Vray6 - Forestpack V7.4.3 - Different Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RedStar

Dit you check whether the v5-file had black fog values while rendering OK? If not: how did v6-files suddenly have black fog values?

Comment

Originally posted by trick View Post
      RedStar

Dit you check whether the v5-file had black fog values while rendering OK? If not: how did v6-files suddenly have black fog values?
      This is what I am not 100% certain about. If the black value changed on its own or if Vray5 had it as well but it was working properly. What I do know is the scene did not change 1 bit on my end from good to bad render. I updated Vray and had to start rendering final assets for a client project, then noticed my envionrment looking different than before so had to start narrowing down the source.

At this point I do not want to really downgrade once more to Vray5 to figre out more about this, at least now I see what caused Alpha to not work so I can fix it quickly. Luckily all my other big fpack scene files are rendering as they were which is wonderful.

Comment

If you could pass us a scene, we'd be grateful.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi I tested the following - created a scene in 3ds max 2022/v-ray 5 with black fog colour and rendered, here is the result:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2022-07-26_18-08-54.jpg Views:	0 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	1155246

I then opened the same scene in 3ds max 2023/v-ray 6 and rendered and here is the result:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2022-07-26_18-08-42.jpg Views:	0 Size:	422.4 KB ID:	1155247

I don't know why it renders differently as you can see in V-Ray 6 all the opacity affected areas render as black.
          I am not using forest pack - just a plane with VRayMtl assigned to it and a dome light.
          This might be a bug, let me do a bit more research and I will get back to the thread to eventually share the info or report it as a bug.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

The blackness disappears when thin-walled is checked.
            I'd chalk this to a bug, as opacity should not have anything to do with the fog color.
            Run the script below to fix the offending materials while the devs work on a proper fix.

Code:
                for m in ( getClassInstances vrayMtl) where (m.texmap_opacity != undefined and m.texmap_opacity_on) do m.refraction_fogColor = white
            Last edited by ^Lele^; 26-07-2022, 09:17 AM.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I just had a quick look in a bunch of commercially available assets and it seems some have a black fog value. Since I never had any problems rendering transparent areas as black, I also think this must be a v6-related bug (or change!). Just to be clear again: I don’t have v6 (yet!).

Comment

Good to know, hopefully this will be fixed asap.
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
                  Hi I tested the following - created a scene in 3ds max 2022/v-ray 5 with black fog colour and rendered, here is the result:
                  Click image for larger version Name:	3dsmax_2022-07-26_18-08-54.jpg Views:	0 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	1155246

I then opened the same scene in 3ds max 2023/v-ray 6 and rendered and here is the result:
                  Click image for larger version Name:	3dsmax_2022-07-26_18-08-42.jpg Views:	0 Size:	422.4 KB ID:	1155247

I don't know why it renders differently as you can see in V-Ray 6 all the opacity affected areas render as black.
                  I am not using forest pack - just a plane with VRayMtl assigned to it and a dome light.
                  This might be a bug, let me do a bit more research and I will get back to the thread to eventually share the info or report it as a bug.
                  You Rock! Thank you for taking the time to do this test to show our point.

Comment

Originally posted by trick View Post
                    I just had a quick look in a bunch of commercially available assets and it seems some have a black fog value.
                    It will be very helpful, if you remember where are those assets from.
                    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                    Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post

It will be very helpful, if you remember where are those assets from.
                      Sure. But I have to look in the original libraries. Most of my assets are resaved (because a lot of the originals have notetracks and/or anim layers - especially Maxtree - which can dramatically ruin saving and loading speed and scene handling, and when Forest Pro loads these as references loading time will be VERY dramatic), so I have to be sure fog is black in the original files.
                      I know that a lot of the Globe Plants (just opened some of lib 19 Temp. plants) have a grey (128,128,128 ) fog color, while using opacity maps.

If I find more, I will report here.

Comment

I have reported the issue under VMAX-12441 in our system for developers review.
                        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                        X