No announcement yet.

Is this product still being updated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this means that in Rhino 5, we can't use and edit Rhino materials while Vray is loaded, it's ok for now that v5 isn't out but...

I really hope things will change in the near future.

Comment

Not sure how much of their material structure we are going to support. It could be useful to a point... but what happens when you want to create a toon material, or a 2sided material, or a layered material that has options that rhino materials don't have? For this release anyway, we aren't planning to integrate with Rhino materials.
      Last edited by dkendig; 15-06-2011, 08:21 AM.
      Best regards,
      Devin Kendig
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by ALTO View Post
        So this means that in Rhino 5, we can't use and edit Rhino materials while Vray is loaded, it's ok for now that v5 isn't out but...
        Hi Alto,

I'm not sure how V-Ray stops you from using the basic Rhino materials if that is what you want to use. Could you explain what you mean by this? Or maybe explain what feature it is that makes you prefer the Rhino material over the V-Ray materials? Unfortunately, materials are specific to their underlying renderer- there are common things, but then there are many differences. Even in Max and Maya V-Ray is setup to work best with the V-Ray shader.

Do you mean you want better support of rendering existing Rhino materials like automatically making a V-Ray shader that uses the color, transparency, bump, and environment textures?

I'm sure we can figure something out to help with your workflow if you can help me understand what you are trying to do. Thanks
        Best regards,
        Joe Bacigalupa
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Hi Joe,
          we have different library meshes with Rhino standard materials applied for different uses, some of them are for realtime visualization (R5 rendered shadow mode) but sometimes we need to do quick renders so recreate all materials will be very time consuming, others are only for easy translations between render engines (we use quite often Maxwell and Vray at the same time) and again fine-tune every material will be really a pain...

Well in Rhino4 all is work as expected while in Rhino5 if i switch to Vray, the Material Editor disappear and if i try to edit the Standard Material by Object properties i got this message "This selection can not edited here", so i can import and render object with rhino materials but not edit them nor create new ones.

Originally posted by joe_b View Post
          Do you mean you want better support of rendering existing Rhino materials like automatically making a V-Ray shader that uses the color, transparency, bump, and environment textures?
          Actually the internal translation of rhino materials is quite good, only bump seems not working correctly (is always too strong) also transparency is not translated at all, having an option that convert rhino materials into new vray materials (with the same name properties etc) would be very handy.
          Of course a better viewport visualization of vray shaders (bump, transparency, alpha map, texture tiling, procedurals etc), if possible, would be very welcome too!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ALTO View Post
            Well in Rhino4 all is work as expected while in Rhino5 if i switch to Vray, the Material Editor disappear and if i try to edit the Standard Material by Object properties i got this message "This selection can not edited here", so i can import and render object with rhino materials but not edit them nor create new ones.
            Weird, ok I haven't seen that message before. I'll see if I can track down why that is happening.
            Best regards,
            Joe Bacigalupa
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

We never intended for the current release to work with Rhino 5 at all, so just to clarify, the way that V-Ray for Rhino works with Rhino 4 is sufficient, but you were concerned that the behavior you were seeing when using that version with Rhino 5? Additional functionality would be nice, but the functionality that exists when using the product with Rhino 4 works for you?
              Best regards,
              Devin Kendig
              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Yes it works in rhino4, in fact i was only asking about the Beta you're working on and Rhino5, so at the moment is not a big problem.

Comment

good, I think the current state of the beta should satisfy your needs. Open beta shouldn't be too far off, so we will keep an eye out for your feedback when that happens
                  Best regards,
                  Devin Kendig
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

It would be nice if rhino materials could be used for large architecture scenes with many billboard objects (diffuse map + transparency map). The problem is that Rhino need alpha maps and Vray needs transparency maps (inverted alpha). Bump support would be great too.

PS: Now I can post at the new VfR forum again.
                    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Any news on the release of the Beta? If not how about a list of new features to look forward to?

Comment

We were hoping to go to beta prior to Siggraph, but we've been busy trying to pump out some nice features for the event, and haven't really had the need for more feedback yet. We do plan on doing an open beta soon, but it will likely not happen until after Siggraph is over. IES Lights, Proxies, and quite a few additional settings tossed in here and there are some features that are heading your way in the new update. Of course there's more, but I think I'll hold off on commenting until we finish trying to ramp up for Siggraph.
                        Best regards,
                        Devin Kendig
                        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I know you're tired of this question, but how are things going with the development for the next iteration of VfR? I'm starting to feel like a donkey being led on my an unattainable carrot. Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Comment

Well 2012 is only a month away. This thread, "Is this product still being updated" has been alive for years and still no new release. What is the story? Seems like it's time to jump ship.

Comment

From what I know, the beta period for the next release is scheduled to start in a few days.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

But please no official beta with to much known bugs. It would cause a lot communication work and to much time for the new testers, who report the old bugs again. A schedule doesn't help here, only if the developing team is nearly ready to fix all bugs and more feedback is needed than an official beta should be released.
                                www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
                                X