Before and after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flat View Post
    Does this improvement go into 2.40 (maya&3dsMax)?
    There's not much time to test it properly for the 2.4 version... but we'll see.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Phew and I thought that it was just a simple trick with some special settings in the DMC/BSP of VRay.

I will check out the new nightly builds soon.

Paul
      VFX Supervisor @ www.parasol-island.com personal website www.dryzen.com latest reel http://vimeo.com/23603917

Comment

Vlado does this improvement affect shave and haircut hair rendering?
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
          Vlado does this improvement affect shave and haircut hair rendering?
          No, but I sent the shader changes to Joe; it is up to him to integrate them.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

K I'm in the dark. So what is it that the render drop by 80%?

Its pretty great result!
            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

That's some serious optimization right there, btw is there an ETA for the 2.4 release?

Regards, Christian

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                That's some serious optimization right there, btw is there an ETA for the 2.4 release?
                It was supposed to be released already But there remain two important bugs that we want to fix for that release, so hopefully very soon.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

When can we expect this build in an OSX nightly build? the are far and few between

Comment

Amazing optimization. Done 5 times faster!. Brilliant.

Comment

Sooo, this thread seems a bit cryptic.
                      From what I am reading, you made some tweaks to the vraymaterialhair3 shader that sped up the render time by about 5x? And that is available in the latest nightly build as of yesterday?

Comment

Is this a speed up purely with the hair shader or a more general optimization with transparency? As in would this benefit things like leaves / thin surfaces with semi transparent pixels?

Comment

When you open the 2 "before" and "after" pictures, and switch between the two, you see the difference (the "grain" is different).
                          Is it behaving diffently in animation ?
                          If it does not add too much moving noise, this will be terrific !

Comment

Ah, I know! You slowed down the rendering on the shader intentionally in the past, just to remove the bad code now to look good!

Comment

Originally posted by evanerichards View Post
                              From what I am reading, you made some tweaks to the vraymaterialhair3 shader that sped up the render time by about 5x? And that is available in the latest nightly build as of yesterday?
                              Both are correct, yes.

Is this a speed up purely with the hair shader or a more general optimization with transparency? As in would this benefit things like leaves / thin surfaces with semi transparent pixels?
                              For the moment, this is only for the hair shader. It can be done for the regular VRayMtl material as well (or at least, we can put an option for it). It might help with leaves and other tiny transparent stuff, but it might add too much noise for larger transparent surfaces. The hair needs good AA settings anyway, so it makes sense to use the extra AA samples.

When you open the 2 "before" and "after" pictures, and switch between the two, you see the difference (the "grain" is different). Is it behaving diffently in animation? If it does not add too much moving noise, this will be terrific!
                              The optimization adds a little noise, but from my tests, the extra noise is negligible, especially compared to the boost in render times.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Man, I have fur project coming up...I wish I could use this .....
                                Dmitry Vinnik
                                Silhouette Images Inc.
                                ShowReel:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
                                X