No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.6 VFB hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does not matter the priority of the process in the task manager.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      No, actually it's not related to the VFB. Can you try enabling the "Low thread priority" option in the System tab and/or lowering the priority of the 3dsmax.exe process from the Task Manager to "Below normal"?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      ... i tried it all
      and as i wrote: it worked for about 4 weeks and suddenly it does not anymore
      automatic updates of win 10 were deactivated

if it helps i am open for a remote session

the problem eats my time anyway

Comment

Ok, I will ask our QA guys to do a remote session to see what's going on.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by tryharder View Post

... i tried it all
          and as i wrote: it worked for about 4 weeks and suddenly it does not anymore
          automatic updates of win 10 were deactivated

if it helps i am open for a remote session

the problem eats my time anyway
          Let's arrange remote session and see what's going on.
          Please send us an email at support@chaosgroup.com (include svetlozar.draganov@chaosgroup.com in CC) to schedule a remote meeting.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Same issue with max2018 and vray 3.6 on win7

Had to revert to max2016 and vray 3.5 to keep on working. No time for testing various combination etc, but it was a major showstopper.

Comment

Have you updated any nvidia drivers though? For some of these cases, it seems like a weird combo between Windows and the display drivers and the Max UI. Qt uses OpenGL to draw some parts of the UI in 3ds Max 2017 and 2018, so it seems to be an issue.

Anyways, we'll figure it out sooner or later...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Last edited by vlado; 25-10-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Hi Vlado, I have the impression that only you work all right and the rest of the world is a mistake. Do not get me wrong, but all of us are irritated by this situation. No matter if the reason is 3dmax or vray - which in the case of Autodesk does not surprise anyone because in every version we are surprised by stupidity. But in the case of vray, before you release the official version have beta testers - did not they have such situations?

Comment

Originally posted by inshapestudio View Post
                  Hi Vlado, I have the impression that only you work all right and the rest of the world is a mistake. Do not get me wrong, but all of us are irritated by this situation. No matter if the reason is 3dmax or vray - which in the case of Autodesk does not surprise anyone because in every version we are surprised by stupidity. But in the case of vray, before you release the official version have beta testers - did not they have such situations?
                  No, we didn't have any such issues in the beta phase. It started happening only lately, and we don't really have any changes in the V-Ray code. I recognize that there is an issue, and that we need to find a work-around for it, whatever the cause is. But I also know that the issue is not caused by V-Ray itself. Still, we need to find out what is causing it, and we are working with some of you to figure it out. It's not like we aren't doing anything about it. We will release a patch as soon as we find a way to make things better. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused, but some things are really beyond our control.

Just to make it clear; this is not a V-Ray specific issue; we have observed the same behavior with other heavily multi-threaded software. Again, it's not an excuse, and we will have to work around it, but it's unfair to blame it all on us.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Last edited by vlado; 25-10-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Hi. This week I've been in contact with Svetlozar Draganov. I've tested 4 Vray builds so far, and all of them more or less exhibit the same issue. The problem seems to be indeed related to the nvidia drivers. Explicitly the OpenGL rendering. Since I have a multi GPU system I've noticed that Nvidia introduced an option where you can choose the OpenGL rendering GPU. Switching it to any other GPU in the system beside the primary display GPU helps quite a bit, but doesn't solve the problem.

Since lately I've moved to a new workstation, I've decided to go with the latest versions of the system Os and applications. In this case Windows 10 pro and 3ds Max 2018. To my surprise, Max (Adobe as well) was completely unusable, So I've reverted back to Windows 7. I skipped Max 2017, but 2018 UI is at least 50% slower than 2016.

I wrote this little story as an introduction to what I've discovered today while troubleshooting this annoying "vray issue". After all the combination of vray builds and nvdidia drivers I've decided to try MAX 2016 with the latest official Vray build (36003).
                    The same scenes that were completely unresponsive renders perfectly on MAX 2016. I can even browse the internet and have a dozen windows open with NO ISSUES AT ALL! Same workstation, same scene, same environment.
                    It's NOT A MULTI-THREADED ISSUE!

So, once again Autodesk did a remarkable job! Who needs a responsive and fast interface when you can have fluid simulation directly integrated in the main software (which by the way crashes Max every 5 minutes). They say It's a community most requested feature?!? I'd like to know which users are part of that comunity?!

I can only say that Chaosgroup is one of the rare (if not the only) company that grew so much in the past years and it's still offering top of the notch support and personal involvement in their products!
                    Vlado, keep up the good work. I'm certain you guys will find a workaround for this issue.

In the meantime, I think I'll revert back to Max 2016. Someone should point out this problem to Autodesk as well!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the update and thanks a lot for doing these tests with us! It's definitely useful information. We will try to figure something out.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Yesterday i had my remote session.

We checked about everything. Svetlozar Draganov has experienced the problem now by his own and nows what we talk about. We created dumpfiles and so on. I guess there will be a solution soon.

In the end we tested the max own VFB and that works fine. I did not test that before. I did not even think about it.

Comment

Thank you to the people who took the time to test in a live session with the chaos group guys. I'm so busy I didn't have time to volunteer. Hope there is a solution soon. This bug hangs my workstation and render slave. My 3ds max view ports go grey when it happens. The only way to restore the view ports is to reset max.

Comment

Just to say that these issues are not only limited to 2018, I've reported them first with 2016...
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                              Just to say that these issues are not only limited to 2018, I've reported them first with 2016...
                              What you reported is a different and unrelated issue, although the symptoms are similar. Your issue is already solved for the next update.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                                What you reported is a different and unrelated issue, although the symptoms are similar. Your issue is already solved for the next update.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                Great. Thank you Vlado.
                                A.

---------------------
                                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                                X