Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folders + Masks "on top" of Lens Effects

Hi there: Having an issue or improvement with the Framebuffer as of now

Basically integrating a car into a backplate. Backplate is already colorgraded and just a .jpg and should remain unchanged.
    The car of course requires tonemapping. Using the Composite mode and Folders with Masks to apply the tonemapping only on the car. This works great and is a gamechanger in terms of viewing your rendering on the graded background.

BUT: As Folders and Masks only work in Composite Mode the are computed BEFORE the Lens Effects. That means that after the Tonemapping everything is clamped to 0 and 1 and the lenseffects don't work anymore. So for example if you have a bright hotspot it's not being picked up from the Lenseffect, as the tonemapping is happening before.
    Wouldn't it be possible to compute the LensEffects the same way like in RGB mode where everything is ON TOP of the lenseffects? Somehow RGB mode doesn't allow Folders. It possible though to add masks to each tonemapping procedure but if you have like a bunch of operators it gets quite tedious to add individual masks to anything....
    Isn't it possible just to have folders with masks ON TOP f the lens effects?

Would make everything much simpler...
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Ok nevermind it actually it DOES work when you move the folder that you created in the composite on top. You just can't create any new folder for whatever reason as the option is greyed out...

Comment

Originally posted by JonasNöll View Post
      Ok nevermind it actually it DOES work when you move the folder that you created in the composite on top. You just can't create any new folder for whatever reason as the option is greyed out...
      The plan is to have it possible for Update 2. Until then you can use the workaround with the dragging from Composite.
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

Awesome. I must say the framebuffer with its compositing features is really great. I rarely have to go to Photoshop now, can just do everything in the framebuffer itself. Works brilliant for backplate integration being able to directly work with the finished result !

Comment

I always put the background as top layer and put all my corrections below that. No need for masks that way.
          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Yup but this only works for me if there are not any half transparent pixels such as shadows on matte objects and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by JonasNöll View Post
              Yup but this only works for me if there are not any half transparent pixels such as shadows on matte objects and so on.
              Strange, as this is working totally fine here.
              You are rendering against black, right? So no visible render background or domelight?
              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

Strange, as this is working totally fine here.
                You are rendering against black, right? So no visible render background or domelight?
                Hi, no it's totally on black. There are issues with the lenseffects + denoiser and also on half transparent pixels such as shadows. Also you can't use the real zoom feature when using background and it doesn't show up in the refractions (without refl ovrd). That's why I prefer to just use the the standard background. It's slightly more tedious to setup but avoids all those inconveniences. At least for me

Comment

You could now create folders without using a workaround with the new V-Ray 6 Update 2.
                  More about the release here.​
                  Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 29-11-2023, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Awesome, will try it out! Thx!

Comment

Working...
                    X