No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.6 VFB hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all of those who have the issue of frozen IPR in the VFB in Max 2018.3 and Vray 3.60.03...
    Minimize-maximize Max and the VFB will update the last action you did.
    Whichever that is; in my case, just stopping the IPR and not having to kill Max process...
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before in above posts; just happened here as well...

Not elegant, but at least i don't get to kill Max from task manager.

Which brings the question to Vlado:
    Would it be possible to have an IPR button in the Render settings to be able to use it with the Max native FB, or in my case with the VFB+ plugin?

Thanks,
    Greg

Comment

This is probably not completely related to the VFB hang, but I was also having an issue with the IPR (that now I cannot live without it). After some use of it (stop and start), it seems to not refresh at all, and as Postfaust said, minimize (and in my case zooming out the VFB) it refresh. However it was happening for me only with some scenes that I had setup on 3dsmax 2016 with older vray version, so I merged everything on a new scene and it started working just fine. This workaround doesn't help with the problem of the VFB on non IPR render. Hope it helps

Comment

Chaos Group, please do something...
        We can't use our render farm, we can't working efficiently because of this bug, and we lose money to the external renderfarms. VFB hangs, bluscreenes... The situation is very tense.
        www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

@luminancestudio
          is someone in your studio able to do live streams with chaos group to help find the problem?
          this is crippling me too at the worst time ever. I cannot change render engine. I?m very anxious too.

Comment

I had a live session a week ago ... max 2018.3 ... vray 3.60.03 ... they have dump files and everything

the situation:

- corona VFB works fine
            - arnold VFB works fine
            - 3ds max VFB Works fine

Vray VFB does not work !!!

what does that show me ?

cmon vlado it?s about time to deliver a solution ... you can do it ... i am shure

Last edited by tryharder; 07-11-2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Yes, I can do that.

Here is some example of our problem: https://youtu.be/p6ltqRyKrzM

Simple one click on the VFB and we get unresponsive window. We have to wait until render frame ends, then the VFB will update. Next simple one click on VFB and the situation is repeated.
              Se we can't do anything in VFB window (zoom, CC, even stop the render!)

+ blue screens or completely machine hang

And as we see, we are not alone with this problem, So why was this version released? It still should be a beta!
              www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

Same here, this is really getting serious... and sad here. Discussions about switching renderer has never been so present here. Still not on this road, but it say a lot, this bug annoy every single rendering all day long for weeks now.

Comment

I had Windows 10 Fall Creators Update cause me quite a few performance issues, especially when it comes to slow drawing of certain UI elements, not only in 3ds Max, but other complex software packages as well. One of the things that helped with it to some degree was disabling a new "Control Flow Guard" exploit protection introduced with W10 Fall Creators Update. The exploit protections are found in Windows Defender Settings and are enabled even if you are using 3rd party antivirus software and Windows Defender appears disabled. However, if you are on Win 7, then this is completely unrelated.

Comment

Just to clear the things up - we are talking about two different (maybe related) issues:
                    1. System freeze (hang) - everything (not only 3ds max / VFB) freezes, you can't move even the mouse. Lasts from a few seconds to a minute, after that everything goes back to normal (the rendering process continues during the freeze). Easily reproducible here and we've already made some changes to the "low thread" option in V-Ray to eliminate the (d)effect.
                    2. VFB and other max windows hang (not responding) - minutes or even more are needed for 3ds max to respond, other applications and system UI work fine. Very rare behaviour, not reproducible here.
                    So some questions only for those with problem 2 :
                    1. Is this happening only on max 2018?
                    2. Is this happening only on dual Xeons?
                    3. Do you have GPUs on those machine and what kind?
                    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                    Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
                      I had Windows 10 Fall Creators Update cause me quite a few performance issues, especially when it comes to slow drawing of certain UI elements, not only in 3ds Max, but other complex software packages as well. One of the things that helped with it to some degree was disabling a new "Control Flow Guard" exploit protection introduced with W10 Fall Creators Update. The exploit protections are found in Windows Defender Settings and are enabled even if you are using 3rd party antivirus software and Windows Defender appears disabled. However, if you are on Win 7, then this is completely unrelated.
                      Great tip for a newcomer to win10, like me.
                      I turned them ALL off, and lo! and behold, the intel core manager, installed at system setup a long while back, showed up on startup.
                      Far from being the solution to all ailments, likely (and specifically to the problem reported. i have not tried.), it's surely making my life a lot less problematic (and unsafe. oh the thrill!) in win10.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I have the first and the second problem. First a longer freeze, then after a minute or so I regain control of the rest of system UI, but max and vray stay frozen for a very long time (haven't waited longer than 10 minutes before killing max)

3Ds max 2018 only (same scene and Vray version in 2016 works fine)
                        Vray 3.60.03
                        Dual Xeons E5-2696 V3
                        Nvidai GTX980
                        Win7

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                        Just to clear the things up - we are talking about two different (maybe related) issues:
                        1. System freeze (hang) - everything (not only 3ds max / VFB) freezes, you can't move even the mouse. Lasts from a few seconds to a minute, after that everything goes back to normal (the rendering process continues during the freeze). Easily reproducible here and we've already made some changes to the "low thread" option in V-Ray to eliminate the (d)effect.
                        2. VFB and other max windows hang (not responding) - minutes or even more are needed for 3ds max to respond, other applications and system UI work fine. Very rare behaviour, not reproducible here.

Comment

VFB and other max windows hang (not responding) - not minutes are needed for 3ds max to respond - we have to wait until the render frame ends. Other applications and system UI work fine (with low thread 3dsmax priority)
                            - We currently have 2018 only. Can't test on past versions.
                            this is happening on an old and new i7 (930, 980x, 990x, 3930k, 4790k, 6800k), dual xeons E5-2689, E5-2696-v3.
                          3. Do you have GPUs on those machine and what kind
                            from an old nVidia 200, 560, to current 1050Ti, 1060, 1070

4. This is happening in bucket mode only. IPR and progressive seems to works fine.
                          EDIT...Now I have the same problem in progressive, after 20min of rendering.

Literally on each single machine in our office and my home, no matter what hardware. The same problem among all my friends, so...not very rare as you said...
                          Last edited by luminancestudio; 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM.
                          www.luminancestudio.pl

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post

VFB hangs here instantly upon render or IPR; only way to pass through this problem, is to minimize-maximize Max.
                            If doing regular render, the VFB will come back without minimize-maximize Max, when the render finishes.
                            If doing IPR, only way to un-freeze it is to hit the "stop" button, then minimize-maximize Max.

Happens ONLY with Max 2018.3 and Vray 3.60.03.
                            I have an i7 5960X and one GTX 1080Ti, Windows 7 x64.
                            Also happens on another similar system, with one GTX 970 and Windows 8.1 x64.

Regular Max's FB and VFB+ plugin work fine with VRay.
                            If only we could use IPR with them !!

Greg
                            Last edited by postfaust; 07-11-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post

Great tip for a newcomer to win10, like me.
                              I turned them ALL off, and lo! and behold, the intel core manager, installed at system setup a long while back, showed up on startup.
                              Far from being the solution to all ailments, likely (and specifically to the problem reported. i have not tried.), it's surely making my life a lot less problematic (and unsafe. oh the thrill!) in win10.
                              Well, from what I heard, those exploit protection mechanisms are in general actually quite good, stopping very large portion of potential malware, including the dangerous kinds such as cryptolockers, so I am not sure about just turning them all off. However, there's this not very apparent tab, that will let you turn them off per executable: Click image for larger version  Name:	image_39730.png Views:	2 Size:	18.9 KB ID:	973480

And as a bonus, there are quite a few more switches to tinker with, that are not present in the system settings tab.

Comment

Originally posted by tryharder View Post
                                cmon vlado it?s about time to deliver a solution ... you can do it ... i am shure
                                We don't have a solution yet. We are looking into the issue with Autodesk and NVidia. In the meantime, we are trying to collect as much information about the problem as possible in order to get some clues.

We are also checking out what the Corona guys are doing differently to process messages during rendering, maybe there will be something useful there.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                Last edited by vlado; 07-11-2017, 09:00 AM.
                                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                                X