No announcement yet.

pale/dark DR buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bucket problem has gone away for now and I can't reproduce it. I didn't change anything so it's frustrating. I'm sure it will come back 6 hours before my next deadline but for now it's gone. I'll circle back here if it comes back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey Guys
      We are having exactly the same issue with DR, Max 2012 + Vray 3.00.05.
      Local machine is rendering slightly lighter than the DR machines, see attached.
      A re-start of max fixed the issue.
      Attached Files

Comment

the dreaded dark buckets! I solved it by increasing the bucket size. When I use 16, for the most part it works, but when I get the bucket problem I increase the bucket size. This. for some reason, solves it for me.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Also had the same problem just recently. One of 6 render machines I was using at the time rendered buckets lighter. Textures were pathed fine. Thankfully the DRBucket render element helped me track down the problem machine. After restarting that PC, everything was fine. Still none the wiser as to what was going on.
          Vray 2.4 / Max Design 2014 (all with SP 5 installed)Click image for larger version

Name:	Creek_Buckets_prob.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	851940

Comment

Same issue here...local machine renders darker, but only when I'm on a tight deadline - ha ha.

I'm hoping to be able to hold out until the VRay update is released for Max 2015 so I can just do a mass upgrade to all the render nodes and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

It seems that a lot of you guys are facing this issue on a random basis which makes it difficult to reproduce and troubleshoot.
              If some of you could provide a reproducible scene for investigation or step-by-step instructions how to replicate it that would be great.
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Try to change the bucket size, it has been working for me. it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I increase the bucket size.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

For me, it seemed to start happening when I installed Max 2015 on my primary computer, but not my render nodes. (I still work in Max 2014, but wanted to install it to see what was new)

The dark buckets are only on my primary computer, so although I can't say for sure, I think that the 2015 install changed some setting globally - *somewhere* - that may be affecting my computer when opening files in Max 2014.

I don't use 2015 yet, but had installed it to check out new features, etc.

It may not be super wise, but I am in the process of installing 2015 on all of the render nodes to see if that helps.

Comment

in the office, the same happens to us sometimes. There need to reset everything to make solutions.

It is very strange.

Regards

Comment

Are all of you using dome light for these scenes? I think I seem to remember an issue there (see http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...-wrong-subdivs) - but I'm not sure your issue is the same. In any case, I'm looking into that one now, as at least it is reproducible.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Last edited by vlado; 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM.
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I use a dome light on almost all my work.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I use dome light in these cases

Comment

I also ran into this problem now. I was rendering DR, changing some material settings, 20 renderings work well and suddenly I get dark buckets. No dome light
                            was used. All maps are loaded correctly.
                            The only thing that seems to work reliable to get back to normal is saving the scene with a new name and the dark buckets are gone.
                            (Vray 2.4 Max2014)

Comment

Have you got broken version of the scene which could reproduce the issue constantly?
                              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

So we run into this problem more and more often. I can´t unfortunately send a scene. But it happens randomly with every project .
                                I´m pretty sure now that it is a gamma problem casued by max. We don´t use gamma 2.2. Instead we use Reinhard and counter correct the textures with an output node
                                depending on the Reinhard settings. So in our case gamma/LUT correction is turned off. I allready was looking into a gamma problem in the past but couldn´t
                                find a reproducable pattern. Now I think I can say where it comes from. In this case I was just rendering a background image and some buckets where darker.
                                Now when I turn on gamma/LUT with gamma set to 1.0 The whole image renders darker. Exactly the same like those darker/wrong buckets would render.
                                So one could say it´s because we don´t use gamma 2.2. But as I can see the same problem occurs to people who do use gamma 2.2.
                                So I can just speculate that from time to time
                                max messes up the gamma settings when DR rendering more specific the map counter correction.
                                Or the gamma correction is not transfered to the frame buffer. Something like that
                                Maybe someone else who runs into this problem can test, once this happens, to use different gamma settings. Like turning gamma correction off or setting it to 1 and see if
                                those settings will render like the wrong buckets.
                                Here are some pictures of this test.

Pic 1 shows how it renders with gamma settings off
                                Pic 2 shows the rendering with gamma settings on and gamma set to 1.0 It´s a screenshot
                                because once saved gamma correction is applied and it looks like pic 1.
                                Pic 3 (not a screenshot) shows the wrong buckets. If you compare the darker buckets to pic 2 you will notice they are exactly the same

Maybe that helps hunting down this bug.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X