• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same here
    i7 6800K, max 2018 sp2, vRay 3.60.03
    www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

I'm also having same issue. Seems in can happen just about anytime but mostly with high res 5K renders using DR.
      max2018 sp2, Vray 3.6, Win7Pro, dual Xeon.
      I've found that locking Windows for a minute and then logging back in can sometime break the spell and bring the VFB back.
      Greg Geffert
      Spectrum Brands
      www.greggeffert.com

Comment

Same issue here. Max 2018 sp2, Vray 3.60.03. Win 7 pro , Dual Xeon V4.
        Max 2016. worked flawlessly on the same machine.

Comment

Update:
          3.50.04 under 2017 appears to be ok on our Xeons

3.60.03 under 2018 SP2 WIn 10x64 1703 completely hoses my workstation, have to cycle power to get it back in same scene
          "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Doesn't seems to be related to max version, but since VRay 3.6.x

Comment

Have similar problems with MAX 2016 + Latest Vray + Dual Xeon CPU
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

encountered frozen max after cancelling render yesterday. took good few minutes to come back. tried that like 4 times with the same result.
                win 7, max 2015, vray 3.60.03, DR, double xeons.
                thing is that scene is working just fine on second identical pc, no freezing whatsoever.
                its totally average arch viz scene, nothing extreme.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

I have done a complete format to go back to Windows 7 Pro (from Windows 10), and the problem persist.
                  Windows 7 Pro
                  3dsmax 2018.2
                  Vray 3.60.03

Edit: IPR doesnt cause the same hang
                  Last edited by EL_CISNE_POST; 26-09-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

vlado , did you find something ? Seems multi-threading since 3.6 is a bit too... strong oO

Comment

I did some test, and for me it becomes unresponsive even when rendering locally. If I'm already in the VFB and don't open any correction tabs, I can navigate the VFB, but as soon as I try to switch render pass/channel or open i.e. WB it completely hangs and becomes responsive only after the complete image is finished. It's even worse when rendering in DR. I just did a test with a simple plane + teapots and It becomes completely unresponsive. The "low thread priority" option is always checked. I'm working on a machine with a total of 56 threads, and by the end of the rendering process if only half of the buckets are still active, the VFB/max is working smooth as it should.

Is there any fix on the horizon?

Comment

My workstation is an i7 4770 and I'm doing DR with a dual xeon - latest windows 10 and latest vray. During render the VFB freezes. I can get a black screen when it hangs. the computer only appears to freez but after some time it unfreeze and actually shows that it's been rendering but my 3ds max viewport look grey. I have to reset max each time I render.

I even got a blue screen of death once. Actually I got a blue screen running the vray benchmark . This instability is insufferable - hope there is a solution. Do you think it's windowes 10 TDR ?

is it possible to remove TDR?

why are you guys setting 3ds max to low thread priority?

Why unchech multithreaded?

steve ~

Comment

It isn't windows10 we and many have the same problem with widows7. It isn't max version either, it is VRay3.6.x
                          This is getting really problematic to not have a fix for this, we may revert production to VRay 3.5 but not sure how it will handle scene from VRay 3.6

Comment

I stopped mine from crashing by changing the affinity of 3ds max and removing 2 cores. It renders slower but there are 2 cores which makes it very stable.

i even got a blue screen of death from the vray benchmark haha.

Comment

We lose a lot of time in our company because of this problem. Each machine has the same issue, from old CPUs to the newest one.
                              We are probably forced to return to the old version, 3.5
                              :/
                              www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

Similar issue here single core i7 - Win 10 - Max 2018 update 3 - i do find vray 3.6 to have a few issues with VFB. I was doing progressive renders overnight on 4k images and it told me it was going to take 200 hours to render - eventually the image finished after 12 hours. I find using bucket mode the render time bar to not update so you have no real idea how long approx the render will take - seems only on heavey complex scenes

Comment

Working...
                                X