Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
    sending you a link to that 1934 hdr now Grant so you can help fraggle
    Thanks Peter. Now that I have grab Grant tutorial I'm definitively trying to step away from the one push button/full red sample rates.
    Last edited by fraggle; 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• gotcha, thanks for the explaination
      Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      Is the vray light material the small strip on the left hand side on the wall fixture? If so you're bonkers not just putting in a vray light plane since it's so heavily optimized. In terms of the subdivisions, direct illumination is meant as a way for a vray light material to emit light when GI is turned off and thus it needs some way to control it's quality. If you're using GI it relies upon the sampling of the primary engine you're using to determine it's quality. If you're using something like brute force and the area around the light material is the only thing noisy it makes little sense to up your brute force quality only to deal with this one area so direct illumination suits in this case to give you some more primary rays to start with. I'd always go for a normal vray light in cases like this where you've got the option though!
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Definitely think this thread needs to be split somehow, though don't ask me how???
        Kind Regards,
        Richard Birket
        ----------------------------------->
        http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

• Originally posted by olly View Post
          Really? I'm sure i remember writing that...
          Can't take credit for VMC, unfortunately . And also please don't forget to purchase "Colin Senner's HDRI Skies" from www.peterguthrie.com.

I'm going to subscribe to the materials stuff because of all the great words everyone has to say about it! Great thread Grant.
          Colin Senner

Comment

• + 1 Tricky
            guys this needs to be split or somehow organized its getting really really bloated and very hard to read
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Maybe ChaosGroup would be nice enough to make a Grant Warwick sub forum for all those on his subscription?
              Maxscript made easy....
              davewortley.wordpress.com
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

• I can't find where to subscribe. www.sathe.com.au/ is a broken link for me. Can someone provide me with the link?

Comment

• You need to send an e-mail to grant. It should be back a couple of pages, or search the thread for posts by Grant.
                  Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                    You need to send an e-mail to grant. It should be back a couple of pages, or search the thread for posts by Grant.
                    Thanks Donald, Email sent.

Comment

• lol, this is becoming madness.

Let me just re-iterate that I limited Pre-sales to 50 people in order to reduce the amount of email and work for myself while I was preparing the release.
                      Once things settle down I will start to let new subscribers trickle in as its a very quick process to set a new subscriber up now.
                      I still don't have lots of time however...As you guys can see there is heaps of work being done so some of the people emailing me have to wait for me to be able to include them.
                      admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Just watched video #1, A+. Really great stuff Grant, keep it coming.
                        Colin Senner

Comment

• Grant,

This is about what you wrote a few pages ago. You said you ditched using fresnel. Why is that? Is it because you feel it is an overly simplistic representation?

I have looked at a few of your materials, and have seen linear (or nearly) Perp/Parallel falloff maps for reflection in some places. I find it hard to believe that a reflection would behave so "perfectly". I'm not disparaging the quality of your renderings, they look great. I'm just trying to understand the decision making behind them as I have been fresnel man for quite some time now.

Comment

• Originally posted by davision View Post
                            Grant,

This is about what you wrote a few pages ago. You said you ditched using fresnel. Why is that? Is it because you feel it is an overly simplistic representation?

I have looked at a few of your materials, and have seen linear (or nearly) Perp/Parallel falloff maps for reflection in some places. I find it hard to believe that a reflection would behave so "perfectly". I'm not disparaging the quality of your renderings, they look great. I'm just trying to understand the decision making behind them as I have been fresnel man for quite some time now.
                            There just isn't the same control.
                            Putting a fresnel value of 1.6 into a plastic material is fine, but if you are REALLY trying to match the effect in reality, you need to break away from this.
                            Most of those materials still use it because they are legacy materials using my old methods.
                            Newer materials don't need it as I'm using my own custom falloff curves loosely based on real world data.
                            Most materials have dips and peaks where you wouldn't expect.
                            Go to Refractiveindex.info and see for yourself!

This Sunday, lesson 2 will be out although I have my Birthday party on Saturday so lets see what happens!
                            Last edited by grantwarwick; 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM.

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• But do you find the real world data is showing perfectly linear falloff on some materials?

I forget where I saw it exactly -- I think on the caramel shader and on the glazed metal - maybe at least one other spot. I haven't looked at everything yet though.

Comment

• There is still many problems with some of those shaders.
                                The Caramel shader is pretty old and was developed around the time I was at EA.

Maybe I simply missed it?
                                But no, nothing should have a linear falloff so I will fix that in the next release!

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X