This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: V-Ray/Blender 2.57

@bdancer - your hair renders here only if I change the physics type from boids to newtonian. Changing this alters the shape of the hair drastically too. Actually even without changing anything and just going in edit mode and back in object mode changes the appearance of your hair totally, I don't know why.
    I don't quite understand particle physics actually and I don't see the relation here - I shouldn't need any physics for a static render and I haven't used one. But my hair renders badly and yours doesn't at all, unless I change the physics type.... Hope that helps!

Comment

maybe we have older vray version than bdancer and thats why he renders hair with no problem, I use official build from 2010 not night builds.
      damn i dont know how to check whats vray version - i dont see info when render starts in termnial as it was used to be. hmm
      mat tests>
      render tests>

Comment

When you say you are using maya hair plugin is this what you are reffering to?
        No. I mean GeomMayaHair plugin. I guess it represents MayaHair.

Btw, my tests shows that bug is only when hair in "Free edit" mode - not enough segments... Will try to ask Blender devs how to handle this. Non-free edit mode hair renders smooth for me.

i dont see info when render starts in termnial as it was used to be.
        Set "Log level" in System tab to "Progress" or "All".
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

You have to use -verboseLevel=4
          Mine is: V-Ray Standalone, version 1.5.01 for x64, Build from Jun 23 2010, 09:28:36, V-Ray core version is 1.90.03

Comment

@FB3000 I tried the described procedure in the links you provided. Unfortunatelly converting 6000 strands to curves is not an option - the process is going for many hours now and has still not finished.
            Hopefully Andrey comes out with something!

Comment

the process is going for many hours now and has still not finished.
              Thats why I suggested you to use custom build - it exports 100,000 hairs in 13 sec (10,000 in 2 sec).

[update]: ah you were talking about converting to curves... =)
              Support Request

Comment

Little question, combed interpolated hair(fur) work with new custom build ?
                I would like to try to use vray for fur rendering,but last time I have tried(sometime ago) the exporter didn't export the interpolated hair from faces(the interpolated option).
                Parting,clumping and noise(roughness) are taken into account ?

Comment

renderdemon, you mean child particles? They are still in progress...
                  Support Request

Comment

Displacement resolution is limited to 2048 (Texture panel -> Displacement -> "Resolution")
                    This input should accept arbitrary values, or at least a much wider range, because this value should be matched to the resolution of the displacement texture for the 2D displacement type.

Comment

Andrey,
                      a question about Irradiance map -> detail enhancement "On" -> "R:" (radius):

can you explain what the value of (for example) 0.06 means when "Screen" mode is selected and what if "World" mode is selected. I don't understand it.

There are no units displayed in the interface and apparently the value doesn't get translated or change when I switch between "Screen" and "World" mode so it is ambiguous. Beside this the value should accept at least 3 digits after the decimal point, to be able to input milimeters if using Metric units.

There are other places in the script UI where the situation is similar. I can make a checklist if you wish.
                      Actually in this case the fix seems very simple. Here is a diff, file - plugins/SettingsGI.py:
                      631c631,632
                      < default= 0.06
                      ---
                      > default= 0.06,
                      > precision= 3

While I am not a python programmer and unfortunately know even less about C, maybe I can provide such simple patches... or maybe not - because I don't know much - for example what does "soft_min" and "soft_max" mean? So it is not much of a help, but nevertheless.

Comment

Scale - this determines the units for the Radius parameter:
                        Screen - the radius is in image pixels.
                        World - the radius is in world units.
                        In world units this will be Blender Unit.

There are other places in the script UI where the situation is similar. I can make a checklist if you wish.
                        This will be great. I know that some values may need more precision, but difficult to track everything myself )

what does "soft_min" and "soft_max" mean?
                        min and max means full range (when manually input value from keybroad). soft min and max are for mouse slide.
                        Support Request

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer
                          Scale - this determines the units for the Radius parameter:
                          Screen - the radius is in image pixels.
                          World - the radius is in world units.
                          Yes, this is the explanation from the docs, but it still doesn't make sense with the actual values - the current default is 0.060 and Screen - the radius can't be 0.06 px., right?

Does the diff I posted work for you? Or maybe it will be better if I attach it as a separate diff files as the one below? (The forum doesn't allow .diff ext)
                          Attached Files

Comment

zmurdz, yes i guess it can't be 0.06 when Screen.

Or maybe it will be better if I attach it as a separate diff files as the one below?
                            Just post params names you want me to correct precision.
                            Support Request

Comment

Yes bdancer, I mean child particles.
                              I have tried to use the fur node(editing the text files),it works more or less but it's not practical.
                              Clumping is really hard to do(if not impossibile) as with a texture I can control the fur direction but not clumping(I have tried to invert local direction with a small circle with opposite directions,it works but it's daunting to do by hand,also the uv space must have no distortion at all to paint the clumping circles.
                              Anyway, thanks for the answer and for the hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by bdancer
                                Just post params names you want me to correct precision.
                                O.K., I will, but since this is not so critical, I'd like to ask first if there are any news around my buggy hair ?

Originally posted by zmurdz
                                can you explain what the value of (for example) 0.06 means when "Screen" mode is selected and what if "World" mode is selected. I don't understand it.
                                Just to answer my own question - when Screen is selected the value is a fraction of the final image size - e.g. if the size of the image is 1600 x 1200 px. 0.06 would mean that the sample size will be 1600*0.06 = 96px. per 1200*0.06 = 72px.

Comment

Working...
                                X