I can confirm, Bifrost + Metaballs will work in Maya 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	bifrost.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	855596
    V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Ivaylo can you tell me how far are you with bifrost support in maya 2016 and vray 3?

what is supported and what isnt?

thx

Comment

The new Bifrost support is not even in the nightlies yet. Basically we have the liquids working, both with metaballs and direct isosurface rendering. I'm still working on the Aero support, but it's shader looks very similar to our VRayVolumeGrid, so hopefully everything will be done for the SP. Autodesk decided to totally change the Bifrost material in 2016, so it doesn't render right with VRay yet.

Comment

I see, would be great if you could support the particles (foam, splash) to be able to render them, do you think you'll be able to support that? I'm so tired of switching software to be able to render everything. At the moment mr is the only render that supports everything (omg i cant believe )...

Great thing is a isofurface so no need for meshing

btw Aero is, as i know, not in final stage, or implemented 100% into maya, lots of bugs and things like that, so i wouldnt waste too much time on that...

cheers
          Last edited by bazuka; 30-04-2015, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Yes, we can support everything in Maya 2016 (in theory), 2015 is without Bifrost API. Aero really looks very limited currently, probably foam/splashes are more important...
            Last edited by ivaylo.ivanov; 30-04-2015, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Sounds great, thx and good luck

Comment

I played some more with Aero, and I can definitelly say that it's not even beta quality ... It crashes with each rendering (even with MR). It's not a bug in the renderers, but Bifrost itself, so basically, it's unusable at this state. Even so, I tried to add some basic support, so we can just improve it when Bifrost is fixed and hopefully you can do at least test renders...

Comment

Told you

there should be an maya 2016 sp1 soon, where, i hope, they fixed bugs...

dont know what could i tell you, im still stick to naiad, i can bet im my left arm that bifrost will never work inside maya like naiad is working as standalone...

Comment

I wonder can you easily take out the particle caches for the water, splash and foam sims as alembic caches? It seems quite fast and I might have a water job coming up that I'd render in max with frost and krakatoa...

Comment

With out a problem my friend, i can export anything abc, prt, bgeo, vrmesh

Comment

Much appreciated for the reply Bazuka! Looking forward to seeing more tests on your vimeo page!

Do you find the simming is quicker than standalone naiad?

Comment

Thx amigo, i was planing to add some more test, but i was busy almost a half year with some project so i couldnt do anything interesting

well i did couple of test in bifrost (if we are talking about it) and times are almost the same, BIF has a better Flip 2 solver, and the simulations are nicer but there are a lots of bugs and mem leak...

i have a list of bugs, posted also on cgtalk, you wont believe it (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...25&postcount=5)

so like i said im staying in naiad for now
                          Last edited by bazuka; 28-05-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Well, the smoke support was part of supporting velocity/vorticity remaping in the bifrost liquid material. It will be also used in the foam material I think (sory, not ready with this one yet). So it wasn't total waste of time . It seems the biggest cause of crashes was using Maya to read the bifrost data. I turned this off for smoke, and when VRay reads directly the cache files, it doesn't crash so much. I.e. you can at least render something for test . Hopefully this will be in the nightlies next week, if somewone decides to use Bifrost at this state...

Comment

Thx for info ivaylo,

i could give it a try, next week or so, i think i have some of mine old tests

cheers

Comment

Are you not finding any benefit with the adaptive camera bits? I presumed you'd be able to get finer sims with the same memory but if the software is leaky as you say...

Comment

Working...
                                X