V-Ray 3.30.01 BETA! available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
    Thanks, Vlado , is there a particular reason for switching to new color transformation ? Just curious.
    Well, I've been told that some people like it better. And technically it is the correct thing to do; most things related to CG nowadays assume the sRGB color space; the CIE color space was a good idea, but it's very unconventional.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• is it valid to use 0 on object´s subdivisions with fine geometry( example, grass)? or is not necessary
      Surrealismo
      https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

• It's not necessary unless "use local subdivs" is checked.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo.surrealismo View Post
          is it valid to use 0 on object´s subdivisions with fine geometry( example, grass)? or is not necessary
          It's still valid. For some objects (hair, fur, ForestPro), V-Ray already knows to do this automatically. However for other geometry, setting it manually to 0.0 in the object properties might help.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

• What are your thought about scenes, where lighting is heavily dependent on Global Illumination , but Direct Lighting takes small part of it ?
            Screenshots of elements attached.
            Also i've rendered this with irradiance map and old universal settings (1-100 and that kind of stuff) , it took 46 minutes to finish , looked ok.
            This new test is with bruteforce , i am trying to convince to switch workflow to bruteforce , so if i will get a nice looking "almost" clean image in reasonable time - well at least 1 hr 30 minutes - that will be great !
            Do you think it is possible in this kind of situation ?
            Lighting setup is not trivial really , but i cannot change that - not my domain... working with what i have.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Lighting.png
Views:	1
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	858906 Click image for larger version

Name:	RawGI.jpg
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	858907 Click image for larger version

Name:	reflection.jpg
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	858908 Click image for larger version

Name:	samplerate.jpg
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	858909

I am trying to render with progressive sampler , settings are by default , limit of time is 46 minutes , to see what i can achieve in the same timeframe.
            What i noticed is that for some reason there are a lot of AA samples on right wall. That is quite strange , there are more reflection details there , though isn't that handled by shading rays ?

Floor is heavily sampled because there is a contrasty texture on it , something like 3d checker pattern with black / grey / white.
            Last edited by Oleg_Budeanu; 13-11-2015, 10:06 AM.
            Available for remote work.
            My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
              It's still valid. For some objects (hair, fur, ForestPro), V-Ray already knows to do this automatically. However for other geometry, setting it manually to 0.0 in the object properties might help.
              Meh, indeed, sorry i was sloppy.
              I assumed you were talking of procedural geometry (ie. fur/hair/forestpro and so on).
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Do you think it is possible in this kind of situation?
                I guess try and see what comes out of it Beyond a certain point, there isn't much more that can be done through shuffling the samples.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

• well yeah i am trying , but not really lucky for now
                  I just wonder why it places so much samples on right wall ? I have MSR of 20 , noise thresh of 0.005 and no local subdivs usage. No displace there or something. Only bump and reflection.

Comment

well yeah i am trying , but not really lucky for now
                    I just wonder why it places so much samples on right wall ? I have MSR of 20 , noise thresh of 0.005 and no local subdivs usage. No displace there or something. Only bump and reflection.
                    Well, you can get me the scene if you like and I can check what's going on. You can send it to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Well, you can get me the scene if you like and I can check what's going on. You can send it to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Sent it , thanks a lot !
                      Though it is in 2016 max only, hope that is fine.

Comment

Sent it , thanks a lot ! it is in 2016 max only, hope that is fine.
                        Yes, thanks! So far it seems that a lot of noise is coming from a bounce card right outside the window (that's why the right wall is so hard to sample). I added a light portal on the window and it seems better, but if you can remove the bounce card or replace it with an actual light, it will be even better.

Also a lot of you materials are unrealistically bright (like the white tiles, which have close to full white diffuse and reflection), which adds to the noise.

If you don't need the render elements, you can disable them for an additional speed boost - especially the AO element produces a lot of additional rays (or at least you can reduce the sampling on the VRayDirt texture).

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Last edited by vlado; 13-11-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I added a light portal on the window and it seems better, ..........or replace it with an actual light, it will be even better.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I have a similar situation. A very LARGE interior space (think warehouse size), with windows and the main light is GI from the vraysky. I added a dome light in skylight portal position, but things still seem very slow.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
                            I have a similar situation. A very LARGE interior space (think warehouse size), with windows and the main light is GI from the vraysky. I added a dome light in skylight portal position, but things still seem very slow.
                            I don't know about dome light, I just added a rectangle portal light on the window.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

• Thanks Vlado.
                              Yeah here is a problem. This is not my lighting workflow , it may be strange, but that is how things are done here and my job is to try to squeeze best render time possible out of it.
                              I wonder if VRayLight portal changes lighting intencity ? As i understand it should not ? Also back plane is not just reflective , it has HDRi on it , imitating soft box light.
                              How do you think it can be worked around ? Do you think a vray light with this mapped texture can produce the same result ?

Comment

I wonder if VRayLight portal changes lighting intencity?
                                It didn't change it in my tests. If you convert the bounce card to a rectangle light, you might not need the portal.

Also back plane is not just reflective , it has HDRi on it , imitating soft box light.
                                Yes, I saw that; it's a horrible approach, just adds tons of noise.

How do you think it can be worked around ? Do you think a vray light with this mapped texture can produce the same result ?
                                Yes it can get you a similar result and would produce much less noise.

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X