Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
    Perhaps I've been reading the thread a little too quickly for my own good, but where might I find this video?
    There is a giant banner on page 1! Oh wait...the thread is 8000 pages long
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
      To Fix this problem, open the scene in 2014 and go to rendering > state sets. Then in the state sets window go States > Options > Reset State Sets. That'll get rid of the error when you save down to a previous max version.
      Yep that's what I did yesterday and worked, thanks goodness!

Comment

• Can we still make request
        something like this:
        http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/...Q_icecubes.jpg

Comment

• There will be a material tutorial on this however I can probably find time to package up a scene for subscribers in the next couple of weeks.

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
            There will be a material tutorial on this however I can probably find time to package up a scene for subscribers in the next couple of weeks.
            Would be awesome! With winter here I probably get a few clients wanting ice and snow stuf. Would be awesome if I can provide it with your mats!

Comment

• Actually on page 4/5 I describe how I did it...

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Should have seen this thread months ago. For every comment I read here I get more and more excited for future subscriber openings! And any info on that would be great.

Update: Proud to have joined this. Keep up the great work, Grant!
                Last edited by Jorq1H; 12-12-2013, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• Just an update that I will be away tomorrow doing Birthday stuff but will be contactable on Sunday afternoon

Cheers.

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Would you be able to save the mat-library from max 2011-13? The one included in all versions seem to be saved with max 2014, and can't be opened in older versions (I'm currently on 2013 with vray 3.0).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorq1H View Post
                      Would you be able to save the mat-library from max 2011-13? The one included in all versions seem to be saved with max 2014, and can't be opened in older versions (I'm currently on 2013 with vray 3.0).

They will be updated in the next release for Sunday. Made a few optimizations this week
                      Won't be much benefit until then.

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorq1H View Post
                        Would you be able to save the mat-library from max 2011-13? The one included in all versions seem to be saved with max 2014, and can't be opened in older versions (I'm currently on 2013 with vray 3.0).

Another option is opening the max file and saving out the materials in the editor to a .mat
                        Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

• I just used this methodology on my bathroom scene, and I must say, it works. I particularity like it because it's predictable. Now, it took over an hour to balance things out, and it's saving me about that much time with the render, but I'll save with re-renders. I look forward to learning more.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com
                          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                            Another option is opening the max file and saving out the materials in the editor to a .mat
                            you can open max files in the material editor. there's a 'file type' drop down box, and you can browse through materials within a max file. .mat is completley pointless.

I work with a guy who's been using max since pre-autodesk days and had no idea about that until recently, i dont think many people do.

Comment

• I followed the first tutorial today - it makes sense but I'm interested to hear the thought process as to how you arrived at the final render settings in the shader ball scene. I would have thought, based on the first tutorial, that you would have tried to keep the noise threshold fairly high still as there wasn't too much detail in geo or textures? My thoughts were that using such high subdivs didn't leave much room for manoeuvre with the subdivs in your scene?

I'm speculating here.
                              Last edited by DPS; 13-12-2013, 08:02 PM.
                              Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
                              Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

• Originally posted by DPS View Post
                                I followed the first tutorial today - it makes sense but I'm interested to hear the thought process as to how you arrived at the final render settings in the shader ball scene. I would have thought, based on the first tutorial, that you would have tried to keep the noise threshold fairly high still as there wasn't too much detail in geo or textures? My thoughts were that using such high subdivs didn't leave much room for manoeuvre with the subdivs in your scene?

I'm speculating here.
                                I was waiting for somebody to notice.
                                Basically the shader ball scene released so far has some pretty gnarly procedurals in it that need a lot of AA to clear up.
                                I will go over optimising the shader ball scene in lesson 3 for different lighting types.

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X