Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great tut Grant, cant wait for the rest, and have a good b'day! Now the issue....!!

Anyone else having any issues with 3dsmax 2012 after opening Grants files (yes I no, i'm still using 2012!)? I'm getting a random error relating to AnchorHelperObject on scene open and its managed to mess up all files saved on my workstation, resulting in all my net render job erroring!! It seems to be because (I'm guessing) Grant back saved the material max files from 2014 and the error is something to do with scene states in 2014. If I open the 2012 file with the error in 2014, reset scene states, and re-back save, its then ok in 2012! Thanks god!

Grant, maybe could you reset you scene states in your master files so this might not happen again? I can see your not using them but it might help others. Autodesk seem to be aware of the issue, but they don't give a shit.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by m_hinks View Post
      Great tut Grant, cant wait for the rest, and have a good b'day! Now the issue....!!

Anyone else having any issues with 3dsmax 2012 after opening Grants files (yes I no, i'm still using 2012!)? I'm getting a random error relating to AnchorHelperObject on scene open and its managed to mess up all files saved on my workstation, resulting in all my net render job erroring!! It seems to be because (I'm guessing) Grant back saved the material max files from 2014 and the error is something to do with scene states in 2014. If I open the 2012 file with the error in 2014, reset scene states, and re-back save, its then ok in 2012! Thanks god!

Grant, maybe could you reset you scene states in your master files so this might not happen again? I can see your not using them but it might help others. Autodesk seem to be aware of the issue, but they don't give a shit.

Mark
      We use this to remove any DLL issues when opening a back saved 2014 file: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...missingplugins

Comment

• Nice, I did see that yesterday but was put off by the warnings! I'll give it a try. I have got rid of the error, but when net rendering they still error with the same message, even though they open the file locally ok.

Comment

• Good stuff Grant, keep it flowing...

p.s. back in vray 1.5 I used to have some similar settings, but instead of playing with subdivs for each component, I've been pushing the bazooka (global mult.) up to thousands...Was a funny time for me and those poor clients.

Comment

• Shitttt, sorry about the dll problems you are experiencing. We simply use Vray distributed rendering here so it hasn't affected us.
            I will do what you said and hopefully it fixes things

Cheers,

Grant.
            admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
            Mastering CGI
            CGSociety Folio
            CREAM Studios
            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• It's a bug to do with State Sets (even if you don't use them), if it continues contact Mike McCarthy at Autodesk, he's always useful when there's issues with State Sets.
              Maxscript made easy....
              davewortley.wordpress.com
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

• Cool, it seems to have gone away now! The script said it found no missing plugins, but it might have helped. I'm just waiting for Vray 3 to release then jump to 2014 at the same time!

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                  Those GGX experiments are more an understanding excercise than anything. I personally think my materials produce more realistic results but they take a lot more work...
                  Most of my materials are based purely by eye but based on the idea of nesting reflection layers.

In the 10 years of doing CG, I've only ever seen or heard a couple of artists use this approach, most notibly the artists at ILM working on Iron Man.

A little back story to anyone interested.

ILM took real world scanned data of the suit materials but never actually used the BRDF data because this process captures the material in its "perfect" form.
                  In reality, you have all sorts of things causing impurities in the material and that is what gives it it's realistic appearance so they ditched it and went with an
                  approach they called "Fresnel Nesting", in other words, blending two materials with different fresnel values to create an entirely new specular distribution.
                  Pretty genius if you ask me, I can't take credit for that, only pushing it further.

I've taken that approach and advanced it using Joconnells approach of manually tweaking reflectance curves with falloff maps based on data from http://refractiveindex.info/ (I don't use fresnel anymore, take that Christopher Nichols you &$#*$ bastard!)
                  Might seem like a mouthful but it's the lesson I'm most looking forward to.
                  Thank you for this website this is really useful!

Comment

• Heya

An off suggestion if you could make ur matetrials using new vray vis mats then me and other Maya users could benefit from this too
                    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                      Heya

An off suggestion if you could make ur matetrials using new vray vis mats then me and other Maya users could benefit from this too
                      it's so painful in its infant form haha they need to make the interface at least similar to max or maya
                      admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Trueee Maybe an export to vismap could do some heavy lifting for quick from to maya max...
                        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• Awesome video Grant. It opens up new possibilities I didn't think of when it comes to optimizing my scene. Thanks again!

Comment

• Perhaps I've been reading the thread a little too quickly for my own good, but where might I find this video?
                            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
                              Perhaps I've been reading the thread a little too quickly for my own good, but where might I find this video?
                              Grant proposed a pre release for early subscribers, but for now it doesn't take new one yet.

Comment

• To Fix this problem, open the scene in 2014 and go to rendering > state sets. Then in the state sets window go States > Options > Reset State Sets. That'll get rid of the error when you save down to a previous max version.

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                                It's a bug to do with State Sets (even if you don't use them), if it continues contact Mike McCarthy at Autodesk, he's always useful when there's issues with State Sets.
                                James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Working...
                                X