V-Ray 3.30.01 BETA! available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
    Well, I advise leaving the radiometrically linear light transport equation alone.
    As you can already see from the samples above, the colormapping done this way skews the light distribution in ways which won't be recoverable in post.
    Also, I like the fact that if i double a light intensity, it actually doubles in my VFB, instead of going up by maybe, umh, yeh much, kinda.

Way too many times, during my time at a certain company, i was asked to double a certain light's intensity ("stop it up, will ya?"), but given we were under LOG instead of Linear (ie. closer to what lowering burn does to your highlights), doubling a light intensity in the UI meant absolutely nothing could be expected from the render, as the resulting intensity would more than double in the faintest areas, and less than double in the brighter ones, often less than perceptibly so.
    Cue endless to-and-fro, borked daily sessions, babysitting at the UI to make sure we actually did double the light (forreal.), and so on.

How anyone could wish to work in a non-linear environment escapes me, especially when actually given the option. ^^
    Oh, I read you loud and clear. I come from a photograph background and there is obviously no such things as tweaking the light with a "burn value".

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
    edit: speaking of colormapping and endless looping, that's roughly the name of my past week trying to get a viable interior scene to be set up for proper comparison.
    Anything coming from the internet (commercially so!) seems to be obstinately set up with all sorts of colormapping weirdness, to compensate for lighting and shaders odd setups.
    I'd be all ears for a collection of scenes, or even just the ONE scene set up with proper LWF, so that i could then compare apples to apples, instead of turning a pear into an apple to compare it with an apple.
    Which is as convoluted as it sounds. ^^
    Yes, I know I had to try to "debug" a Evermotion scene or two.

And your mission sounds almost like a mission impossible for sure, but if someone is a man to fix it, it is you!

Comment

• This update is really great. One thing I noticed that I didn't see in the notes is that the shadows pass from lights using a texture seem a lot cleaner. Good work.

Comment

• Can't put into words how excited I get when these updates come out. I really appreciate your guys' hard work.

I have a question though. I always hear about these "nightly" versions. Where do I access them? I only see the beta and last stable version in download section.

Thanks guys!!

-Alex
        Last edited by marksmanguy; 22-11-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by marksmanguy View Post
          Can't put into words how excited I get when these updates come out. I really appreciate your guys' hard work.

I have a question though. I always hear about these "nightly" versions. Where do I access them? I only see the beta and last stable version in download section.

Thanks guys!!

-Alex
          It's a separate address and special access is required. Is there any specific reason to use such a build? Since they are "Nightly" builds we always advice our users to use the official ones for production.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

• Hi Tashko, thanks for the reply. No specific reason. It was more out of curiosity because I keep hearing about them. I will wait for the full stable version. Thanks!

Comment

• Yeah, sometimes things go bump in the nightly.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• I've noticed that rendering large scenes and scenes that take long to render eventually crash Max with this beta release. I cannot tell you what it is exactly from the scenes that are crashing Vray and Max. I tried a newer nightly and it crashed also, I was trying to render a large scene for a Gear VR, so high resolution also. I downgraded to the 3.2 and all is rendering fine so far. Are you guys aware of any bug? This really sucks cause 3.3 is awesome, but I do realize its the beta.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
                  Are you guys aware of any bug? This really sucks cause 3.3 is awesome, but I do realize its the beta.
                  Nope, I'm not aware of any issues. If you can get us a scene where we can reproduce this, it would be great. Otherwise the bug will be present in future versions too.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Definitely looks like a bug. After about one hour of rendering this scene, 3.3 and the nightly both crash max. Went back to 3.2 and it has been rendering for about 7hrs no problem. I have to figure out how I would send this scene, it's about 1 gig in size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
                      Definitely looks like a bug. After about one hour of rendering this scene, 3.3 and the nightly both crash max. Went back to 3.2 and it has been rendering for about 7hrs no problem. I have to figure out how I would send this scene, it's about 1 gig in size.
                      We can provide our FTP for that, please contact us via our support mail (support@chaosgroup.com) to send you the login details.
                      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

• I also had several crashes with the beta 3.30.01. When rendering and trying to cancel the render sometimes max just crashes. Also I had a render that took around 1 hour or 2 and suddenly some frames were rendering since 5 hour and just had half the picture rendered. It was a scene with just an object with displacement, SSS (translucency) in a blend material and a cyclo behind. I know it's abeta but it still work better than many softwares sold as "final version" and since 3dsmax has a nice autosave and recover capability, I didn't loose any work.
                        Last edited by jstrob; 24-11-2015, 02:42 PM.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                        Little Antman
                        See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                        Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                          Also I had a render that took around 1 hour or 2 and suddenly some frames were rendering since 5 hour and just had half the picture rendered. It was a scene with just an object with displacement, SSS (translucency) in a blend material and a cyclo behind.
                          If you can contact our support guys at support@chaosgroup.com and get us that scene it will be very helpful to find and fix the problem.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            If you can contact our support guys at support@chaosgroup.com and get us that scene it will be very helpful to find and fix the problem.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I sent it. Thanks Vlado!

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                            Little Antman
                            See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                            Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• I also have many crashes during rendering with the new Beta. I comes irratic, so it´s not possible, to see any special issue. But often the crash happens, when switching between adaptiv and progessive image sampler. And mostly after finished the LC prepass at the starting the final rendering...
                              www.vis-art.de
                              www.facebook.com/visart3d

Comment

• Originally posted by lightpixel View Post
                                I also have many crashes during rendering with the new Beta. I comes irratic, so it´s not possible, to see any special issue. But often the crash happens, when switching between adaptiv and progessive image sampler. And mostly after finished the LC prepass at the starting the final rendering...
                                Do you get the 3ds Max CER dialog? If yes, can you send the crash files to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X