Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden floor - help needed

Hi guys,
    so I have this demanding client that keeps telling me my floor looks cheap. I recently bought several "multitextures" from CG source for their excellent floor generator. But it seams he doesn't like those either. CG source stuff looks great but it seams it's not for bigger floor boards, like 20-40cm wide.

Here are render he likes - NOT MINE!

I too love the living room floor. Not sure how on earth did that guy make it hehe...is it displaced? Somehow boards have huge amount of details on them.

Now here are a couple of mine.

I will have to make mine bigger but that will also smoothen my texture more.

Any ideas?
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Oh I also started using summed area instead of pyramidal to increase the details but it seams that wasn't the problem.
    Do you generally use summed area? I saw huge spikes in RAM usage when I selected them.
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

move down the blur filter to .001...try turning off the AA filter as well.....what I'm using for floor is one big HD texture of wood and randomize the UV offset.
      show me the money!!

Comment

remove bump map, and rely on reflection map to give variation over surface. expensive wooden floors are not bumpy.

also, you can try using the vrayhdri loaded with filtering set to "elliptic", and as mentioned before, a very low blur value.

Comment

flino, you mean something like Arroway textures? I too have those but used in combo with floor generator, they always gave me weird results, so I tried individual boards like from CG source.

Yes, I guess expensive floor is supposed to have a smooth finish, but still don't you guys like that first floor that has those rough floor boards? I love that! And have no idea how to create it But yes, will try your suggestions and let you know how they turned out.

Oh, by turning off AA, you mean in final render? I always have it off.
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

evermotion interiors use the same technique... Floor generator mapped with a wood texture (no wood floor texture ) then the randomize script for Uv
            show me the money!!

Comment

arroway wood veneers may work
              show me the money!!

Comment

I have arroway wood floor collection and it works fine but remember to move the blur filter down, grayscale textures such as reflection and bump with gamma 1.0
                show me the money!!

Comment

that was the way I used to do it but I used floor generators randomiser.that usually gave me weird results, like everything was repeating. do you use a separate script for randomising?
                  www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

i'm not in front of me computer but I found it at scriptspot ..... it randomizes other things beside UV, (Selection, rotation, etc) .
                    show me the money!!

Comment

Thank, will look for it.

Here's a test with low blur, and much less bump and it looks soo much better now! Thanks for the tips guys!
                      Will try with arroway textures now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LORLiving-3ver0000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	858414
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

I do it like this as I use one Highres wood texture :
                        -Apply uvw map to the floor with planar mode selected and with the right aspect /scale
                        -Add unwrap modifier and choose "flatten mapping "
                        - Rescale the boards -inside uv editor - to match the scale that u want ( I usually keep one board unselected before " flatten " as reference for the scale )
                        -move some board to get more interesting result / avoid repetition / hide seams if needed.
                        Or you can create your own board textures in Photoshop from one image using the slice tool but I prefer the other way .
                        I am interested in hearing other and maybe better / faster workflow too .
                        Last edited by M.Max; 26-09-2015, 03:25 PM.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------
                        Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                        Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

this:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...uv-coordinates

although it only works on mapping channel 1.

be nice if some friendly scripter could add an option to choose the mapping channels it will affect..

i asked on the scriptspot page months ago, but author never replied or updated it.

-i use it all the time.. in fact, between that, polygonmap plugin (awesome) , and niel blevins blended box, i rarely need to consider the unwrap modifier.
                          Last edited by super gnu; 26-09-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Will have to try both those methods. Thanks!
                            Here's the test with floor gen and its randomizer.
                            I like the closer look on the left of the render, but distant boards look too flat.

Name:	LORLiving-4ver0000.jpg
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	858419
                            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

And a final test that got me the result I wanted! Thanks guys this is now perfect! So reduced blur value and I used UV randomize script with arroway textures. Love this floor now

Name:	LORLiving-4ver0000.jpg
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	858431
                              www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Working...
                              X