No announcement yet.

Wooden floor - help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for my taste the scaling of the wood floor is way to big - try to scale it half the size... maybe this helps...

Comment

for future reference…

http://3docean.net/collections/21765...d-floor-planks

Comment

Yes it is a bit big, but I was worried that small tile will blend the details too much, and they like to see the wood detail (judging by the renders they sent me that they like).
        www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

So like I said, I didn't want to scale down the wood tiling because when the floor is viewed from the distance it tends to loose detail (as it should!) but then my client tells me the floor looks plastic.
          So latest renders of two flats are here...and he says floors look like plastic and like wood texture is printed on them. I really want your opinion now. Don't know what else to do. I told him it's how it is and that I give up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vWawEyT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	858494

Name:	sRosbiL.jpg
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	858495

Name:	JEp6VXK.jpg
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	858496

Ok maybe the middle render is a bit plastic, but the rest....hm...
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Wood is a real sonofabitch to get right.

Out of curiosity, post a screen of the VrayMtl settings of your wood? It looked a lot better in your earlier posts, the last 3 images do look kinda plasticky... Am wondering if you need to maybe change IOR and glossiness, as I'd expect there to be more visible fresnel reflections in the shadowed areas (eg where the dining table casts shadow in the third image).
            Like maybe weaker reflection value (or maybe not), but higher IOR (2? 3?) so that we see reflection even at slightly less glancing angles, and more dispersed (lower) reflection glossiness value. Might need to tweak your map a bit for this last one.

The exponential colour mapping (guessing here but that's what it looks like) also might be contributing to this plastic feel under these lighting conditions; it can sometimes make areas in direct light feel 'flat'
            Last edited by Richard7666; 06-10-2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Hey,
              here it is. Actually full reflection, no fresnel. Texture gamma is override 2.2.

Name:	99.png
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	858497
              www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

My feeling is you should always use fresnel, and use the IOR to control the reflections instead. In reality all reflections are fresnel reflections, and that makes the reflections behave more like the real world and takes away some of the plastic look. Try somewhere between 3 and 6

Comment

Cool! Thanks guys...will try that too. I avoided fresnel so I wouldn't loose reflection in some angles, but guess that was wrong.
                  www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Hm, this is the version with fresnel reflection and IOR 5. I don't know, I think for flat surfaces it's better not to use fresnel even though it's physically accurate.

Name:	LORTOP-temp0003.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	858502

Name:	LORTOP-temp0004.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	858503

Name:	LORTOP-temp0005.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	858504

I will try now with bump with vraynormal2Bump, maybe that will make it more rough. If not, I'll try displace at the end.
                    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Here's with an increased bump from vraynormal2bump and IOR 6.

Name:	LORTOP-vraynormal0003.jpg
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	858513
                      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

i know i already said it, but id play with the reflection map rather than the bump map in the case of wooden floorboards. crank up the reflection amount and put a (much) more contrasty map in the reflection level slot. get some strong, varied reflections in there. at the moment it looks totally flat and nonreflective to me. issue is not bump imho. a decent reflection map will kill reflections in the cracks in the wood, and provide different apparent shading per board. which works better than bump, and looks more natural.

Comment

If you're looking for better quality textures, I've found the ones from here to be good value - http://3docean.net/user/foundationcgi/portfolio. Also http://www.extremetextures.com/ have some nice ones.
                          Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

So a test with low bump but bumped contrast to reflection maps. I like it, but not sure if the client will since what he sent me last as sample were parquet floors that were pretty shiny but with semi matte varnish I think. One image is with fresnel and when that looked not reflective enough (compared to what he sent me) I removed it and even added some overall reflection in reflection colour and reduced reflection texture amount. Yes that one is now too reflective on the right side but I think it's good on the left. I may have to do a PS mix of both.

Name:	LORTOP-reflection1.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	858527

Name:	LORTOPreflection2.jpg
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	858528
                            www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

you need a nicer diffuse in the 1st place.
                              I am sure your client is looking for something like this:
                              http://consumer.kahrs.com/en-GB/Consumer/

nice diffuse in hires is the key, without it its not really possible.
                              I ve recently seen some nice floor textures on 3Dsky.org
                              http://3dsky.org/3dmodels/category/napolnie_pokritya
                              Martin
                              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Nice and free, too!
                                Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                                you need a nicer diffuse in the 1st place.
                                I am sure your client is looking for something like this:
                                http://consumer.kahrs.com/en-GB/Consumer/

nice diffuse in hires is the key, without it its not really possible.
                                I ve recently seen some nice floor textures on 3Dsky.org
                                http://3dsky.org/3dmodels/category/napolnie_pokritya
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com
                                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X