No announcement yet.

Cheatsheet: How to get a Cleaner image with SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby, how are you using PSD Manager with progressive? What does your workflow look like? Can one use BB/DR for progressive output like for adaptive output?
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Comment

• It's not, which stinks. I posted on their forum, but I haven't heard back. I ran a progressive render last night, with a 12 hour time limits, and woke up to a saved PSD file. I thought it worked, however, the layers were blank. The elements worked just fine.

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
      Bobby, how are you using PSD Manager with progressive? What does your workflow look like? Can one use BB/DR for progressive output like for adaptive output?
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
        Can one use BB/DR for progressive output like for adaptive output?
        I believe you can, I have been trying it and it seems to work. However, and please do your own tests on this, I tried it yesterday on a hefty scene and it crashed. I think, and this is what you need to check, that Progressive may run more memory than Adaptive, which would make sense, considering that you are having to clean up a whole image on each pass. I had it in DR mode and I may have reached the top of the RAM and it crashed. I did not have the time to do checks, as I wanted to go home and get some beauty sleep, so I sent it on Adaptive at the end and it rendered fine with no RAM issues and no crashing. Let me know how it goes for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
          Can one use BB/DR for progressive output like for adaptive output?
          This is one reason we don't use progressive for production renders - it can only save the image when the render is finished. The great thing about vrimgs and BB/DR is the render is saved bucket by bucket so if there is a crash, you still have what rendered to that point. It would be really neat if VRay could interrogate the vrimg (when a failed job is restarted by BB) and only render the empty buckets - that would really save some bacon!
          Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
          Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• Originally posted by olly View Post
            This is one reason we don't use progressive for production renders - it can only save the image when the render is finished. The great thing about vrimgs and BB/DR is the render is saved bucket by bucket so if there is a crash, you still have what rendered to that point. It would be really neat if VRay could interrogate the vrimg (when a failed job is restarted by BB) and only render the empty buckets - that would really save some bacon!
            We'll be doing resumable rendering at some point this year, so it's coming, both for the progressive and for the bucket samplers.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
              We'll be doing resumable rendering at some point this year, so it's coming
              Great news!
              Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
              Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• We'll be doing resumable rendering at some point this year
                superb!

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                oakcorp.net
                v-ray.jp

Comment

We'll be doing resumable rendering at some point this year, so it's coming, both for the progressive and for the bucket samplers.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Happy to learn this!
                  always curious...

Comment

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    ouuuuuuuuuuu

Hope it's gonna be implemented in RT GPU as production as well please

Stan
                    3LP Team

Comment

• Woohoo! Can't wait for the resumable rendering. This would be sooo helpful.
                      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Fantastic!

Comment

• This has been a very informative read, thank you!
                          Tim Nelson
                          timnelson3d.com

Comment

• Hey Lele! This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed in your test image you have a NT of 0.0025 at one point, but the spinner doesn't allow for numbers with 4 decimal places, only 3. Did you set this with maxscript (where you can override the value)? Was this done on a beta version which had more available decimal places?

- Neil

Comment

• nope, it's a UI option.
                              Customize->Preferences->spinner tab->precision.
                              Don't go nuts with the number of digits, or the 16bitness will bite you! :P
                              Lele
                              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                              ----------------------
                              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Cool, I had never seen that before. You learn something new every day

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X