Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people use falloffmaps set to fresnel in the vray material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's still there in 2.40.03...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	847864
    Dan Brew

Comment

cool, how do you get it?
      Alessandro

Comment

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...163#post527163

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
        oakcorp.net
        v-ray.jp

Comment

Cheers Flat, I'd not seen that thread.

Originally posted by zeronove View Post
          cool, how do you get it?
          The way I did it was to add it to the material of the currently selected object like this:
          Code:
          (
          	if isKindOf $.material vrayMtl do $.material.texmap_reflection = createInstance VRayFakeFresnelTex forceCreate:true
          )
          Vlado's way is probably better but you need to install his plugin to all your render nodes as well as your workstation.
          Dan Brew

Comment

We should probably just make the plugin visible in the map browser...

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, would it be possible to add two bits of functionality to this - one a preview of the curve you're getting using the three controls, and second an option for a 0 degree reflection colour value and a second for the 90 degree colour value? This would give us really good controls to pull off the curves you see on refractiveindex.info so we could put in a metal colour for the front facing value and then white for the 90 degree glancing angle?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                Vlado, would it be possible to add two bits of functionality to this - one a preview of the curve you're getting using the three controls
                It's possible of course, but I never saw the point of that... to me the curve doesn't even remotely suggest how the material will look in the end.

and second an option for a 0 degree reflection colour value and a second for the 90 degree colour value? This would give us really good controls to pull off the curves you see on refractiveindex.info so we could put in a metal colour for the front facing value and then white for the 90 degree glancing angle?
                In that case I can just replace the "reflection color" and the "side" and "front" reflectivity with two colors like the falloff map, no?

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah that seems like a good compromise alright. What I'd be thinking of with the curve being visualized is that you can get a graph of a reflection curve from many sources, so if we had a preview of the curve it'd mean we could optically copy it and have a good starting point for metals and so on.

Comment

Working...
                  X