Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
    you can open max files in the material editor. there's a 'file type' drop down box, and you can browse through materials within a max file. .mat is completley pointless.

I work with a guy who's been using max since pre-autodesk days and had no idea about that until recently, i dont think many people do.
    Can you please develop a bit more, I'm not sure to understand what you mean. .mat can be replace by "file type" drop down?
    Thanks

Comment

• When importing Material library, choose a .max file instead of .mat, didn't know about that one too )) cheers.

Comment

• Fraggle: When you choose Open Material Library there is a drop-down menu at the bottom of the file dialog. It defaults to .mat but you can change it to .max.
        Last edited by davision; 14-12-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• As a side note, Since switching to 2014 "State Set"s terrify me. Anyone got a resource on how to use them? I just put "Manage Scene States" back on my quad and pretend State sets don't exist.
          Colin Senner

Comment

• Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
            Another option is opening the max file and saving out the materials in the editor to a .mat
            Ended up doing this, thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
            As a side note, Since switching to 2014 "State Set"s terrify me. Anyone got a resource on how to use them? I just put "Manage Scene States" back on my quad and pretend State sets don't exist.
            I thought State Sets where there to manage render layers and to get the connection between Max and a compositor like AE. Is it at all comparable with Scene States?

Tried to utilize what I've learned from the first vid in a lighting test scene today. This turntable included DoF and MB, blurry reflections, VrayLensEffects and a single 50mpix HDRI (to get the really intense sunlight): ~5 MB Gif (downscaled)
            Each frame where between 24-30 seconds render, after I found a good balance in sampling rate. Still noisy (dof), but that was intended. Although VrayLensEffects are pretty good, I couldn't help but add additional highlights in post. :P
            Last edited by Jorq1H; 15-12-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Be very wary that merging a material from a .max file can actually inadvertently merge lights too! I often end up with two suns in a scene... keep an eye out. not sure if this has been fixed in 2014.

Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
              you can open max files in the material editor. there's a 'file type' drop down box, and you can browse through materials within a max file. .mat is completley pointless.

I work with a guy who's been using max since pre-autodesk days and had no idea about that until recently, i dont think many people do.
              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Update-

Had a great birthday weekend, now I'm ready to get onto finishing up Lesson 2!
                admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Just recieved the newest update mail and quickly wanted to say thanks to Peter Guthrie for providing a HDR.
                  Cheers,
                  Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• Can we expect some birthday Material?
                    www.visumporec.com

Comment

• admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                        Be very wary that merging a material from a .max file can actually inadvertently merge lights too! I often end up with two suns in a scene... keep an eye out. not sure if this has been fixed in 2014.
                        I was wondering why I kept having a problem with geometry reappearing in my scene despite repeatedly deleting it!
                        Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

• *sigh* another day where grant makes us look at his balls again :/
                          (that joke had to be made and you all know it)

Looking forward to the lesson :P
                          Cheers,
                          Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• I saw it coming 6 months ago haha

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Any news on when we can expect video 2 and some metal materials?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sliver_Creations View Post
                                Any news on when we can expect video 2 and some metal materials?
                                It's been the last week of work before I have 2 weeks holidays (Which will be spent almost entirely on MV) and I've gone full out on this second video. It's needed a lot of extra stuff that the first video didn't. There is a lot more to "teach" and I'm still getting into the correct teacher mindset I guess you could say. Basically I've been figuring out how to present the video in a way that appeals to novices and experienced users.
                                So I've recorded a whole bunch of different stuff and am currently editing it.

End of play tomorrow, I'm officially on break and can put some serious hours into Mastering Vray, it's going to be an all nighter.

As for materials, I lost the corten steel in a Bsod, but I have the other metals posted here so I should probably package them up and release them first thing tomorrow night.

Attached is an example of a couple of the slides required so you can see a more clear explanation of what has been required!

Last edited by grantwarwick; 19-12-2013, 07:31 AM.

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X