Vray for Blender status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bardo View Post
    Another question: is it planned a Linux version or will be available just for Win (Mac?)
    Currently, we're only working on a Windows version, and it supports the latest Blender 4.1 and 4.2 versions. MacOs and Linux support will be added later based on feedback.
    I'd love to know your opinion if we should support an older version of Blender as well, like Blender 3.6 for example?
    Ivan Shaykov
    chaos.com

Comment

I would focus on the latest builds. The beauty of blender is its fast development. Keeping up with new builds is important.

Comment

Also, Linux support, at the very least for rendering, is critical.

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post

Currently, we're only working on a Windows version, and it supports the latest Blender 4.1 and 4.2 versions. MacOs and Linux support will be added later based on feedback.
          I'd love to know your opinion if we should support an older version of Blender as well, like Blender 3.6 for example?
          I know that you have to look at potential customers and Windows version is obviously a priority... I hope that you'll go with a Linux version as, at home, for my personal jobs, I'm using Linux and I'd like to avoid to run a second boot with Windows just for using Vray with Blender.
          I hope it will be easier for you to give us the linux version and its maintenance.

About your question...well, I'm an owner (with my personal account different from that I'm using at work) of an old Vray standalone version but I don't remember the version...I remember that it worked with Blender 2.7x or something else...probably it was a Vray 3.x version..
          As Joelaff said, as probably you're a small team (or solo dev) dedicated to this project, probably it's better to focus on release and maintain a more updated Vray version.
          I think that this could help also with the transition from 3dsmax libraries or projects using the vrscene format.

But if you'll have time to update that old version to latest Blender...well... why not?

Let's see what you'll show us...
          Last edited by bardo; 12-06-2024, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
            Also, Linux support, at the very least for rendering, is critical.
            It's critical for rendering, but is it required for running Blender (with a GUI and an artist in front of it) on Linux?
            Otherwise, there's always batch rendering or V-Ray Standalone that can be run on Linux (or macOS).

Although Windows is the priority for the moment, we do plan to look into other OSs - "when", however, is still not clear and we want to have the right priorities to work on, that's why we're asking

Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
              Although Windows is the priority for the moment, we do plan to look into other OSs - "when", however, is still not clear and we want to have the right priorities to work on, that's why we're asking
              I haven't any useful suggestions to give you on how to do the right estimation about the OSs market share inside the CG market. I'm quite sure Chaos have many connections with studios and freelancers that are working on CG market and you'll be able to make the right choice (I'm quite sure that freelancers will be more Windows oriented, some studios (the big ones) more Linux??... )
              But as you're asking me, my vote is for adding a Linux version too... just one vote more by me...

Comment

I think the windows workstation, with Linux rendering, is a reasonable approach for now.

If the rendering is via standalone just want to be sure that interactive and standalone match EXACTLY.

This is a problem with Max, that there are differences between the Max version and standalone which can be a pain sometimes. Little inconsistencies and missing features, or plugins that make vrscenes huge, make for a lot of headaches when going the standalone route from Max. We have been doing that over a year on as many projects as possible in order to use cloud rendering without the 4-5x Microsoft tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                  I think the windows workstation, with Linux rendering, is a reasonable approach for now.

If the rendering is via standalone just want to be sure that interactive and standalone match EXACTLY.

This is a problem with Max, that there are differences between the Max version and standalone which can be a pain sometimes. Little inconsistencies and missing features, or plugins that make vrscenes huge, make for a lot of headaches when going the standalone route from Max. We have been doing that over a year on as many projects as possible in order to use cloud rendering without the 4-5x Microsoft tax.
                  This shouldn't be the case here since V-Ray for Blender as well as for Cinema 4D, Maya and Houdini are build a little bit differently from the 3Ds Max integration and having such differences should not be the case as with Max. However, since this is a new version with a lot of code been rewritten I'd expect that something might pop up for fixing hopefully during early development.
                  Ivan Shaykov
                  chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post

I would vote for linux support over old Blender versions. I have no use for Windows.
                    I would expect many studios and freelancers are in the same position

Comment

Working...
                    X