No announcement yet.

Verdict on Max 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far, after working out some things, MAX 2018 has been solid for me. Yes, the camera and window crossing is broke along with things I don't use, but I am not crashing. In MAX 2017 I crashed 2-3 times a day, on a good day. If MAX 2017 didn't crash I would have no reason to upgrade. Heck, if I didn't need 4K support I see no reason to upgrade from MAX 2016. What an America where you can break things and force people to pay you to fix them. Maybe I should start selling and installing windows and in the contract, they have to pay me if they break. I'll go around tossing rocks and be counting the cash.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

max 2018 with latest update, editmesh model apply uvw map, something it crash.
      www.archcg.my

Comment

So, we upgraded to the latest 2018 from 2017 across my office about a week ago. As usual, there's a balance between great new features and annoying new bugs. It definitely crashes significantly more than 2017, and stuff that used to work fine now kills Max without even the chance of saving or sending an error report. The one I've had happen to me a number of times is from pressing the little 'R' to reset transforms in the Transform Toolbox, which sometimes causes Max to hang then crash out. Considering this never even happened once on previous versions, it's frustrating. And yes, the Camera selection bug is mind-bogglingly annoying.
        However, there are (for me) two new absolute killer tools that makes putting up with the pain worth it - Bifrost (aka MaxLiquid) and Optimise Spline. These alone are worth the upgrade.

So that's where we are, I just hope Autodesk get another bug-fix release out as soon as possible.
        http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

Hi!

3dsmax 2018 is total shi...

i am so glad that i went back to 2016 now.. and the most important thing i recognize is that its not crashing, loading scenes fast and ist noch as shi... as 2018.
          really.. they broke the golden rule that the even releases are ok and the uneven ones suck. i will of course skip 2019 because it will be 100% crap.

they should work on only one feature.. stability.. all those new things are useless bug enhancer.
          Daniel Krassnig / http://www.vistral-3d-visualisierung.de/ / Architektur Visualisierungen

Comment

thanks for the replies, think i'll leave it a while longer...
            when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

I am getting semi regular crashes with Max 2018. I cannot say what it is in particular that causes it. I have a suspicion it may have to do with AutoBak. I have had some times with AutoBak stops working. Or "Max cannot save file" type messages.

Yesterday I took a break from a small interior scene in progress. I was sitting across the room using my ipad with the scene open in max 2018 on my workstation. About ten minutes later I heard the "chime of death" and I went over and had the "Max error and will now close do you want to try to save the scene" message. So, I had done nothing with the scene for at least 10 minutes and it was just sitting there and it crashed.

Some of the posts here describe troubles way more extensive than what I'm experiencing. They may have conflicts, esp with video drivers or other system glitches, who knows. 2018 largely works for me but has these mysterious and too often crashes. Frustrating and time consuming.

I'm going to try turning off AutoBak for a while and see if that helps. I did manage to get a mini dump file if anyone cares to look at it.

That camera select thing is a contuing annoyance. I select the target, then right click and select camera. Plus the selection window crossing bug is, well, unfortunate to put it mildly.
              mark f.
              openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

2018.4 is out, a lot of bugs are fixed ... main updates are for fluids and VR , I rode that camera selection issue is fixed ...

Comment

i installed the 2018.4 yesterday. The camera selection issue is fixed. Also the window crossing selection seems to be fixed.

gotta use it some more to confirm but It seemed to have a new problem with using the delete key. Had to hit the key multiple times to delete an object. Overall 2018 has been working good for me and this 2018.4 fixes two very annoying glitches so that?s good.
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Can`t see any fix for the double click menu boxes thing that annoys me. I honestly don`t think it will ever be sorted. I did put a bug report in, at least i think I did !

Comment

• This didnt help?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...s/td-p/7115485
                      AMD TR 7980X, 256GB DDR5, GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, Win 10 Pro
                      ---------------------------
                      2D | 3D | web | video
                      jiri.matys@gmail.com
                      ---------------------------
                      https://gumroad.com/jirimatys
                      https://www.artstation.com/jiri_matys
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAv...Rq9X_wxwPX-0tg
                      https://www.instagram.com/jiri.matys_cgi/
                      https://www.behance.net/Jiri_Matys
                      https://cz.linkedin.com/in/jiří-matys-195a41a0

Comment

• Originally posted by GLASS-CANVAS View Post
                        So, we upgraded to the latest 2018 from 2017 across my office about a week ago. As usual, there's a balance between great new features and annoying new bugs. It definitely crashes significantly more than 2017, and stuff that used to work fine now kills Max without even the chance of saving or sending an error report. The one I've had happen to me a number of times is from pressing the little 'R' to reset transforms in the Transform Toolbox, which sometimes causes Max to hang then crash out. Considering this never even happened once on previous versions, it's frustrating. And yes, the Camera selection bug is mind-bogglingly annoying.
                        However, there are (for me) two new absolute killer tools that makes putting up with the pain worth it - Bifrost (aka MaxLiquid) and Optimise Spline. These alone are worth the upgrade.

So that's where we are, I just hope Autodesk get another bug-fix release out as soon as possible.
                        I'm sure you have done this, but make sure you have applied ALL patches and updates, including those not directly related to Max, use the Autodesk Desktop Application to ensure you have everything up to date. I used to have these crashes on 2018 until I updated some AD related product that was trying to connect to the net, and blah, blah. Just a datum.

Comment

• Originally posted by OPEN_RANGE View Post
                          i installed the 2018.4 yesterday. The camera selection issue is fixed. Also the window crossing selection seems to be fixed.

gotta use it some more to confirm but It seemed to have a new problem with using the delete key. Had to hit the key multiple times to delete an object. Overall 2018 has been working good for me and this 2018.4 fixes two very annoying glitches so that?s good.
                          Just a warning to you all....

Now that 2018.4 update is out in the Public Domain, I can tell you that there is a real issue with the keyboard hotkeys becoming disabled when you pick select certain objects. I've reported this extensively during the 2018.4 beta releases, however due to the transient nature of the problem - the Autodesk Devs could not nail it down. They may have thought that it was some rare problem specific to my setup and not worth perusing.

If any of you experience something similar, please let me know what your setup is. Like many people I have a multiple monitor setup with UI elements spread across them (3 in my case). At various times pick selecting an object will disable the delete key and other keyboard operations. If you window select the same object the delete key will work immediately. Unfortunately this is not a reproduce-able process. A Max restart with the same file open could work fine again - for a while. As far as I'm concerned - this is even worse than the camera select bug. As I say - please let me know if you experience something similar.

Comment

• I am definitely experiencing the problem with the delete key. I have a dual monitor set up with the UI elements spread across the two.

This delete key not working is a real frickin pain... disappointing. I don't understand how they keep breaking basic functionality? sheeeesh.
                            mark f.
                            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

• Originally posted by OPEN_RANGE View Post
                              I am definitely experiencing the problem with the delete key. I have a dual monitor set up with the UI elements spread across the two.

This delete key not working is a real frickin pain... disappointing. I don't understand how they keep breaking basic functionality? sheeeesh.
                              Hey Open_Range. Is your Command Panel floating on another monitor by any chance? I've found that if the command panel is docked in its default location this problem is "fixed"....I think

Comment

• Jiri.Matys
                                No, Unfortunately it didn`t work. It wasn`t exactly my issue. There`s just an odd bug where if you click on certain drop-down menus without the menu window being selected first it just instantly pings off. ie click in the viewport then click directly on `Area to Render` or `Output Size` in Render Setup Window (for example). The menu drops down but pings off again. If you click on the window first it`s ok. It`s just rather annoying. It happens when the menu loses focus anywhere like if you`re on the desktop etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X