24 mats?
                            Not yet sorry but I will have one before I take money from anyone!

Egyptian copper/brass pretty cool and its procedural

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by ralphr View Post
                              @Danio
                              There no dumb ideas
                              I played around with FastSSS2/vraydirt but I never really got it to really look translucent and if I did it kinda looked like glass. But it was more of a toying around between projects I'll give it a more in depth look once I have some free time again. I just thought maybe grant has done something like this once and maybe has a solution ready.

Can you email to me a model you have been using, I'll try now

nytrex@gmail.com

----------------------
                              Mastering CGI
                              CGSociety Folio
                              CREAM Studios
                              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• I wish I could but that was on an extern system which I don't have access to at the moment ><
                                I could try to replicate a quick and dirty dummy object with thin and thick parts if that helps :/
                                Cheers,
                                Oliver

Comment

Working...
                                X