V-Ray 3.30.01 BETA! available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SampleRate with Progressive

Is it normal for the samplerate to flip/flop between 2 versions?

Had an image on for 90 minutes and it went through about 40 passes. Every few passes it changes the samplerate between a version that is mostly white with lot of green and another with a lot of red and blue.

* It started out just white with about 5% red
    * red and blue/green
    * white and green/blue
    * red and blue/green
    * white and green/blue
    * red and blue/green
    * white and green/blue

I thought it's suppose to clean up as it goes? It's almost asif it went through a few passes then decides "oh no, wait maybe the previous one was better" then it switches back

After 90 minutes at 3200 the image was still pretty noisy

I tried siwtching to Adaptive with defaults but cancelled it after 3 hours when it said estimated time left another 20 hours
    Switching to IR/LC and upping the max AA to 100 got it down to estimated 8 hours.

Would be good if I can get it down to about 2 hours (any method) as long as it is a bit cleaner.

It's a difficult one. It's a "LARGE warehouse sized" space with windows right around fullheight single story. In the centre it's tripple volume with windows at the op 3rd right around. My subject and camera is in the centre of this large space (subject covers about 10% of the space and I'm zoomed in on subject)

There's only a sun lighting the scene (mostly). I added a dome light in skylight portal mode to get some specular into the scene (seems to render slightly quicker) I added an invisiple poly with a vraylight mtl to add to GI brightness in the scene.

Lot of glossies! I'm geussing the main reason it's so slow is the lack of lgihting inside the place (although the light coming in is very bright) The SHARP contrast between inside and outside on the edges of the windows is making the AA work VERY HARD.

OK enough rambling. I realise it's difficult to give advice without seeing an image :- (
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

• Originally posted by savage309 View Post
      The benchmark #2 scene setup for example seems to render twice as slow, compared to 3.20.03. But in fact, because of the many bug fixes, the result in 3.30.01 is completely different - much more GI, much more light inside the scene, more reflection and refraction bounces. So the render speed for the benchmark scene is in fact the same, there are just more rays and the result is quite different and more accurate. If you want to have the same result as in 3.20.03 you will have to change some of its settings.
      But I would definitely like to take a look and check your scene, if possible.

For the in-process-rt-engine I guess it is what it is for the moment.
      Who do I send the scene too? Also it didn't take twice as long, I stopped it there, it probably could of gone on for several hours. All the settings are the same as 3.2, what would I have to change for it to render like 3.2?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiri.Matys View Post
        I make some speed tests in new VRay 3.30 and Forest Pack Pro 5.
        Well, that's beyond even my expectations, but very good to see it

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
          Also Using Titan X in TCC Mode Seems to be a major issue, you can't monitor it's temp, fans, nothing. and You can seem to set fan speed curve profiles, or fan adjustments so that it runs cooler for rendering. What is the solution here? hope it's not just using it as the DR.
          Well, we can always make it work like before with an option, and open a command-line server for the actual rendering. Would that work for you?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Well, we can always make it work like before with an option, and open a command-line server for the actual rendering. Would that work for you?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I think that would be great to have an option to do that. Right now I love how fast it loads and the texture caching of it running right in max. but it doesn't seem to play nice with secondary cards for compute which I feel many have. I'll leave that up to you geniuses to figure out Would I still get the texture cache, or would I lose that going back to the old way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
              I tried siwtching to Adaptive with defaults but cancelled it after 3 hours when it said estimated time left another 20 hours
              Switching to IR/LC and upping the max AA to 100 got it down to estimated 8 hours.

Would be good if I can get it down to about 2 hours (any method) as long as it is a bit cleaner.

It's a difficult one. It's a "LARGE warehouse sized" space with windows right around fullheight single story. In the centre it's tripple volume with windows at the op 3rd right around. My subject and camera is in the centre of this large space (subject covers about 10% of the space and I'm zoomed in on subject)
              Ugh, that sounds like a torture render test or something. I assume that it is NDA and you can't share it so others could have a go at it?

Does it help if you raise the MSR from 6 til 12? And change the Tone Mapping to Exponential? Maybe if you do a small region render check somewhere?

Anyway, I think that you need the experts to step in on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
                Who do I send the scene too? Also it didn't take twice as long, I stopped it there, it probably could of gone on for several hours. All the settings are the same as 3.2, what would I have to change for it to render like 3.2?
                You can send it to blagovest.taskov@chaosgroup.com
                If it is too big and you need to host it somewhere, I can forward details how to upload it on our FTP.
                V-Ray fan.
                Looking busy around GPUs ...
                RTX ON

Comment

I make some speed tests in new VRay 3.30 and Forest Pack Pro 5. And its amazing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26892[/ATTACH]

First picture: VRay 3.2 + Forest Pack 4.4.1 - 10:44
                  Second picture: VRay 3.3 + Forest Pack 5 - 5:44 (!!!!!!!)
                  Third picture: VRay 3.3 with new sky model + Forest Pack 5 - 5:46
                  Fourd picture: VRay 3.3 with new sky model and caustics + FP 5 - 5:52

Its amazing, how fast is this!
                  Are these out of the box caustics? No tricks with single spotlights or something?
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

• SampleRate

OK so here's a resized crop.

This is what it looks like after 90 minutes (everything default)
                    The whole image is very noisy and I especially get very hard AA issues on the outside window edges and geometry in front of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	samplerate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	858874

So do I:
                    1) Instead of 90 Minutes, leave it run for 180 minutes?
                    or
                    2) Leave it on 90 minutes, but INCREASE max AA of 100 to maybe 200 and DECREASE noise from 0.005 to 0.003

A) What's the difference of leaving it run for longer and leave it same time but change the AA and Noise?
                    B) How to get better AA beteen outside and inside with the harsh brightness contrast?

If I switch to Adapative, the image is MUCH cleaner and looks perfect (I didn't wait for it to get to the window parts before I cancelled) The downside of Adaptive is that it wants to take 25 hours! Also tried with IR/LC but still wants to take forever
                    Last edited by Morne; 12-11-2015, 03:18 AM.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

• Vizionen:

Hi,

its normal caustics from vray sun, nothing fancy.
                      AMD TR 7980X, 256GB DDR5, GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, Win 10 Pro
                      ---------------------------
                      2D | 3D | web | video
                      jiri.matys@gmail.com
                      ---------------------------
                      https://gumroad.com/jirimatys
                      https://www.artstation.com/jiri_matys
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAv...Rq9X_wxwPX-0tg
                      https://www.instagram.com/jiri.matys_cgi/
                      https://www.behance.net/Jiri_Matys
                      https://cz.linkedin.com/in/jiří-matys-195a41a0

Comment

• I got an idea/wish!

Would it be possible to add a Color Threshold per object in the V-Ray object properties - like we have a Subdivs multiplier now? It should act as an override for the global Color Threshold of course.

I'm asking because you can get away with a Color Threshold value of 0.01 on some materials, but others need 0.008 or even 0.006 if you're demanding. This way you can optimize render times fairly easy.

Yes, I'm officially a big fan of the way Color Threshold works in Vray 3.3.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilleViz View Post
                          I got an idea/wish!

Would it be possible to add a Color Threshold per object in the V-Ray object properties - like we have a Subdivs multiplier now? It should act as an override for the global Color Threshold of course.

I'm asking because you can get away with a Color Threshold value of 0.01 on some materials, but others need 0.008 or even 0.006 if you're demanding. This way you can optimize render times fairly easy.

Yes, I'm officially a big fan of the way Color Threshold works in Vray 3.3.
                          Wouldn't it be better to make the threshold per material then instead of per object because then objects with multiple materials are left out.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Vizionen:

Hi,

its normal caustics from vray sun, nothing fancy.
                            Nice, that's quite fast then
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

• Yes, I'll work on something and share.
                              Originally posted by Morne View Post
                              Bobby can you show your VFB vs PS please? The one I'm busy with is NDA
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com
                              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• I'll just throw this in here:
                                If you apply Color Correction to your VFB image, and then "Save All Channels" into an EXR, the CC will not be applied.
                                If the CC applied favoured contrast, it also enhanced noise, which would explain why the saved EXR was cleaner looking.
                                But then, maybe it is a bug.
                                Lele
                                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                                ----------------------
                                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X