3dsmax 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
    We are thinking of upgrading to 2016, we are still on 2014 ATM.
    Do you think it's worth it?
    What are your major issues with 2016?

Cheers
    Sometimes people really get too scared for too long. Realise that nothing is 100% or perfect. But sitting at 2014 thinking 2016 is worse, well if you are happy sure, but you are really fooling yourself into thinking you aren't getting anything out of upgrading. Like always with max (because we never get anything new) the changes looks subtle, but can have HUGE impact on daily work, for better or worse. There is literally nothing 2014 does better than 2016 today, I don't care what the foil hat panic people say, but I see no reason to still be using 2014.

As for 2017... I will be using it for production as soon as I can. The new additions are so welcome, maybe even state sets work now? ah who am I fooling... but the rest looks super solid! yes it may crash... but so does every other version of max. There actually some interesting statistics that shows that some huuuuge amount of crashes in max are actually rarely because of max. It's often because of memory or 3rd party tools that are installed.

Anyway, don't be afraid.. try it.. if it really is as bad as you fear... go back!

Comment

Originally posted by thomaskc View Post
      yes it may crash... but so does every other version of max. There actually some interesting statistics that shows that some huuuuge amount of crashes in max are actually rarely because of max. It's often because of memory or 3rd party tools that are installed.
      My tinfoil hat still believes that only odd number versions are prone to crash But as you say that might be third party things causing it. Which does makes sense after an SDK break. I did have a lot of viewport troubles in 2015 though.
      2012, 2014 and 2016 behave wonderfully. I basically only get crashes when importing weird or heavy files, or when you get a little to excited with a couple of quick undo's in situations when you shouldn't. And that was not the case with max ten years ago. Or even longer, as I remember Max 3 and 4, incremental save was obligatory!

Comment

Well, as usual, 3dsMax is different for everybody, it is all related to workflow and that is it. Here we use extensively Alembic to exchange with Houdini etc and to as well work with lightweight scenes, so we were forced to jump in 2016. Never really buggy with us, quite stable, and we really push it. No ArchViz, OK, but still, ArchViz is ArchViz but not the only meaning of 3dsMax. at the end, everybody found whatever he wants wherever he wants. We will probably move to 2017 just becasue of the revamp of the viewport core. Looks like it will be faster which is a big + for us too.

See you in 2017 !

Tang

Comment

Maybe an AD approved plug-in list would vet out all the problematic plugins.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            Maybe an AD approved plug-in list would vet out all the problematic plugins.
            There were "Autodesk Certified Plugins" a few years ago; died pretty quickly

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hm yes. i imagine considering they dont appear able to bug test their own software thoroughly before launching a new version, its hardly likely they would be able to test all the combinations of plugins in use too.

Comment

If MAX's issues are mostly caused by plugins, it would be in their best interest to have someone testing.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi Vlado,
                  it´s possible vray for max 2017 ? in http://nightlies.chaosgroup.com/ i not see nothing .

Comment

Wonder if now, with subscription based system they could drop this every year release and add new things through extension packs only, hopefully not breaking existing plugins. But that would probably mean locking down a lot of core functionality.
                    @wyszolmirski | Dabarti | FB | BE

Comment

Originally posted by CARLOS_ALBERTO View Post
                      it´s possible vray for max 2017 ? in http://nightlies.chaosgroup.com/ i not see nothing .
                      Please email our support team at support@chaosgroup.com and they will get you a preliminary 2017 build.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                        I'm not 100% sure that, that's the culprit. However, that's the only thing, other than what you have listed, I have installed. I install it, to use it, and before I know it the scene gets to slow to use. I'll have to experiment. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issues when Walls&Tiles is installed.

Bobby Parker www.bobby-parker.com
                        I have a hell lot of issues with Walls&Tiles. So many I'm still on a custom made version of 1.3.2 Martin made for V-Ray 3.0
                        This is a signature.

Comment

Okay. That somewhat conferms my issues.

Originally posted by 3dcrgr View Post
                          I have a hell lot of issues with Walls&Tiles. So many I'm still on a custom made version of 1.3.2 Martin made for V-Ray 3.0
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi ALL,
                            After upgrading to 2016 at the beginning of this year I was once again sure that instead of clearing out the bugs and getting rid of unnecessary-superseded tools in max Autodesk prefers to add "new features" to it.

I have to admit certain things they added changes our production environment in good ways, but 3DSMax is still not a multi threaded application in its core, it can't even utilize the modern graphics cards fully, so it feels like every performance increment they claim is actually a bug fix either about the viewport or multi threading certain processes within the application. So looks like upgrading to 2017 sooner is better than later... (well as long as you are ready for new bugs of course!)

BTW is it just me or the new ART renderer has looks that's suspiciously close to VRAY'S interface?

Comment

We MAX users do put up with a lot and have a lot of workarounds to get the job done. If I was a mover and put too much stuff in my truck, which made it drive really slow, I would buy a bigger truck. The problem is, MAX is being sold as the bigger truck and we have no other options. It's a truck held together with duct tape and forced to drive in the slow lane.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ozztheforester View Post
                                Hi ALL,
                                BTW is it just me or the new ART renderer has looks that's suspiciously close to VRAY'S interface?
                                I have not used ART but I do know that a lot of work has been put to make MAX look and cohere better with VRay. So as to give you another reason to jump into it and upgrade/buy/rent or essentially pay for MAX?

Comment

Working...
                                X