No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.30.01 BETA! available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for explaining , that what i was thinking as well. Actually if VRayPortal will not change overall lighting / brightness than actually i can add a vrayportal to that backplane ? I just want to try to find a way where i add / change minimum stuff which will affect lighting setup.
    Available for remote work.
    My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

• Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
      Actually if VRayPortal will not change overall lighting / brightness than actually i can add a vrayportal to that backplane ? I just want to try to find a way where i add / change minimum stuff which will affect lighting setup.
      Yes, you can try adding a portal just a bit in front of the bounce plane (but not exactly on top of it) and slightly larger. Make sure the "simple" option in the portal light is OFF.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
        ...which have close to full white diffuse and reflection), which adds to the noise...
        Best regards,
        Vlado
        Hmmm I didn't know full white REFLECTION also adds noise. Does the same rule apply as for diffuse then? keep "white" for REFLECTION also in the range of 190,190,190 or so?
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

• The values one reads in an Albedo table are the SUM of diffuse and reflection, as in nature there is no such a separation: everything IS a reflection if it bounces right off a surface.
          Varying by the angle as it may be, a tarmac with an Albedo of 0.05 has to have the SUM of diffuse and reflection no higher than 5% of 255 (say, 13.).
          A scanned black leather patch (the one from the scanned material samples) under diffuse white lighting returns a value of 0.004 (or 1 point of 8bit value), and within that range there's all the variation one needs.
          It helps little to keep diffuse low, and then splat super strong glossies on top: at some angle that super reflectivity will affect rays, which then will bounce around the scene to reappear where one least expects them.
          It's an unfortunate heritage of the old school approaches: these days, the LIGHTS are very close to their real counterparts (read: VERY bright), and we ask the renderer to bounce their rays around a lot, so it's all the more important to get the shading right, or these accidents will happen.
          And even if one found the ultimate way to trace all those caustic paths to their correct end, a scene with the wrong shaders on would still have unrealistic caustic patterns and overall lighting levels (so it's actually good we "only" get fireflies... :P ).
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Vlado.
            Yeah here is a problem. This is not my lighting workflow , it may be strange, but that is how things are done here and my job is to try to squeeze best render time possible out of it.
            I wonder if VRayLight portal changes lighting intencity ? As i understand it should not ? Also back plane is not just reflective , it has HDRi on it , imitating soft box light.
            How do you think it can be worked around ? Do you think a vray light with this mapped texture can produce the same result ?
            Oleg and Vlado....

I'm still in the process of learning the best approach of lighting in Vray, so I don't really understand the idea behind this bounce card or back plane outside, that you are talking about? What light is it bouncing? Vray Sun? Because that doesn't make any sense to me from a photograph standpoint. You might have a bounce card inside, but outside? Hmmm....

Also, if it is merely emitting light from a HDRI map, isn't the proper way to do this a Vray Light Dome with the HDRi map in the texture slot?

Anyway, so far I prefer to use either Vray Sun, Vray Light Dome (with or without a HDRi map) and simple Vray Lights instead of any bounce cards/reflectors. I remember that Reflectors tend to add noise in MODO, so I assume that this is the same issue in Vray. But maybe I'm not creative enough.

Comment

• Sorry Willie , but i cannot really get into details about our workflow , that was developed in studio and i cannot really explain how it works as i am under NDA with this... But results you can see at http://www.pikcells.com/portfolio/

Comment

Sorry Willie , but i cannot really get into details about our workflow , that was developed in studio and i cannot really explain how it works as i am under NDA with this... But results you can see at http://www.pikcells.com/portfolio/
                Hi Oleg....

Ok, no problem - and your renders looks good. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some new advanced way to doing an interior lighting.

Comment

• quick test on a difficult scene i had to deal with recently (vlado will probably remember my damn swimming pool shot)

scene was probably quite well optimised already, however 3.2 i got a time of 1hr 45 mins, and 3.3 gave 1 hr 22 minutes. end result almost identical, but the image definitely looked nicer from very early on, and could have been stopped earlier if id needed to. that was always problematic with the old method, as youd have patches of noise. new way is nice and even over the whole image.

id like to test the MSR prepass, even if vlado says its not ready for use yet...

could you tell me the maxscript to enable it?

Comment

• I posted my benchmarks with vray 3.10.01 embree off and on, vray 3.25.01 and vray 3.30.01. There is not much difference between 3.25 and 3.3 but 3.3 is almost 2 times faster than vray 3.10 for that scene.
                    http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...476#post671476

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                    Little Antman
                    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• Originally posted by WilleViz View Post
                      Hi Oleg....

Ok, no problem - and your renders looks good. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some new advanced way to doing an interior lighting.
                      Just one remark - i work in this studio for 5 months only as Technical Supervisor , so basically i have nothing to do with developing that workflow or making images presented
                      But no , you did not miss anyting. All the logic comes from real world observations and photography tests. And of course details details details

I am quite curious if Irradiance map will be developed further , are there any plans for that ? It still has quite a lot of fans !

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        I may be preparing a short tutorial to show what scanned materials do, versus some of the usual principled (ie. hand-made) shaders of the same stuff: to give you an idea, the reflectivity amount for average glasses is between 5 and 20% (not the usual white-ish!), the albedo for most metals is between 30 and 60% (albedo is the sum of both diffuse and reflection/spec), and so on and so forth.
                        That translates in energy not dissipating well at all, and VRay ends up trying to trace paths which not even real life sports, so to speak...
                        This would be greatly appreciated, and very helpful...looking forward to learning from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajroane View Post
                          This would be greatly appreciated, and very helpful...looking forward to learning from you.
                          I'd love to hear about this as well!
                          3LP Team

Comment

• Hi, I don't know if I am posting in the relevant thread, sorry if I'm wrong but I would really like to have a VrayUserBitmap.
                            The same way the VrayUserColor works, but with a string variable that points on a path\name to make the same shader point on different bitmaps...

Comment

• Hey, to avoid having your post lost in the comments, I'd recommend making a new subject in the wishlist section :
                              http://forums.chaosgroup.com/forumdi...s-Max-Wishlist

Stan
                              3LP Team

Comment

• Thanks for the great speed performance.
                                I however get way more noise when reopening an existing image (as what I can see on most images from this thread)
                                Alain Blanchette
                                www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                                X