Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count me in! This seems like an awesome deal to get further into Vray. I am also interested to see if it possible to get vegetation shaders for geometry grass, leaves and leaves-planes (as the basic vray 2sided is not perfect) tree bark, rocks, flowers and I could go on and on

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
      Rough blue plastic
      100% Procedural
      Wow, that looks great

Comment

• Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
        Here's a material that always gives me a bit of trouble - always had to finish it off in photoshop and it never looks quite right in animation.
        It's the suede-like floor. the way it reacts to light as you move around it and look from different angles is pretty unique - the fibers are way too short to justify doing it with a scatter plugin and using a map to rotate & flatten them so I think it needs to be done with ansiotropy & rotation but my efforts never quite nail it.

pretty much every single one of our jobs at the moment has this in, it's like the go-to 'we are high end' material.

Grant, I believe cubiclegangster is looking for a mat for 'viscose carpeting' - basically a cheap'ish material (at least cheaper than silk) that looks like silk carpeting. I couldn't find any decent google images of silk carpeting, but googling viscose carpeting yields many images where you can see how the direction of the hairs (from vacuuming or being walked all over) of the carpet catch lighting differently

googling 'viscose carpet' - https://www.google.com/search?q=visc...w=1069&bih=875

another example I've used in my own needs to Photoshop this type of carpeting,

I too would have a use for this type of material.
        Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

• I am always in the market for something that'll improve my images. Let ask you this, are they good for large scenes? I ask, because I rarely get up close, and some shaders are over-the-top, but from far away are overkill.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            I am always in the market for something that'll improve my images. Let ask you this, are they good for large scenes? I ask, because I rarely get up close, and some shaders are over-the-top, but from far away are overkill.
            I've been wondering about this too. These materials look pretty AMAZING but I fear that our rendertimes would jump from half an hour to half a week if I were to employ them. We also make pretty heavy use of Solidrocks these days which would no doubt optimize the f*** out of anything this complex and we'd end up with a bag of toss as a result.
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket
            ----------------------------------->
            http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

• I would be interested as well.

Comment

• Just sent you a PM
                PLAY
                www.kriscabrera.com
                kris@kriscabrera.com

Comment

• Originally posted by tricky View Post
                  I've been wondering about this too. These materials look pretty AMAZING but I fear that our rendertimes would jump from half an hour to half a week if I were to employ them. We also make pretty heavy use of Solidrocks these days which would no doubt optimize the f*** out of anything this complex and we'd end up with a bag of toss as a result.
                  It's up to you to decide when to use them however the complexity of the shaders can range from basic to ridiculous so I can't tell you that all renders are going to be lightning quick.
                  Do a lot of these shaders render fast? absolutely but there are definitely some slow ones and there is no way of getting around that. In order to reproduce some real world effects you have to be patient.

With that being said, if you use Vray how I will explain in the intro video I can't imagine you have to wait too long.
                  admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Put me down too, Grant. Very interested in sitting back and watching some tutorials!
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

We also make pretty heavy use of Solidrocks these days
                      Oups, your are courageous, SR seems to be banned looking at the expertise of most of this thread's users! But that's true, we use it too.

Comment

• Please don't slap me if this is actually pretty easy but I always had problems recreating a bubblegum/paint shader(without "opacity maps) almost completely translucent on the thin parts and opaque on the thick.

Here two examples of what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	850309Click image for larger version

Name:	julia-randalls-blow-series-reimagines-blown-bubble-gum_616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	850310
                        Last edited by Mokiki; 13-11-2013, 05:05 AM.
                        Cheers,
                        Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

you would not believe how wrong the settings through Solidrocks optimisation in fact are!
                          Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 13-11-2013, 02:21 AM.
                          Martin
                          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Grant:
                            Just wondering how will those materials work with those subdivs in vray 3.0
                            Sorry if this has been already said in this long thread, but do you actually playn to do some conversion for future vray 3 users?
                            Thanks!
                            Martin
                            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                              you would not believe how wrong the settings through Solidrocks optimisation in fact are!
                              We have noticed some issues ourselves with SR. It is great for some things. Not for others. When juggling so many projects, it's advantages outweight its disadvantages in my opinion.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Richard Birket
                              http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

• Count me in too! This will be the very best material library available.

Dave
                                Maxscript made easy....
                                davewortley.wordpress.com
                                Follow me here:
                                facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Working...
                                X