Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still a crashing here! on the April 30th nightly. I made things consistent between the 2 UIs. immediate crash on CUDA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	169
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1207734

On the positive side, with 5 days remaining in my trial, I convinced to stick to my v5 license as it seems that I wasted my trial month in troubleshooting. so upgrading still out of my choices right now.​

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_howell View Post
      Having similar issues after updating to 6.20.05 (win 10) cuda crashed so I restarted and tried again it worked. Then switched to rtx and once it starts rendering it crashes rhino (I have 7) installed the nightly update 392283 (6.20.09), still crashed both and noticed my nvidia drivers were out of date and switched to 550 drivers, restarted and tried cpu,rtx and cuda and nothing works now. I did look at the external gpu option and noticed if i switch to rtx close and re-open it still says cuda. I also have a 3d connexion mouse but seems people were having issues with rhino 8 which I don't have. Why did I bother updating? it worked perfectly fine before I installed the update today.
      Hi ryan_howell,

Thank you for the post.
      The more information we can gather the better.
      We are really struggling to identify what's causing the GPU crashes (we have identified one reason but there's obviously more).

Having similar issues after updating to 6.20.05 (win 10) cuda crashed so I restarted and tried again it worked.
      Have you been able to reproduce this again or was it only the first time?

Then switched to rtx and once it starts rendering it crashes rhino (I have 7) installed the nightly update 392283 (6.20.09), still crashed both and noticed my nvidia drivers were out of date and switched to 550 drivers, restarted and tried cpu,rtx and cuda and nothing works now.
      Can you share more details about this?
      What does 'nothing works now' mean? Does it crash when you try to render or is there something else happening?

I did look at the external gpu option and noticed if i switch to rtx close and re-open it still says cuda..
      This is normal, the dropdown in the external tool works more like a UI tab.
      It just toggles the UI between the CUDA and RTX options and makes no other difference.
      I'll notify the GPU team that the UX there can be improved since the current one is a bit confusing.

I also have a 3d connexion mouse but seems people were having issues with rhino 8 which I don't have.
      Have you tried disabling the Space Mouse plugin in Rhino?

Why did I bother updating? it worked perfectly fine before I installed the update today.
      Which V-Ray version were you using before the update?
      Keep in mind you can always go back to it.
      All of the older official V-Ray 6 versions are available​​ on our downloads page (enable the Show all versions checkbox to see them).

Views:	149
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1207881

Regards,
      Konstantin

Comment

Hi denis_sebesta​,

Thank you for the post!

Unfortunately, I have to join others who have a problem with unstability.

I have identified the problem as a problem with the 3DConnexion plugin, which someone here has already mentioned.

I'm using Rhino 8 and I'm redndering with a rtx 4070 Ti gpu. If the plugin is on and I open the file the rendering is fine (doesn't matter if it's interactiv or normal) until I make some change in the settings (turn off depth of field, change material, etc.), in which case the whole rhino crashes.
        However, if I disable the plugin everything works without problem. The crash is always the same no matter what the scene is.​

GPU driver: NVidia studio 552.22
        Engine: Rtx
        Device: GeForce RTX 4070 TI
        Are you actually using a Space Mouse?
        I'm asking since nobody here has one and the crash that you guys have reported is not reproducible even with the plugin enabled.

Comment

​Hi javierrentas​,

Have you tried disabling the 3D connection plugin?
          If that prevents the crashes in your case too, it gives us another clue.

Views:	148
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1207884

Comment

Originally posted by konstantin_chaos View Post
            Hi denis_sebesta​,

Thank you for the post!

Are you actually using a Space Mouse?
            I'm asking since nobody here has one and the crash that you guys have reported is not reproducible even with the plugin enabled.
            Hi konstantin_chaos​,

Unfortunately yes , it's a really important tool in my workflow. Specifically I own a spacmouse pro and also a cadmouse from the same company.

Comment

Thank you for the answer denis_sebesta​,
              I understand its not an option to stop using the SpaceMouse but is it possible for you to disable the 3D connection plugin for a bit just to see if this stops the crashes?

Comment

Thank you for the answer denis_sebesta​,
                I understand its not an option to stop using the SpaceMouse but is it possible for you to disable the 3D connection plugin for a bit just to see if this stops the crashes?
                konstantin_chaos

Yes, if I disable the plugin, everything works properly.
                If I use the previous vray version 6.2. everything works fine even with the plugin enabled, however in this version there was a stability issue when i using gpu interactive redering and objects from chaos cosmos. Which you managed to fix perfectly in the latest update!

Comment

Hi everybody, I just got a hold of a Space Mouse and was able to reproduce the crash - in fact for me it is 100% reproducible.
                  What's interesting is that I had to have the actual device up and running to get the crash...
                  I hope the cause will soon be identified.

Thank you all for the patience and the assistance.

P.S. tay.0​ you were correct all along!

Comment

konstantin_chaos I ended up reverting back to the version I had until i tried updating- older version that is working fine: ( 6.20.02, vray core 6.20.3 and sdk 4.03.00 )

From what I remember I installed the new update without restarting and when I attempted to render CUDA failed, I dont remember if I tried rtx as well. after I restarted and re-rendered (same rhino file for all my testing) CUDA worked but when I got curious and switched to RTX it failed. Thats when I proceeded to install the nightly which I believe failed both and then I checked for nvidia updates and found I had an older version. I don't remember which older version it was but its either 4.74.44 or 5.37.42

anyways, I proceeded to install the latest gpu driver 5.52.22 which as a side note I am currently using and seems to work fine even with the older vray version I re-installed after I gave up on the update.

So once I installed the new nvidia driver and restarted the vray nightly I attempted several times to including multiple restarts to render in all modes including cpu and it failed and crashed. I actually didn't attempt to uninstall my 3dconnexion plugin from rhino, maybe I should have but at the time I thought it was an issue with rhino 8 and I have rhino 7.

Let me know if you haven't already tested the 3d connexion disabled plugin with rhino 7, if you want me to try it just let me know which version update you want me to install and I can try disabling it and test to see if it works. Hopefully you have already figured out what the issue is and will issue a new update for us to test as well.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding what "nothing works now" means. It means I can start rhino, open vray and set up a render for all modes CPU, CUDA, RTX and I would get the same crash and rhino would just close.

Last edited by ryan_howell; 07-05-2024, 04:59 PM.

Comment

konstantin_chaos I ended up reverting back to the version I had until i tried updating- older version that is working fine: ( 6.20.02, vray core 6.20.3 and sdk 4.03.00 )

From what I remember I installed the new update without restarting and when I attempted to render CUDA failed, I dont remember if I tried rtx as well. after I restarted and re-rendered (same rhino file for all my testing) CUDA worked but when I got curious and switched to RTX it failed. Thats when I proceeded to install the nightly which I believe failed both and then I checked for nvidia updates and found I had an older version. I don't remember which older version it was but its either 4.74.44 or 5.37.42

anyways, I proceeded to install the latest gpu driver 5.52.22 which as a side note I am currently using and seems to work fine even with the older vray version I re-installed after I gave up on the update.

So once I installed the new nvidia driver and restarted the vray nightly I attempted several times to including multiple restarts to render in all modes including cpu and it failed and crashed. I actually didn't attempt to uninstall my 3dconnexion plugin from rhino, maybe I should have but at the time I thought it was an issue with rhino 8 and I have rhino 7.

Let me know if you haven't already tested the 3d connexion disabled plugin with rhino 7, if you want me to try it just let me know which version update you want me to install and I can try disabling it and test to see if it works. Hopefully you have already figured out what the issue is and will issue a new update for us to test as well.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding what "nothing works now" means. It means I can start rhino, open vray and set up a render for all modes CPU, CUDA, RTX and I would get the same crash and rhino would just close.

Thank you for the clarification.
                      As I posted yesterday, I now have a Space Mouse and I'm reproducing the crashes which are not GPU-related by the way.
                      The developers are already looking into it.
                      I'll update you on the progress.

Comment

Hi everybody,

We believe we have a solution for the SpaceMouse-related crash.
                        Would you please download and install the following build and let us know if it works:
                        https://nightlies.chaos.com/#/vray6rhino/stable/393726

Thank you in advance,
                        Konstantin

Comment

Hi everybody,

We believe we have a solution for the SpaceMouse-related crash.
                          Would you please download and install the following build and let us know if it works:

Thank you in advance,
                          Konstantin
                          Hi konstantin_chaos​,

I just tried this build and it seems to work perfectly. Good job guys. If I find any problem I will report it
                          Thanks​

Comment

HI konstantin_chaos
                            Hi schultzeworks ​,

We are still investigating these crashes but the reason is a bit illusive.
                            Can you share some more information about your case?
                            What GPU and driver are you using?
                            Are you in CUDA or RTX mode and which devices have you selected for rendering?
                            Are you changing anything whatsoever before you experience the crash?
                            Is the crash scene specific or random in any way?

Thank you in advance,
                            Konstantin
                            Sorry for the delay. I had to stop touble-shooting to finish my deadline.

V-Ray for Rhino 8 / 6.20.03 from March 28 2024
                            GPU = Quadro P5000. Driver = 552.22
                            I render in CPU mode. I have dual XEON CPUs with 24-cores each, so its faster than the GPU or CUDA.
                            ​No change before crash. Just launch the render ... crash!
                            ​I am using a SpacePilot / 3D Navigator

However, it has stopped lately on one computer.

Comment

Hi schultzeworks ​,

Is it still crashing with the latest stable build I shared?

I tested it with the SpacePilot and everything works as expected.

Konstantin

Comment

Hello konstantin_chaos

Hi schultzeworks ​,

Is it still crashing with the latest stable build I shared?

I tested it with the SpacePilot and everything works as expected.

Konstantin
                                Thanks for the reply!
                                Your link took me to a page with dozens of downloads.
                                QUESTION > Is this the correct version:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	1208365

Comment

Working...
                                X