X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Hi Vlado, here's a crop render done with the new Alsurface, told you it was an awesome shader Do you know when we will get the raytrace ID, I need it badly for the eyes , gland ,etc. to work better ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	alsurface_test_417c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	863910 BTW there is not facial here in this test, it's still wip this project, sadly I can't work on it for a while, freelance stuff to do ...

Last edited by Bigguns; 18-10-2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Hi Vlado,

It appears that the most recent alsurface "alpha3" produces no gi render element, its probably intended...or does not support, but I thought to let you know either way.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

• See the discussion a few posts above... I will need to add a separate new render element for this.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

• The GI pass issue is connected to the "mix" slider on the ALsurface which blends between diffuse and sss. In his skin tutorial, Anders writes "Generally you want this to be either zero (for "hard diffuse only") or one (for "sss only"). It can sometimes be useful to use values somewhere in between, but most of the time you just want one or the other."

If the intent of this material in Vray is to implement skin/sss (rather than being an all-purpose material), I wonder if the mix parameter should be excluded? That would of course eliminate the GI issue. Does anyone use the mix slider or find it useful? Is it perhaps useful for sss on non-skin objects (like food)? I personally never do, but it would be great to get input from others.

Comment

• Sharktacos : Yes it's usefull , let's say you have a girl with make up , you can lower the sss part where there is more make up. But, if lowering the sss weight would do the same, then yes, no need of it ^^ .

Valdo : The very next pressing issue with that alsurface is the Raytrace ID, when we have intersecting geometry it became green , really really bad, can you fix it soon ? And then after translucency, backlight would close it Any time frame ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
                Valdo : The very next pressing issue with that alsurface is the Raytrace ID, when we have intersecting geometry it became green , really really bad, can you fix it soon ? And then after translucency, backlight would close it Any time frame ?
                Anyone know if there is a Raytrace ID in Maya? I'm not aware of there being one. Would be helpful with SSS2. Vlado?

Comment

• It is on the "to do" list for Maya still. How urgent is it for you? For Max, I will try to get it in over the next few days.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

• some new images on the human wiki page...
                    http://www.wikihuman.org/index.php/o...ikihuman-data/

Comment

• great news valdo ! lioking forward to it a lot !

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        It is on the "to do" list for Maya still. How urgent is it for you?
                        Vlado,
                        Sounds like it would be quite important for sss2. Would be great to see it get into Nightlies soon.
                        Last edited by sharktacos; 24-10-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSGFX View Post
                          some new images on the human wiki page...
                          http://www.wikihuman.org/index.php/o...ikihuman-data/

and a write up of the Chaos ALsurface shader too!
                          https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.ph...urface-shader/
                          Last edited by sharktacos; 24-10-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Luc, Have you experimented with the empirical SSS mode on the original ALsurface shader? I understand that it is faster than directional, but better than cubic. Any thoughts? Would it be good to add to the Vray AL surface?

Comment

• The empirical mode is very similar to the VRayFastSSS2 material in raytraced mode. You should understand that none of these modes is inherently any "faster" than the rest, they just produce slightly different results and noise levels.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

• Hmm, when I have experimented with the Vray ALsurface I have found that directional consistently had longer render times than diffusion. Are you getting equal render times for them both?

Comment

Working...
                                X