Bifrost is coming IN Maya 2015!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bifrost is coming IN Maya 2015!

Bifrost is coming IN Maya 2015 which is huge news, first major update in Maya for years..

Just curious if chaosgroup have any plans for this and if we´ll be able to efficiently render stuff done with this great tool - trillions of particles, foam, smoke, water?

Cheers

Originally posted by timdog View Post
    Bifrost is coming IN Maya 2015 which is huge news, first major update in Maya for years..

Just curious if chaosgroup have any plans for this and if we´ll be able to efficiently render stuff done with this great tool - trillions of particles, foam, smoke, water?

Cheers
    Nope you wont, because this first Bifrost iteration does not have foam itself yet

Comment

bifrost in 2015 is more like a tech demo...
      to much features missing... there is no way to render it with a third party renderer...
      you have to use mental ray...

Comment

In the introductory video it looked like it is possible to save alembic caches, so rendering those would be possible
        Also it looked like they are generating vertex colours for velocity and vorticity.
        We have to look at it, but I think no one has done it, yet.
        V-Ray developer

Comment

Yep, I think even without converting to alembic, we will be able to get all the data from the Maya mesh Bifrost creates. The tricky part will be supporting the bitfrost material.
          V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Originally posted by ivaylo.ivanov View Post
            Yep, I think even without converting to alembic, we will be able to get all the data from the Maya mesh Bifrost creates. The tricky part will be supporting the bitfrost material.
            if anyone was up to the challenge, it's the Chaos team. Looking forward to your magic with this.
            http://www.a52.com

Comment

Yes, no problem rendering bifrost if the meshing is enabled. This is with VRayMtl:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bifrost.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	851653

I'm not sure about this splotch next to the rock though, seems like intersection issue.

Comment

Maybe make a custom node? so u can collect data from biFrost mesh, like foam/speed/vel info -> VrayMtl, just let me know, ill be glad to test it

cheers

btw, where can i get that ver?

Comment

If you have access to the VRay 3.0 nightlies, you can get a build for Maya 2015.

Comment

Yeah got vray 2.4 nightlies to work with alembic geo in Maya 2015 but still cant figure out how to get motionblur.
                    In the alembic geo, there is a world velocity channel (something velocity per second huh?), is it possible to do anything with this?

Comment

Originally posted by timdog View Post
                      Yeah got vray 2.4 nightlies to work with alembic geo in Maya 2015 but still cant figure out how to get motionblur.
                      In the alembic geo, there is a world velocity channel (something velocity per second huh?), is it possible to do anything with this?
                      Is the velocity stored as Alembic velocity or as an extra channel - if the second, what is the channel's name?

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

On the bifrost mesh theres is two vertex color sets named "bifrostVelocity" and "bifrostVorticity"(says in the color set editor), the latter is good for shading foam.
                        Both of them is exported with the alembic mesh using standard Maya 2015 alembic export options (a checkbox named "write color sets")
                        I cant really rename anything here like you can in for example naiad where you have control over channel names etc.
                        Either way it looks like 3d velocity per vertex data and I assume its possible to convert this to something usable in either vray or nuke?

Comment

*UPDATE* Can copy the bifrostVelocity vertex color set and rename it to "v" as I remember preferred by vray , also deleted all other vertex color sets but still no mblur.
                          How does vray mblur work anyway? Does it have two modes, one calculating transformation out of the actual vertexes and another one reading a v channel attached to the vertexes?

Comment

V-Ray is looking for either a "v" or a "velocity" named vector3 array property in the Alembic file (for the moment it must be vector, not color). If this is not present, V-Ray will ask the Alembic library to interpolate the vertices in time. This is only possible if the number of vertices does not change.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I can get some motionblur w vray if I shuffle the Velocity Color Set into the Motion Vector slot of the mesh. It seems to be somewhat correct if not perfect but its very sensitive and I have to crank down the motionblur duration to something like 0.025. In the video you can see its working pretty well but theres also some glitches in the mblur, looking down right , the first seconds, theres some weird "flashing" going on at the edges. I suppose this is because this motionblur is limited to a one frame interpolation and cant curve in its motion? Anyway its a starter: https://vimeo.com/95202751

Comment

Working...
                              X